Which has more nitrites/nitrates

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Which has more nitrites/nitrates

Post by Tycer »

This:

Or this:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which has more nitrites/nitrates

Post by Tycer »

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... free-bacon

Excerpt:
Cooks Illustrated wrote:When we fried up strips of our favorite supermarket bacon, Farmland Hickory Smoked, along with Farmland All-Natural Uncured Bacon (“no nitrate or nitrite added”), tasters found the samples virtually identical in taste and texture. To quantify the nitrite and nitrate levels in these bacons, we sent three packages of each type to a lab for testing. For comparison, we also sent three packages of the Best Buy from our tasting of artisanal bacon, Applegate Farms Uncured Sunday Bacon (labeled “no nitrites added”). As we expected, all of the bacons contained nitrite and nitrate, and the nitrite levels were well within U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines of no more than 120 parts per million (ppm). But to our surprise, the uncured bacons actually had higher levels of nitrite than the cured meat: Farmland Hickory Smoked Bacon registered an average of 9.7 ppm nitrite (and 48 ppm nitrate), while its All-Natural counterpart showed an average of 16.3 ppm nitrite (and 10.3 ppm nitrate). And the Applegate Farms Uncured Sunday Bacon averaged more than three times the level of the regular bacon: 35 ppm nitrite (and nearly as much nitrate, at 44.3 ppm).
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fascinating, as Mr. Spock would say!
Have to admit Farmland is a favorite brand.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What I get a kick out of is GLEUTEN FREE... Last time I looked pigs weren't made of wheat!
That leads me to NON-GMO, Every plant and animal is genetically modified. If not for man accelerating the genetics we would not have such variety of fruits and veggies...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When Kroger-brand thick-sliced in the huge family pac goes on sale about once a month I pick up two or three. I like it. The dog likes it. I'm gonna die someday anyway. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I will never know or care. :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Back in the day them cheap red hot dogs actually had saltpetre in them. You were supposed to boil them first before grilling to render out the bad stuff. If the boiling water did not turn pink then you had not boiled them quite long enough.

We ate so many red hot dogs and pink bologna as kids i'd swear our blood type was gun powder or stump killer. I hope the undertaker who loads me into the oven is prayed-up and has life insurance.

Reminds me of the old butcher's quip. "Never ask what is in the sausage."
m.A.g.a. !
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Reminds me of the old butcher's quip. "Never ask what is in the sausage."

Otherwise known as, "mystery bags".

Cheers Mark
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Jack Daniels is gluten free! 8)
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

How can you have "uncured" bacon?

Post by Alan in Vermont »

Something that is beyond the the pay grade of this old country kid is how can you have "uncured" bacon? When I searched for "What is Bacon" I got several variations of this "cured meat from the sides and belly of a pig, having distinct strips of fat and typically served in thin slices.
cured meat from the back of a pig"
. Hence if it's not cured it is not bacon.

When we butchered a pig a my Grandparents farm we called the side/belly "fresh bacon". My inlaws called it "side pork". The store I can find it at now has "side pork". I think he also has "slab bacon", which he cuts to order and has been cured/smoked.

The stuff being sold as uncured bacon apparently has been smoked but not cured. Truth in advertising? Not hardly! At least not in my world.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

"Uncured" is a misleading term to garner market share for those who don't want added nitrates.
They use celery juice which is very high in nitrites and is considered natural, except theres no knowing just how high the nitrites are. With the curing nitrites the amount is standardized.
Nitrites are Nitrites, if anyone thinks the "natural uncured" product is healthier...they're wrong.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The best bacon I've ever had I bought at my local SAVE A Lot grocery store. It's called Tom N Teds. When I was driving for SAVE A LOT I picked loads of it in Jax, Fl. It's a great thick cut bacon.
I've recently started to reduce my salt intake and can't tolerate bacon any more. The salt makes me want to pucker. I've been thinking of trying uncured pork belly to see how that does.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.