Winchester 88

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 88

Post by EG73 »

Hey guys,

Looking at MAYBE getting a Winchester 88 (post 64) in .243 for a general purpose gun. From spotlighting fox to maybe trying to bag my first deer.

Who’s got an 88, opinions on them? Accuracy etc? (All the usual considerations). Would love to hear people’s experience with them and if they’re worth it.

Cheers,
Troy.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester 88

Post by gamekeeper »

No experience with one other than my local toy shop has one and it looks like a well made rifle, unfortunately I haven't tried it out.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They're excellent rifles, but you need to be aware that most gunsmiths (and others) find it difficult to do any effective work on their (sometimes) abominable triggers.

While most would want to "try before you buy", they're good enough to grab any specimen that can be had for an acceptable price

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have one in .308 it is very accurate with Federal 150s sometimes near 1/2" at 100 yd. But with ,Win 180 round nose about 4-5". I love it. Shot a deer at 275 yds with a friends .243. Bullet hit right where it should have considering wind and a small difference from his targets with it and mine, He is left handed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve sold a few for other folks . For awhile I wanted one in 284 WIN but I got past it . John Wooters had a Custom Mannlicher stocked one in 7mm-08 I thought was rather sporty . But if it came down to me getting a lever without a visible hammer I think I’d be looking for a Sako Finnwolf .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have a pre-64 in 308. It shoots sub moa at 100 yards. The action is smooth, the trigger is fine, and it shoots 150's like they are going out of style! I wouldn't mind having one in 243!
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Paid too much for my Winchester Model 88 .308 Win., made in 1969. Shoots 1 1/2" at 100 yds. with M80 Malaysian machine gun ammo. Used Gunscrubber to hose out the action and sprayed FP-10 to lube without disassembly. Haven't messed with specifically working up a load for it, but I just bought an AR-10 .308, so I'll work up loads for both.

I would like the opportunity to get one in .243 Win. if one came along.

Never really saw any for sale around here, so the money I had burning a hole in my pocket enabled me to bring one home from the old GUN WORLD in Harrisville, PA. When I had it out at my gun club, many members had to stop by and tell me how many they had at home and how well they liked them. Was surprising to me, actually.