Ok Six, pick six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Ok Six, pick six

Post by Old Savage »

New approach. Six, you are clearly one of the most knowledgeable here. So pick six that will most widely equip me. One caveat, no semi auto rifles, sportsman approach.

All others feel free to participate. You are all Six here.

The gloves are off.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ok Six, pick six

Post by AJMD429 »

45 Colt/ACP Ruger Redhawk DA Revolver
45 Colt Marlin 1894 Lever Action Rifle
22 LR Ruger Mk-3/45 Semiauto Pistol - with Trek suppressor
22 LR Contender pistol (or maybe a 1911 Para-Ordnance since I just realized semiauto pistols ok... :oops: )
223 Remington Savage Bolt Action - also uses Trek Suppressor
375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan Bolt Action Rifle (almost as flat-shooting as a 270 Win, and THUMPS stuff :twisted: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Fred.....your killing me..Wow...you hit me up with a question that necessitates deep thinking on a Saturday evening....OK, I'll give ya 6 but tomorrow it may be different......

From a blue collar sportsmans thinking....meaning durability and a fair value ....

Shotgun....Remington 870

Handgun...Ruger Single Six
... Ruger Blackhawk 357
....COLT 1911. In what else..45

Rifle.....Winchester Model 61 grooved receiver...the reason for this is that nothing made today compares with it...including ANY
Marlin 39 made after the mid sixties. I've owned Model 39's from the 20's to recent years....they have extractor/ejector
Issues.
......Remington 700 in .308

I could explain the reason for my choices but for the most part, the six I picked are near indestructible guns....

You want to go to La La Land and stir the emotions?

Shotgun.....Ithaca NID full engraved # 4E 12 gauge.

Handguns.....Colt pre war Woodsman .22. . Pre war Single action Colt 44 Spl. Smith & Wesson Triple Lock Target 44 Spl.

Rifle.........Winchester 1886 (what else?) 45-70 extra lightweight takedown deluxe with a Lyman 38 receiver sight.
Winchester Model 61 with a Griffin and Howe mounted Winchester A-5 scope

All of these latter handguns are to be stocked with elephant ivory, target sighted, and full factory engraved. And because it's la la land, a Browning Ma Deuce big 50, a Browning BAR, and of course a model 1921 Thompson with the FBI case and two C drums will ride in the back of the Jeep....the Ma Deuce on a mount.....

Give me some more time Fred....I'll think of some more....right now I have a couple of hundred rounds of '06 to load for my BAR.

I see Doc like suppressors......I like to hear the noise.....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I might slip in a 1911 double-stack, since I belatedly see you only prohibited semiauto RIFLES.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred.....thank's for the "knowledge" thing but I really don't know the guns made in the last half century..except the old Rugers, Colts and some Smiths......I have no idea what any kind of a Glock is, except the one I do have some experience with, the 18.

My picks are not up to date but guns are guns...actions are actions, and durability/reliability is a time proven asset to the many fine old American made guns that are floating around. Except for semi automatics, not much has been improved upon in the last hundred years, except maybe the materials that make the guns...certainly not the craftsmanship.

So,..they may be my picks..but not others who may know more on the modern "stuff". Yea..."stuff". :D

Any YOU, my fine friend Old Savage....are sadly lacking in your up-to-date pictorials of the "soft stuff". Go ahead buddy, make my day!----6

Edit....sorry Fred....I just noticed page three of the other post..... :D

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Shotgun, 12 gauge; Remington 870
Rifle .22LR Savage/Anschutz 54 Sporter
Rifle .30-30, Savage 99G Takedown
Rifle .30-06; Savage 114
Pistol .22LR; Ruger Government Model (or maybe a Smith & Wesson Model 41)
Pistol .45 ACP; Colt Government Model
Honorable Mention: Pistol 7-30 Waters; Contender
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Subject to change at any given moment, these should do fine for North America (excepting shots across the Plains or from ridge to ridge)...

S&W 640-1 (357Magnum, 5 rounds)
S&W PC M27-8 (3 1/2” barrel, 357Magnum, 8 rounds)
Glock32 (357Sig, with barrels for 40S&W and 9mm) (heresy! But only six)
Winchester 94BB (356Winchester)
EMF 16” M92 (357Magnum)
Remington 870

(Edited: OK, need a shotgun so replace a M92/44Mag with the 870.)
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok......

Not a big shotgun guy, so only one.
As old an 870 as you can get with screw in chokes. A 12ga with 24" barrel and vent rib.

Handguns.
Colt 1911 Combat Government. (Series 70)
Colt SAA 4.75 45 Colt/45ACP (2nd Gen)
S&W 3" Model 66 round butt (Pre Hillary Hole)

Rifles
Winchester 94 SRC in 30wcf (D&T for receiver sight)
Winchester Model 70FW 30-06

I know, no 22s. I really stewed on it but you can do very inexpensive plinking and small game loads for the 30-30 and .38.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Hunting shotgun Ithaca 37
Sporting shotgun Browning Superposed
Hunting rifles Winchester 94 in 38-55
Utility Rifle Winchester 92 357 mag
Remington model 24 in 22lr
Colt model 1911 in 45 ACP

Weird …… they all seem to flow from one genius.

Wm
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Upland hunting shotgun: any good over and under or side by side in 16 or 20 gauge
Deer hunting rifle: Winchester 94 angle eject in 30-30
Big game hunting rifle: Savage 99 in .308
Small game hunting and varmint rifle: Marlin 882 in 22 MAG
Plinking rifle: Ruger 10-22
Concealed carry: any good 38 Special revolver

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well good answers in my book. So far with small changes I think I could match any of it.

Six, now, on the .308 you are going to have to pick between .243, .270, .280 and .30-06.

But I will tell you that Cali did us a favor with this bullet regulation. In .243.for instance an 85 gr all copper comes out at 3225. It has a target bullet shape, loses no weight on impact, will hold together at 50 yds and perform at 275 where the impact velocity was likely about 2800 in the dry air at 4500 ft elevation.

On the shotgun, going to be an 870 express 20 GA. with an extra rifled sighted barrel. Has the coveted birch stock, world's best shotgun, very blue collar. Mine has taken cotton tail, jack rabbit, quail, pheasant, dove, chukar and duck. Chambers the 3" mags.

In the 30 years I have been looking have never seen a 61 for sale. Could go with either a 9422 or Stevens bolt or 10/22.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred....if I already had a 308 my next choice would be a 6mm of some sort...yea, the 243 would be tops. .....

On the model 61 issue, yes, you don't see them for sale often, but with the internet and a fat wallet, anything is "to be had" if you so desire.....I am blessed in being in the best part of the country for selection, and I don't mean Pennsylvania or even southeast Pa.....I mean right where I live. Using a pencil compass, using my house as the pivot point, draw a circle 40 miles in any direction.....the best guns in prolific quantities are in this area....(that's another story).....

A model 62 or a rare 1890 in 22 L.R. will suffice. A pump is between a semi and a lever as to speed of operation. I have no idea what kind of barrels Winchester used on model 61's but everyone I've shot, shot like a model 52.

Sure, 20 gauge will suffice just as well, except if your blasting geese at 60 yards. I can never remember anyone telling me about inherent mechanical issues on an 870...

You kali kats and your copper..... :D ....all of the soft stuff out there must be poisoning the rational parts of the brain....

Well, full sunshine today....little wind.....play time outside.....think I'll powerwash the mighty Jeep----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Target shape bullet, near 100% weight retention means it arrives faster and on impact acts like the next weight higher. My antelope rifle is a Ruger 77R that will put an 85 gr out at a chronographed 3350 fps. I have put over 1400 rds through it. They came up with this ridiculous condor bullet rule.

