Hmmmm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Hmmmm

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a big oak (48” or more at the stump) get blown over during a storm last summer and it in turn knocked over three poplar trees . I just got finished cleaning up all four . A friend came over and we cut up a loaded all the oak on his 8 ton trailer . He got six loads ! I cut up almost all the poplar for myself . We don’t hear with wood but have four fireplaces and if we have an extended power outage during cold weather I like using poplar so I can get the main floor of the house hot , then haul the ashes out before bed and close the damper. So another friend brought his wood splitter over for me to use , my days of busting wood with a maul or pretty much s thing of the past !
BE0482C5-1E65-4C8E-A07D-1D52177A0998.jpeg
51709A6E-4E71-4AAF-BD9B-D717F8A03D6D.jpeg
0BC074C8-69E6-401C-BD19-AEF6E1AD67B5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hmmmm

Post by jnyork »

Nothing like using the right tool for the job. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have gotten down my firewood pile and I'm now using my reserve pile, the only seasoned wood I have is beech that the log splitter gave up on. Already looking for next winters supply. Your splitter looks like in would split mine with ease.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:15 pm I have gotten down my firewood pile and I'm now using my reserve pile, the only seasoned wood I have is beech that the log splitter gave up on. Already looking for next winters supply. Your splitter looks like in would split mine with ease.
I think my friend told me the cylinder is rated at 25,000 pounds and I think he said the sticker on that thing was $1,700 . Hopefully what I bust up with that thing I’ll never need .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Our only heat has been a wood furnace, for the past 30 years. Temperatures mostly range from 0 to 80 Fahrenheit, with extremes from 36 below to 104 degrees above that I remember during my lifetime.

For the first two years I was young and energetic and used a "Monster-Maul" splitter to do it by hand. Then I bought a 26 ton hydraulic splitter, and I've used that ever since. I wound up replacing the hydraulic last year, because I wasn't sure why it had lost power, but when that didn't help, I wound up buying a pressure gauge and figuring out that the problem was a leaky seal in the cylinder, so I replaced the cylinder since I needed it fixed in a hurry, and didn't know how to replace the seals.

The original cost was around $600 or so and the new pump and cylinder put that total investment up to about a thousand, but now it's good to go plus I have an extra cylinder I can probably rebuild for about $25 or $30, and an extra pump that is perfectly good, so at some point I see a hydraulic project of some sort in the works.

Maybe for resizing really tough brass..... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:18 pm Our only heat has been a wood furnace, for the past 30 years. Temperatures mostly range from 0 to 80 Fahrenheit, with extremes from 36 below to 104 degrees above that I remember during my lifetime.

For the first two years I was young and energetic and used a "Monster-Maul" splitter to do it by hand. Then I bought a 26 ton hydraulic splitter, and I've used that ever since. I wound up replacing the hydraulic last year, because I wasn't sure why it had lost power, but when that didn't help, I wound up buying a pressure gauge and figuring out that the problem was a leaky seal in the cylinder, so I replaced the cylinder since I needed it fixed in a hurry, and didn't know how to replace the seals.

The original cost was around $600 or so and the new pump and cylinder put that total investment up to about a thousand, but now it's good to go plus I have an extra cylinder I can probably rebuild for about $25 or $30, and an extra pump that is perfectly good, so at some point I see a hydraulic project of some sort in the works.

Maybe for resizing really tough brass..... :D
Thirty plus years ago when I had steam engines I was forever combing the woods on our property for dead trees or blow downs . I loved dry locust for the engines . Anyway I busted all I cut for them with a maul or sledge and wedge . I’d bust up wood for a couple hours and when I was done the joints in my hands didn’t want to open lols !