I've been using strips for my revolvers for years .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

I've been using strips for my revolvers for years .....

Post by wm »

but this does seem to offer some advantages to the carrying of strip of ammo. I've used a little Uncle Mikes belt pouch that is just big enough to hold one 6 round 38/357 mag strip and a similar but larger one with no name and I cant remember where or when I got it now for the 44 spl.

https://theneomag.com/product/rasc/

I might just give this a try but …… darn $30? does that seem like a lot for what it is or am I being a miser? Of course I look at $40 pistol magazines and think are you freaking kidding me? A little stamped metal and a spring should not be that expensive.

Wm
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I've been using strips for my revolvers for years .....

Post by jeepnik »

Not really needed but it might make it easier for some. Personally I prefer speed loaders or for those that use them moon clips.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The old HKS speed loader have always served me well through the years.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interesting product. I kind of gave up on revolvers for PD owing to the bulk, plus the fact that a speedloader is about as handy to conceal as a golf ball.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It does seem expensive for what it does. Am I wrong in seeing that it just holds the ammo strip up near the top of your pocket?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

piller wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:26 am It does seem expensive for what it does. Am I wrong in seeing that it just holds the ammo strip up near the top of your pocket?
That is my take as well. It really is nothing other then a hook that holds the strip up right in your pocket. I like that but balk at $30 price tag to do it. Over the last day I've been looking at my accumulation of bits and pieces of stuff in the scrap pile and feel certain I can find something I can alter and repurpose to that end. I got a wiring harness from a old computer that I am going to try it with. If not then I have a narrow sheet metal hook ……

Nothing like a challenge to keep the mind and fingers active.

Wm.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am Interesting product. I kind of gave up on revolvers for PD owing to the bulk, plus the fact that a speedloader is about as handy to conceal as a golf ball.
That was why I moved from speedloaders to strips. My old job required me to wear dress slacks and I don't care for sport coats if I can avoid it. Open carry was verboten in the office or the field so ankle holster with a strip in the pocket it was. Later I had a non descript little pouch on the belt for the strip that most would not recognize its purpose.

I still prefer to not be obvious when I carry. I would rather the element of surprise be on my side.

Wm

P.S. But I have bent to modern times a little and one of my three go to options for carry is a S&W Shield whose main advantage is magazine reload. Comfort, sights, reliability, ammunition effectiveness etc it does not rate any higher then my 44 spl Charter Arms or 38 Spl model 36 (both 3" barrels) but it is faster to reload and easier to carry that reload which I guess is progress.
goldstar225
Levergunner

Post by goldstar225 »

Uh, no. A $30.00 solution to an insignificant problem. When I carry a revolver the speedstrip goes in the watch pocket. Easy access. On the rare occasion I'm not wearing jeans I haven't had a problem locating the strip in the bottom of the pocket.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I carry loose rounds in my watch pocket or outside pocket if I'm wearing cargo shorts. I have two packs of speed strips but haven't used them enough to stop feeling awkward with them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Interesting product. Thanks for posting the link.
I can "see" $30.00 in it, when compared to other quality accessories involved in the concealed carry matrix, but then I can also "see" high priced magazines if they actually deliver the 100 % bet-your-life reliability they claim.
I've been evolving back to carrying a revolver over the last few months ( S&W 642 if you're curious) and have contemplated the "reload question". For the moment, a tradional rubber speed strip gets the nod. It doesn't go into a pocket already loaded with "keys, change, and other junk" as referred to in the Ad for this product.
The good news is that within the already very small percentage of day-to-day personal situations that involve the legal use of deadly force, the percentage of those which require a reload is infinitesimally small. As a result I haven't made the "need to reload" a priority in my decision making process of what to carry.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I shot action pistol with a revolver I tried speed loaders, and they worked OK sometimes, and other times when a round or two didn't drop freely they caused huge losses in time and points. I found a guy selling 6 round flat strips that held 3 rounds in a perfect arc to match the cylinders. So it took two swipes to do 3 and 3 to load. But they were flawless, and very inexpensive at $3 ea.! They were also as fast as a speedloader, and never a hitch reloading quickly.
Each hole had a split out to the edge, so once you dropped three in you just pulled the strip to the side, and dropped the next three in. Guy sold them at all the local gun shows, but disappeared after a few years. Now I can't find them anywhere, and thought about buying the same material and punching out my own. I wish I'd gotten them for every revolver I had, or ever might have.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Back when I carried a revolver, I tried speed loaders and always found them clumsy, not to mention bulky.
The last combat course trainer, before the advent of the semi's, recommended plain ol flexible speed strips for reloads.
Can't remember now how they were carried, probably in the pocket, but they were simple, fast and discreet.
The plain straight ones would load 2 cylinders at a time with a slight bend.