On the 45-70, that Is going to be a Marlin 1895.SS. Has a 4x Leopold on it which I really needed to put 3 300 gr. copper bullets through the chest of a 3 point, 6 eastern count, at 35 yds. He finally went down.

Henry 22 mag could be in the mix.

I have all the new manufacture guns, you have the old.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Take the six guns you are most familiar with!
Has to be a .22 in the mix. Hi Standard military & one of my many rifles
Are we talking six guns as a bug out scenario? Then ideally you would want your PPP and carbine to digest the same ammo, in my case my BH 41 and Henry 41. Or my Ruger carbine and 629.
A 12 ga for sure, from #12 to 1 oz slugs- not much here that is gonna take a .729 dia hole through itself and not feel it. I'd be torn on a decision, my 870 is only a 2.75" gun but my Benelli M1Super90 is 3".
I guess my 6th would have to be my Mause 338 win mag, again itll handle what needs done... but then again a 308 .... decisions decisions.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

OS, gotta ask, why not the .308? Just something you don’t have or is there a reason to rule it out of the final six?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't have a 700 in .308. And have tried repeatedly with .308. No 308 has been been better than any other caliber I have had, mostly 270, 280, 30-06. I have tons of records and I would like to see anyone else's that shows the .308 superior. And, I am not talking precision bench rest.

I am interested in teal world 200-300 yd. Not at at all interesting in any shooting beyond 300. To me that is a parlor stunt especially with pistols.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Parlor stunt? We regularly shoot revolvers at our club out to 500 meters....no, we ain't hitting beer cans but we scare em. :D

Nothing special about it as all it takes is a good heavy revolver in a heavy caliber and you just raise the front sight above the rear sight......44 magnum with a Keith cast over 21 grains of 2400.....Smith and Wesson and Ruger single actions preferred. Once a month we shoot handgun silhouette out to 100 meters for a 40 shot match...its all play....after the match we set up rams on the 200 meter berm. Costs you $5 to get in the game and it's a shot by shot game and whoever knocks down the ram wins the pot. If two or more guys hit the ram on the first shot, we do it again until everyone is eliminated..shooting is all off hand.

The Rams weigh 80 pounds and it takes a heavy bullet to knock them down...I use the 10" 357 Maximum with 180 Hornadys. The pot pays for the days entry fees and gas and I may win it twice a year...I give the winnings to the target setters.

Off the subject, the BAR is at the gunsmiths getting a custom made scope mount put on it.....ain't nothing got me this excited in quite some time.....I'm going to use this rifle on our long range half scale silhouette matches where there's no weight limit on the gun....going to be interesting.--6

mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

Love these exercises.

In no particular order:

Shotgun: Remington 870 Special Field 21” 12G
Full-Size Centerfire Handgun: S&W 686 4” .357
Compact Centerfire Handgun: S&W 60 2” .357
Centerfire Carbine: Marlin 1894C 18.5” .357
Centerfire Rifle: Remington 03-A3 24” .30-06
Rimfire Rifle: Marlin 39M 20” .22LR

If I had to prioritize by which I would grab, first to last, with some cutoff expected (take only 1, 2, 3, etc.):

Centerfire Carbine: Marlin 1894C 18.5” .357
Full-Size Centerfire Handgun: S&W 686 4” .357
Shotgun: Remington 870 Special Field 21” 12G
Centerfire Rifle: Remington 03-A3 24” .30-06
Rimfire Rifle: Marlin 39M 20” .22LR
Compact Centerfire Handgun: S&W 60 2” .357

mos
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

For me,
1895 winchester 30-06, Providence - climbing lyman repo peep.
1984 winchester 30-30 , skinner peep.
S&w model 28 -4 inch -357
S&w model 60 - 3 inch -357
Henry - 22 lr
Remington wingmaster 12 ga. 28 ventilated rib and hastings slug barrel.