M1A vs AR-10 accuracy....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

M1A vs AR-10 accuracy....

Post by AJMD429 »

I've not shot either enough to tell if there is a definitive difference (...like most guns, they are all more accurate than I can shoot most of the time, so misses are usually due to ME, and not the gun... :oops: ).

With their smaller counterparts, the AR-15 pretty much always seems to out-shoot the Mini-14, unless the latter has been heavily modified. That's not to say I dislike Mini-14's, but regard them more as 'truck guns' for that reason. It took me quite a few years to admit that a 'plastic' gun like the AR-15 had anything over the awesomely handy, compact, and wooden-stocked Mini-14, but the accuracy and modularity and threaded muzzle finally swayed me.

So, do you think an average AR-10 is similarly going to be consistently more accurate than an average M1A...?

It always seemed to me that the AR-10 is so HUGE and ungainly relative to the M1A, that I'm willing to put up with a bit less accuracy, for the heavy-but-less-ungainly M1A. (Plus like many others here, I like the 'traditional wood stock'... :wink: ).

If I get around to it, somewhere in my things-to-do-this-summer list is to work up accuracy loads for my M1A and AR-10, and see if they are both 'keepers', but until then, I guess I'll have to just wonder about the accuracy difference.

In the meantime, for any of those here who've shot both - I'd be interested in your experiences.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: M1A vs AR-10 accuracy....

Post by Paladin »

I fired a match grade M-14 a for few years on a DOD rifle team and carried an M-14 with a 16-inch barrel in Iraq. I do like M-14/M1A's. I own an AR-10 carbine which I put a free float forearm on and it shoots as well as my Match grade M1A with about $1000 less work done to it. I had an 18 in Proof Carbon fiber wrapped match barrel built for the AR and it is lighter, easier to clean, and take a modified M-14 mag. I like the AR for accuracy, adaptability, and ease of carrying. Both are weapons I am willing (and have) bet my life on so the decision is yours.
Arch's M21.jpg
AR10 c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Doc, I also have both. My M1A has been worked on and a load developed for it and is accurate. My AR10 has not been shot enough to know how it will work out but it is also on my list for this summer. Have you read the article by Helbender on AR modifications? I will be doing that entire list to mine.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I do not have an over abundance of experience in this topic but I do have some !

My gunsmith buddy has an M1-A that's scoped and with the add on Velcro cheekpiece .

I have an AR-10 that was originally a 308 then had a 260 upper added and now is 260 exclusively .

Anyway FOR ME the feel of the M1-A with that honker cheekpiece wasn't good matter of fact I didn't like it at all . It was almost as if my face was lying on a shelf .
But I was able to shoot plenty sub MOA groups with the gun from the bench .

The AR-10 I have started life as a plain old DPMS 308 with my personal preference A2 stock . The upper was nothing special 18' blah blah blah and I got it used . I shot many sub MOA groups with this using my handloads BUT I ain't a 308 guy . Shortly after getting the gun I bought a Deadshot barrel from them that they had testfired for some reason . Anyway we built an upper I put a Redfield 4-12 on top tried exactly one load using the Hornady 123 SST and IMR4064 and it was shooting 3 shot groups that were right at 1/2 MOA .

I think the M1-A and the AR-10 are heavy . I've never fired a shot at a deer with an M1-A but I've killed several with the AR-10 using both 260 and 308 uppers . Both cartridges did very very good job . Bottom line the AR-10 is more comfortable for me , if the M1-A didn't need the Velcro cheekpiece abomination for scopes I'd have one just because . But I can make do with my AR-10 260 just fine for my needs .

But again if I need to carry the thing much over a 1/4 of a mile I'd rather have my AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have an M-1A "loaded" which is between the Super Match and the regular...6x14 Nikon with a Springfield scope mount..the good one. Loves 150's more than anything but Springfield chooses to use the 1-12 twist for the bottom two guns while the Super Match uses a 1-10. Mine is an honest/consistent 2 and 1/2" gun at 100...yea, not spectacular but decent. I regularly shoot out to 500 meters.

My buddy Gunny has an AR-10...just a cheapy DPMS with some kind of a scope on it..can't remember....one day last year at the gunclub we had a mess of clay birds on the 200,300,385,and 500 meter banks. I was running my mouth and laughing at his cheapy DPMS against my 2g set up so he says, "let's compete, shot for shot" . Well, after 40 or 50 rounds he soundly whipped my azz, not by much but his gun was shooting a bit more tight.

My personal belief is that the AR action can be made a bit more accurate with the proper barrel, twist rate, scope, trigger, etc as the M1-A......as stock, they are pretty close. Gotta remember, lots of stuff surrounds and touches the barrel on the M1-A

In two weeks or so, after the custom scope mount is done on the BAR, I'll be entering a new realm....that rifle is scary accurate with coarse GI issue sights.---6

Paladin...man! You really got to handle all kinds of neat stuff. We play...you used it as intended.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an Armalite AR10T, got it In a trade. It is accurate, seems to like everything from 150-180. It is in need of an accuracy load but I haven't just because it shoots 1" or less with 90% of all the different loads I have tried.
Yeah it's a heavy beast!
I had an M1A years ago, I bedded it with the help of one of my instructors, he was a sniper in Nam as well as an army armourer. It was not anywhere near as accurate as the 10T
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:12 pmHave you read the article by Helbender on AR modifications? I will be doing that entire list to mine.
Thanks for the tip; I found this link - https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-R ... d-/4-6919/
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't think there is much question that the AR10 is easier to get more accuracy from.
That said, it's not all about mechanical accuracy, for me at least. My son has a S&W M&P 10 and it's a great shooter. I have both a standard 22", and an 18" M1A. I just prefer the feel and manual of arms of the M1A, but only with iron sights or a scout scope.
If using a conventional scope, the AR10 is the way to go IMO.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm I just prefer the feel and manual of arms of the M1A, but only with iron sights or a scout scope.
If using a conventional scope, the AR10 is the way to go IMO.
I agree. My primary AR-15 is scoped, and accurate, while my Mini-14 has the first-style aperture sights. My AR-10 is likewise scoped, and the M1A has the excellent factory aperture sights. I guess I figure if you're going to take the 'taller' gun, may as well scope it and benefit from the accuracy potential, and keep the 'handy carbine' as-is.

(At my age I sure ain't gonna shoot better than any guns potential accuracy without the benefit of optics.... :oops: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Like the Doc my rifles will out shoot me. But I do better with my scout squad than with AR’s. However I do shoot the scout a lot more.

I am partial to wood & steel as opposed to plastic & aluminum.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad