Maybe this what I need to improve my shotgun shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Maybe this what I need to improve my shotgun shooting

Post by wm »

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/20/ra ... r-surfaces

My father served in 8th Air Force during WW2 as a radio man. Sure wish he was still around to share this with & get him to share some stories.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Maybe this what I need to improve my shotgun shooting

Post by GunnyMack »

That would be good for dove season!
Just shoot your shotgun more and you'll get better!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have always wondered how those guys were trained. Thanks for posting.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:16 am I have always wondered how those guys were trained. Thanks for posting.
The boys were also taught how to shoot skeet, ya really learn how to leade a target that way.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Robert Ruark's Old Man described as " think of the shot stream like the water out of a hose. If you want to wet down your cousin that's running across the yard you have to aim far enough ahead to he runs into the water of water"...or words to that effect.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Where I was raised in SW Fla it once been the sight of the Buckinham Army Air Base during WWII. We used to ride 4WDs and motorcycles where the old gunnery hill was. 500 yards or so off into the scrub was a row of trap houses pointed off in the opposite direction. I always thought the trap houses were for recreation, never knew they were used for training.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

That was really neat -- thanks for sharing!

I also recall once seeing pictures of a shooter riding in a small train car -- so he's moving -- shooting at a target towed by another train car moving in the opposite direction; and I've also read sometimes the aerial gunner would be in a car towed behind the target and they engage it while taking turns, practicing right and left angles.
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:37 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:16 am I have always wondered how those guys were trained. Thanks for posting.
The boys were also taught how to shoot skeet, ya really learn how to leade a target that way.
I recall my late father telling us boys they had several skeet and trap fields at the RAF fighter airbase he was stationed at north of London -- equipped with some very nice U.S. shotguns after the Yanks of the 8th Air Force took over -- and all the shells and clay targets the pilots wanted to shoot. But I was told very few ever did, much to the dismay and chagrin of my dad who was a hunter/shooter.

Some pilots shot by "feel" or instinct, and those with exceptional eyesight and reflexes did very well. Some others could fly well, but maybe never quite learned the art of "deflection shooting" (aka leading the target) as well as they could.

I'll have to watch that whole video when I get a chance.

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I watched the whole thing...cool....thanks for sharing.....

It reminded me of a box of shotgun ammo I have from WW2....made in 1943... all brass...OO buckshot.....
as we know, multiple lead projectiles were supposedly outlawed so the boxes were marked "for small game hunting"...yea, buckshot for small game.... :D ....the "small game" were japs. The Japs must of been hard to hit as, the way I see it, not enough of them were killed. The all brass shells were needed as paper shells would expand in the humidity of the South Pacific. --6

The box of Remington Kleanbore above and to the left is also military ammo and is so printed over the face of the box. Regular number 6's

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Great film, thanks for the link. Couple of those guys were kind of recognizable! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Robert Stack was a gunnery instructor in the Navy in WWII. Gave him a chance to put his outstanding shotgun talent to great use. He was an All-American skeet shooter.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My best man's Dad moved down from Newfoundland to join the Marines because he was tired of being hungry. They ended up giving him the gunnery test in the back of the flatbed shooting clay birds and found out he could outshoot the instructors. He explained if his Dad gave him 2 shells he was expected to bring back 2 or more ducks or he had to miss a meal. He ended up a gunner in Dauntlesses. I asked if he ever regretted signing up. He said no, they ate good on the carriers. He said the biggest worry he had was the pilots mostly didn't look old enough to drive much less fly, but he made it back every time.

One of his best stories was telling about finding out one of the guys in another squadron had figured out how to replace the 30 cal they used with a 50. It was fun shooting at the Jap fighters when they thought they were out of range, but even more fun shooting up the merchies they bombed on the pull out. He said, "you know, that 50 would shoot clear through a Jap merchant ship or barge".