HELP 1911 advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

HELP 1911 advice

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I see a Colt Government Seriies 80 M1991A1 in 9mm for sale. What can you tell me good or bad about it? Whats the most you would payfor one almost NIB, maybe 50rounds thru it. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: HELP 1911 advice

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm I see a Colt Government Seriies 80 M1991A1 in 9mm for sale. What can you tell me good or bad about it? Whats the most you would payfor one almost NIB, maybe 50rounds thru it. Todd/3leg
A few years ago I paid about 800+ for a Springer Range Officer 1911 in 9mm....It's worth every penny. From what I've heard and read the Colts are just as good or better. That single stack mag is a real PITA. Without the UpLuLa I could never completely fill it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a Rock Island full-size 1911 in 9mm, and it is sweet....!

I mostly got it cuz it came with a swappable barrel in 22 TCM, but I really shoot the 9mm a lot more. (22 TCM is cool though, as a purely 'fun' thing).

Mine is not a Colt, but for and function are perfect. It is a double-stack, but I actually prefer that slightly. My fingers are skinny and the extra girth is less than 3/16th inch so is perfect for my hands.

Anyway, as far as a '1911' in 9mm, the concept is really good and I'll bet you'll like it. 9mm of course is great in a little package like the SIG-938 (1911 format in miniature), but is WAY more pleasant to shoot in a full-size firearm. The smallest 'fun' 45 ACP I've shot is my Para P-12 that is an 'Officer Model' clone in double stack format.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJ, yep i wanted thise TCM convertibles but they got spendy. Blaine imhave a SA mil-spec in 45. This Colt looks like it, was hoping some one had info on this particular 1911. Unless it goes for more than $6 bills I'll probably buy, unless i hear really bad about it.

Is it American made or does it have foreign parts in it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think Rock Island is all Phillipine.

My son and I have owned four, and all were well made. I Bubba'd one up attempting home gunsmithing, and the manufacturer replaced it, so I am impressed with their service...!

If I ever get another 1911, it will probably be a Rock Island. Don't need any more 1911's though (I have a Colt 7-shot, AMT 7-shot, Para P-14 & Para P-12 doublestack 45 ACPs, Rock Island 45 ACP doublestack, and R.I. 9mm/22 TCM, so hard to feel like I 'need' another 1911).

.....but I do really like the idea of a 1911 in 22 WMR... 8)

Here's a review: https://youtu.be/oOXb9PyYkEo
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.....just realized you were probably asking BlaineG about 'foreign parts' in the Colt..... :oops: :D

Sad that even has to be asked about 'American' companies these days.... :|

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The real question is why 9 mm? Won’t do anything the .45 acp can’t. In fact can’t do it as well. I suppose if you are recoil sensitive (don’t get all defensive, for a time a .22 or was all I could handl) the 9 mm might have a use.

And I can’t believe i’m saying this but, if limited to a 9 mm I’d get a double stack Glock.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:29 pm The real question is why 9 mm? Won’t do anything the .45 acp can’t. In fact can’t do it as well. I suppose if you are recoil sensitive (don’t get all defensive, for a time a .22 or was all I could handl) the 9 mm might have a use.

And I can’t believe i’m saying this but, if limited to a 9 mm I’d get a double stack Glock.
Even name brand nine mm ammo is so cheep, reloading is a waste of time. It's fun to blow through as much ammo as you like and not bother with gathering brass. Only a .22 would be cheaper to shoot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I needed to take a break from paperwork anyway, so grabbed the 9 mm 1911 and a couple others to go do some shooting back at my little backyard range. I took the shot timer because I was curious about how fast I can shoot the different handguns and keep on target.

The pistols:
Screenshot_2019-03-17-18-55-46-1.png
The target is simply a 16-inch gong at 15 yards, which obviously is not precision shooting, but my last name is definitely not Miculek.
20190317_183833-1.jpg
Anyway, as you can see by the notes I took, the fastest fifth shot (firearm chambered, safety on, muzzle on bench) was with The Rock Island full size 9 mm. The full size 9 mm Taurus was slightly slower, and barely faster than the diminutive SIG P-938. That little Sig is definitely the most ergonomic and easy to shoot 9 mm subcompact I've ever shot. It would be interesting to have compared my daughter's Ruger LCP, because that thing is horrible to shoot compared to the SIG P-938.

The slowest was the 45 ACP, although that may have been my fault more than the gun because it was 0.34 seconds longer before I got off my first shot, so that by the fifth shot I was really only 0.17 seconds slower with the 45 then the 9 mm in terms of follow up.

I also slipped in an A-Zoom snap cap in the Taurus magazine, so I could do a malfunction drill. That would account for the 2-second delay between the eighth and ninth shot with that gun.

Unfortunately, even though I was shooting at a bench with a good solid floor and 1/4 inch hardware cloth on the right side, the snap cap disappeared, so I'm going to have to be a little more careful with that kind of drill in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I JUST want to know about this specific model of Colt 1911 in 9mm... Dont need any other specifics about caliber, double stack, recoil, reloading or cost of ammo. I just want to know about this Colt M1991A1 in 9mm...!!! :roll:

DOC, i do like your info about stress relief tho! :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sorry about the information overload. I'm like my dad; my mom used to say if you asked him what time it was he would tell you how to build a watch.... :lol:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm
I JUST want to know about this specific model of Colt 1911 in 9mm... Dont need any other specifics about caliber, double stack, recoil, reloading or cost of ammo.

I just want to know about this Colt M1991A1 in 9mm...!!! :roll:

IIRC, the Colt Model 1911/1991 was issued with plastic triggers & mainspring housing - two things that would be a deal-breaker (especially price-wise) for me. (YMMV, of course),

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm I JUST want to know about this specific model of Colt 1911 in 9mm... Dont need any other specifics about caliber, double stack, recoil, reloading or cost of ammo. I just want to know about this Colt M1991A1 in 9mm...!!! :roll:

But life would be so boring without thread drift
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm I JUST want to know about this specific model of Colt 1911 in 9mm... Dont need any other specifics about caliber, double stack, recoil, reloading or cost of ammo. I just want to know about this Colt M1991A1 in 9mm...!!! :roll:

What? So, you don't want to hear about a buddy's cousin's sister that had a HiPoint?? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sure, if she's single and from Coldfoot, drives a Nissan Patrol, pulling a Hillbilly Airstream and can fillet a Grayling! I'll know by friday about this Colt that I WANT but dont need! Todd/3leg

PS i already have an American made double stack 9mm, figured it needs a single stack sibling....