Roundballs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Roundballs

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got a couple new Lee molds today ! Bought them to use in Precision Reloading 10 and 12 gauge steel shot wads . A .600” for the 12 and a .690” for the 10 gauge . Two balls in the 12 and a single in the 10 8)
1DCF7544-8BFC-4BA5-97E9-8A022729DA47.jpeg
E4097477-C7FA-4F52-A5A7-6B556DB59C59.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Roundballs

Post by piller »

Those could also be used as cannon balls. Whatever you hit with one of those 10 gauge size balls should be incapacitated immediately.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A 10 gauge muzzleloader would make a useful tool for a survivalist #8 shot to a single ball.. :o
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well 6pt you now have the biggest balls on the block! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm Well 6pt you now have the biggest balls on the block! :lol:
Yeah , when I was casting at the shop today someone walked back and I promptly told them “I have big balls” and held up two of the .69” balls . :lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I drop .69 round balls in the shot cup of a 12ga 1-1/8oz bird load after dumping the shot for re-use.

so I get slugs for the price of bird shot

you cannot buy the components for what a case sells for...

next is to start casting hard lead balls, which out punch soft balls every time . . . :lol: 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are the round balls legal here for deer hunting? They aren't up here.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

In Pennsyltucky slugs are Ok but buckshot verboten.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:08 am Are the round balls legal here for deer hunting? They aren't up here.
where is up here? I call them slugs if someone asks. If black powder arms are legal to hunt with, then rb in shotties should be the same. but anyway, the rb won't stop inside if it's hard cast, and a hard cast rb is far far better than the "rifled slugs" that are common, as far as not deforming.

BUT I have not done the side by side penetration comparisons to 45/70/425 yet.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here in nj rb is legal in a muzzle loader but NOT in a shotgun! Yup more stupidity...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I like to use those 10 gauge shot as ammo in my wrist rocket (sling shot). Back in the day I discovered marbles and had decent success on squirrels and rabbits on my uncles hunting property/tree farm. Then one day my uncle introduced me to muzzle loading, That was fine but I immediately seized on the idea of those lead balls (32 caliber) as sling shot ammo.

Ah …… simpler times when long range planning and goal setting was cramming all the fun possible into a day before the sun set.

Wm
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve never seen anything that said you couldn’t use buckshot or these as a lot in the south call them “pumpkin balls”. But I can tell ya , if they met my parameters but they weren’t legal I’d still kill atleast one deer with them . Same if I ever get an 8 gauge Parker while I wouldn’t take it out for waterfowl I’d load up buckshot and knock off a deer . I have a friend in Mississippi that has three Parker 8 gauges and he uses them for Turkey and deer legally .Legal in Mississippi for big game but not in Virginia . :!:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Have'nt gotten around to using rb's, I've been casting and using Lyman Sabot slugs, both pure lead and L #2. :mrgreen:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buckshot, 4buck up to OOO are legal for deer, not bear. 'Pumpkin balls' are not. Only reasoning I can see for them being illegal - pumpkin ball could be the accuracy issue, be kind of interesting to try them through a rifled barrel or choke tube.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm Buckshot, 4buck up to OOO are legal for deer, not bear. 'Pumpkin balls' are not. Only reasoning I can see for them being illegal - pumpkin ball could be the accuracy issue, be kind of interesting to try them through a rifled barrel or choke tube.
I cast a bunch of 0000 and 00000 buckshot and have killed deer now with both sizes .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

1894cfan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:44 pm Have'nt gotten around to using rb's, I've been casting and using Lyman Sabot slugs, both pure lead and L #2. :mrgreen:
I’ve been fooling with the Lyman sabot slugs as well both 12 and 20 in actual Lyman molds . Also I’ve been messing with a Russian knockoff of the same design but for the 10 and 16 gauges . Killed deer with the 12 a few years back and the 10 in the 2017/18 season . Hopefully this coming year I can get one with the 16 and quite possibly the 20 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Had a rather productive Monday ! I cast a bunch more of both size roundballs and finally remembered to order the steel shot wads to use with these roundballs and felt cushion wads . Hopefully I’ll have the stuff in hand by Monday and can load up a few . I really hope the 2 3/4” wad will handle a pair of the .600” balls although it’s going to be a bit STOUT .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Finally got a delivery estimate from Precision Reloading . The wads are supposed to arrive 4/3/19 . If they do I’ll take a 12 gauge press and a 10 gauge press to the shop Thursday and see if I can’t get something done .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Parker VH 12 on a 2 frame for the 2 3/4” , Browning Belgium A-5 Magnum with 28” modified for the 3” and my Parker EH 10 gauge with 28” open barrels for the 2 7/8” 10 gauge load ‘
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a Belgium slug barrel for the A-5 Mag that might do a better job . Maybe try three from each barrel .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Precision Reloading? Don't think I've heard of those guys. I normally get my 28&410 stuff from Ballistic Products. I have some slugs from them to try this summer. Their light game slug( a RB and carrier wad ) for both the 28 & 410 as well as their thug slug for the 410. They claim the LGS with Lilgun will do 2000+ FPS.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

This guy has taken hard hitting shotgun rounds to a new level.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:57 am This guy has taken hard hitting shotgun rounds to a new level.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/
He’s heard from quite often on castboolits . While what he does has a place it’s not exactly what I’m after for nice old doubles . I try and stay within a pressure etc range and what he does far exceeds what I’m after .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I know James Gates from Marshall's forum at www.beartoothbullets.com where we became interested in heavy-for-caliber hard cast projectiles. James developed his 12ga loads as an outgrowth of his hand gun work with heavy bullets. I keep forgetting to order his loads for smooth bores.

This is the Dixie catalog:

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

For the low down nitty gritty on shotgun slug load development, read this info:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... +from+hell

Hubel still develops these loads and still maintains his info. The last page is info from this year.....