How many (minimum) leverguns does it take...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

How many (minimum) leverguns does it take...?

Post by AJMD429 »

While we're getting through the last of winter and the early muck-season before we can get out as much as we like, it is fun to make speculative 'lists' of what 'battery' of firearms one would pick for a given situation.

How about this.... What is the minimum levergun battery that would cover all your needs (whatever they are)...?

Here would be my 'bare minimum' levergun battery:

Low Power Range:

22 LR - I like my Ruger 96/22 because I replaced the barrel (swaps like a 10/22 one) with an integrally-suppressed one.
.....but would happily settle for a Henry 22 LR with the steel sights.

High Power Range:

500 S&W - The 1889-like Big Horn Armory 89 carbine is about the same size as a Marlin 1894, but hefty enough that recoil is not a big deal, even with 4,000+ ft-lb loads.

Long-Range Shooting:

308 Win - Henry Long Ranger would be my choice, due to the made-in-USA quality, service, and affordability of Henry, versus the Browning BLR. I'd consider a 223 Rem as an alternative.

Mid-Power/Range Shooting:

This one is tougher - the gun would be a Marlin 1894, but I'm torn between a 357 Mag, and a 32-20. The former might be more practical, and it (or even a 44 Mag) would be the 'home defense firearm' if I were limited to leverguns, but a 32-20 Winchester chambered 1894 could be more 'fun'. I guess the determining factor would be how low I could load the 500 S&W for game like groundhogs - I've heard some cartridges can be loaded to low enough levels that "you can eat right up to the hole", such as the 375 H&H, but I'm not sure how the 500 S&W would fare in that arena. If accuracy is lost at lower velocities then I'd want a higher-power 'bridge' between the 500 S&W and the 22 LR, even up to considering a 44 Mag over the 357 Mag. Certainly those can be loaded 'down' - I've seen lever gunners pop squirrels in the head with 357 Mag cat-sneeze loads. I'm sure others here would opt for a 30-30, 35 Rem, or other more traditional cartridge for a tube-loader, or one of the century-old Savage cartridges that are pretty awesome.

So.....maybe doable with a grand total of four leverguns, if the goal is to cover a wide spectrum of needs.

(Interestingly, I'd pick fairly similar cartridges if I had to be limited to bolt-actions - probably 22 LR, 375 Ruger, 308 Win, and (again the mid-range is the toughie) either 44 Mag or 223 Rem...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: How many (minimum) leverguns does it take...?

Post by JimT »

It'll take at least one more than however many I have at the time. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think mine would be pretty good.
9422M
2 94s in 30wcf....one a spiffy 16" SRC AE :)
Henry Big Boy .357
Winchester 94 BB AE 375 (proven by a Forumite to be fine for cape buffalo :o )
Marlin 1894 44 mag
Might be something else way in back :?

What the heck...I can't see past 150 yards anymore anyway. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

M88 .308
Marlin 1895 SS 45-70
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

OS is really down to the nut cuttin, with three. I believe 4 would be the minimum ( dam just had a shiver thinking about that)
I have these so no expenditures necessary.
Henry large loop 001 that has been threaded for suppressor
Marlin 1894 in 357 (could easily be talked into making that a 44 magnum instead)
Marlin 336 SC in 35/30 a wildcat that uses 35 Remington bullets and easy to come by 30/30 brass
And my takedown Marlin 1894 45-70 or my model 71 in 348 kinda depends on the day but lean towards the Marlin as it is scoped and takedown.
And if ya ask me again tomorrow it will probably be different answer.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

In my safe is all I need. Two Winchester old 30wcf, one 1917 Winchester 92 in 32wcf and one early Rossi .357 carbine. All can be loaded up or down.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What no one mentioned lever action shotguns? Need one each in .410, 20 ga & 12 ga.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

After having a hundred or so Marlins and a dozen Winchester’s and a half dozen Savages I now have three Marlins and a Winchester 1894 TD . I don’t need the 1894 but it’s a nice old pre 1910 take down in 30 WCF . The other three are Marlin 444’s . A circa 1966 I cut the barrel to 19” and reblued refinished , the second is circa 1967 still with the 24” barrel also reblued refinished and finally a circa 2001 Ballard rifled that’s been restocked with some semi fancy walnut that has a Monte Carlo . I shoot cast in all three but the custom stocked one is for bullets of 380 grains or more . The two old micro groove guns are for cast bullets 375 grains or less . Now truth be told I could do everything with the 2001 custom stocked gun but I like having options .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

For me the standard for someone who is buying their own for the first time should be at least a pawn shop or gunshop consignment rack late model winchester 94 in .30 w.c.f. or marlin 336 in same or .35 rem.

Then spend a couple of more C's for a pre-64 in a unique chambering..... .32 special comes to mind......

But the whole premise is silly. A boy ought to be handed-down gramp's levergun but unfortunately that seldom happens. There was a heirloom levergun in my family but I was grandsprout number 26 so I did not have a chance......
m.A.g.a. !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ray wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:00 pm

But the whole premise is silly. A boy ought to be handed-down gramp's levergun but unfortunately that seldom happens. There was a heirloom levergun in my family but I was grandsprout number 26 so I did not have a chance......
I was fortunate my grandfather left me all the gun related stuff he had . I tried to buy a couple when he was alive and he told me no need you’re getting them al you’re the only one that cares ! Think he had 12-14 I gave his O/U to a male cousin that now lives in Pittsburgh but everything else stayed together ! Here’s a picture of his W&C Scott 10 gauge with the first goose I ever killed . I told my wife to make sure that gun goes in the box with me .
CE98DA56-FB6D-4D8B-A93A-96C687AA408E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm short on the mid range stuff. Thinking about a .357. Does anyone know how well the Henry Big Boy .357 will feed .38 Special?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 am I'm short on the mid range stuff. Thinking about a .357. Does anyone know how well the Henry Big Boy .357 will feed .38 Special?
I've only done it once, but it did so perfectly. Using those Winchester white box 130s with the flat nose.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'm All Set. Marlin 94 in .218 Bee and 32-20. Marlin 45-70 for factory level loads, Pedersoli 86/71 for big thump on both ends :shock: and for long range the Marlin MXLR .338. just wish I would have had these 30 years ago.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Blaine, I was thinking of .38s for noise reduction.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

For my needs, and for any I can reasonably expect to arise, my 39a and my 336 will fill the bill nicely, thank you.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:09 pm Thanks Blaine, I was thinking of .38s for noise reduction.
YMMV....seems like all shooters are different. Tho with computor CNC its a hundred times better than the tolerances used to be.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Any .22 levergun. , In my case i have a Henry

Any 30/30 chambered levergun, i prefer Winchester, but a Marlin does the same job

So 2

If you live in bear country, perhaps a 45/70 would be more fitting than a 30/30 though

I contemplated listing a pistol caliber, in my case i have a 45 Colt Trapper, - but the 30/30 will do anything the 45 will do
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of every caliber and model made should suffice.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/