Black Powder velocities

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Black Powder velocities

Post by Old Savage »

This data is with a T/C New Englander .50 Cal. Thought I would be using comically but ended up liking round ball much better. Thought this might be interesting to somebody.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Black Powder velocities

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I have not thought to chronograph my muzzleloader.

On a semi-related note, I've seen an article on a black powder gun (muzzleloader I think) that shot 3,000 fps or so. I'll have to dig that up. Specialty/odd stuff, but interesting.

Your data is far more practical for my needs though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I'm glad someone else likes black powder, specs are hard to find or I'm not looking the right place.
Hopefully this is right.
For up to a 50 cal pistol round fffg and fill to a light pack regardless of which caliber.
For longer rifle 45-70 etc us ffg and do the same fill. I've NEVER loaded a rifle in black powder (yet).
For my blackpowder shooting pair (handgun and rifle) I went with 45 Colt.

How many blackpowder loaders out there?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I like reading real world velocities people get with any type of firearm.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A very long time ago my T/C Renegade .54 RB would supposedly do 2000fps with 120 grains of Pyrodex P.....Back then nobody had chronys this was what T/C said in their book.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

David, I have run black in my 45 colt 71/2"bbl. mag primer 2F 35 or 36gr a 255gr 1-20 fn got me 900 fps, 3F got some more fps. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BigSky56 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm David, I have run black in my 45 colt 71/2"bbl. mag primer 2F 35 or 36gr a 255gr 1-20 fn got me 900 fps, 3F got some more fps. danny
Danny,
Why magnum primers?

Thanks for the 45 Colt velocities. I didn't know them, but I do know 40 grs 3F w/ a 250 gr is a hand full out of my 4.75" Cattleman.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Joe, I read in Mike Ventruino's books that he got better accuracy with mag primers so that's what I started with. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My hunting load with my 36 inch .451 Kentucky rifle is 90 grains of 3fff. never had it checked by chronograph, but I think it moving right along. It sure puts deer down quick. I use #11 caps the German ones when I can get them.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BigSky56 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:46 pm Joe, I read in Mike Ventruino's books that he got better accuracy with mag primers so that's what I started with. danny
Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***