New rifle from DICK'S followed me home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

New rifle from DICK'S followed me home

Post by t.r. »

Yesterday, DICK'S had their RUGER 10-22 rifles on sale for $199.00 and I couldn't pass this one up. I've been hearing great things about the 10-22 for many years. The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all. Maybe next weekend I'll have time to try it out.

This scope was mounted to my 12 gauge slug gun for many years and proved to be sturdy while holding its zero despite heavy recoil. I removed the scope and mounted it to my new Ruger. It is a TASCO from the early 1990's featuring 4X and long eye relief.

Anyone else have stories to share about their Ruger 10-22 rifles?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New rifle from DICK'S followed me home

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had a bunch of them over the years (each kid we had gave an excuse to 'upgrade' and give the kid my latest 'old' one :D ). They pretty much all work well.

I like the takedown threaded one 'best', but they all do the job well.

I also have a Ruger 96/22 which I like even better.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Must be part of their inventory reduction plan to eliminate all rifles and hunting gear. Dick's just announced they plan to stop selling hunting rifles and gear at all of their stores.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd put that scope back on your slug gun and get a rimfire/air gun scope. 10/22s can be scope killers, the forward bolt travel makes regular scopes fall apart internally. A buddy of mine put 7 scopes on his before he got one to hold zero.
However they are great guns! I've got a LR, a magnum and a 77/22- always GO-TO guns.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm I'd put that scope back on your slug gun and get a rimfire/air gun scope. 10/22s can be scope killers, the forward bolt travel makes regular scopes fall apart internally. A buddy of mine put 7 scopes on his before he got one to hold zero.
However they are great guns! I've got a LR, a magnum and a 77/22- always GO-TO guns.
I didn't know that about the scopes....I have an old Burris Speed Dot on my take-down stainless...hope it holds up. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Normally high quality scopes are ok. Tasco, bushnell and the other lower end stuff will destroy itself. I put a Weaver 6x on mine 25 years ago and it is still dead nuts. The red dots are probably fine.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:07 pm Normally high quality scopes are ok. Tasco, bushnell and the other lower end stuff will destroy itself. I put a Weaver 6x on mine 25 years ago and it is still dead nuts. The red dots are probably fine.
That Burris has been thru some real rough "pelosi"....Guy I got it from had it on a 45-70. I had it on a 629 for years and a BFR in 45-70 for a couple hundred shots with Garrett-level loads....If there's something broke in there, I've not noticed it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say its proven!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've given several 10/22's to my kids & grandkids over the past 45 years.

I equipped each one with a 1" tubed 4-power scope from WallyWorld ($25 ea), and none of the rifles have lost zero yet.

10/22's can be accurate (I reworked the triggers on the ones made prior to the switch to sintered metal for the internal parts), and they are stone reliable.

I never bothered to upgrade/change the ones I had, but there are more aftermarket goodies available for the 10/22 than any other rifle.(although AR's might now give the 1/22 a run for it's money, with available accessories).

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

On my opinion they are like a Winchester 94 in 30-30, every gun guy should have one. I currently have two but have had many over the years. Reliable, fun, and with all the aftermarket support can do almost anything you want it too. I have two as I said but.. until this year we couldn’t even hunt with them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm On my opinion they are like a Winchester 94 in 30-30, every gun guy should have one. I currently have two but have had many over the years. Reliable, fun, and with all the aftermarket support can do almost anything you want it too. I have two as I said but.. until this year we couldn’t even hunt with them.
In Washington State, every 10-22, along with every other semi-auto long gun is NOW classified as an assault rifle. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations!

whatever you do don't visit the rimfirecentral.com website. If you do that $199 rifle will soon have another $800 worth of ad on with it.

But you can start with a Ruger BX trigger... just sayin.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Blaine, maybe somebody should let the legislators know assault weapon has a definition and it includes the phrase select fire, no matter what the uneducated think. Once again people with no clue making laws about stuff they know nothing about. I haven’t ever seen a select fire 10/22 but that would be cool.
I can call a dog, a cat all day long....don’t make it a cat.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.