Question for Winchester 73 owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Question for Winchester 73 owners

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Can anyone tell me the number of lands and grooves in a circa 1870s-80s 73 in .44 W.C.F.?
Seeking data points to look for in examining a bullet from such a rifle that went through the forehead of a sleeping cowboy near Tularosa on June 12, 1888, and was recovered, flattened, from the rock he was resting his head on.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question for Winchester 73 owners

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill I'm curious what you find out. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

OK Bill, I just went in by my bed and got my 73 SRC made in 1895. Pretty sure all were the same. Even my new Miroku is the same. Bore slugs .431 to the bottom of the grooves. 6 lands and grooves. Pretty sure Winchester ammo was loaded with 30:1 alloy or pretty soft alloy. I have an 1894 Colt too if you think he may have been shot with a SAA. I know it's a much smaller bore but I don't remember how much. Need more? Just ask.
Oh yeah, that Colt would have little skinny, rounded lands while the Winchester lands have square cut corners. Lands and grooves the same width in the Winchester.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thank you friends.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am Can anyone tell me the number of lands and grooves in a circa 1870s-80s 73 in .44 W.C.F.?
Seeking data points to look for in examining a bullet from such a rifle that went through the forehead of a sleeping cowboy near Tularosa on June 12, 1888, and was recovered, flattened, from the rock he was resting his head on.
Seems like I remember hearing the story. Who was it who was killed?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rube, the murdered cowboy was a much-admired young man from Texas named George McDonald. He was practically taken in by the family of Oliver Lee and was engaged to Lee's niece, Nettie Fry, almost a sister in closeness.
McDonald was one of many young Texans from the Hill Country attempting to make his way in the world and start a cattle herd amid the good grass of south-central New Mexico. John Good, a rancher bully who had come to this (open) range before the Texans tried everything, including threats and violence, to run them off and they wouldn't budge. The lore has it that Good's son Walter, himself a piece of work, happened by Coyote Spring on his horse, spotted McDonald asleep, and shot him in the head -- then later bragged about it in Tularosa. When Lee and his partisans felt they had enough evidence that Walter was the killer, well, let's just say that the bones of Walter Good, plus his revolver, were finally discovered out in the White Sands. There was a hole in the skull.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:32 pm Rube, the murdered cowboy was a much-admired young man from Texas named George McDonald. He was practically taken in by the family of Oliver Lee and was engaged to Lee's niece, Nettie Fry, almost a sister in closeness.
McDonald was one of many young Texans from the Hill Country attempting to make his way in the world and start a cattle herd amid the good grass of south-central New Mexico. John Good, a rancher bully who had come to this (open) range before the Texans tried everything, including threats and violence, to run them off and they wouldn't budge. The lore has it that Good's son Walter, himself a piece of work, happened by Coyote Spring on his horse, spotted McDonald asleep, and shot him in the head -- then later bragged about it in Tularosa. When Lee and his partisans felt they had enough evidence that Walter was the killer, well, let's just say that the bones of Walter Good, plus his revolver, were finally discovered out in the White Sands. There was a hole in the skull.
The names don't ring a bell but the story does. I enjoy researching and learning about stories from that era.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

If it helps at all, Winchester factory .44-40 bullets at that time were made from pure lead.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain