Browning 1895 35 Whelen AI

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
roundshoes
Levergunner

Browning 1895 35 Whelen AI

Post by roundshoes »

I recently purchased a Browning 1895 in 30-06 cartridge. I am planning to re-chamber/barrel this rifle to 35 Whelen or similar. There has been great discussion with much input over time about completing such conversions. But, I never noticed anyone inquire about converting the "06 into 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. I am not primarily interested in extra (minimal) increased bullet speed with improved cartridge but preserving case life and reducing thrust at bolt face as pressure increases compared to standard 35 Whelen cartridge and so I think. Am I "splitting hairs" in the fact that even the new Browning (Miroku) higher pressure resistant rifles shouldn't be loaded to "maximum" loads. The additional tedious prep/reloading part doesn't bother me. Thanks for your input.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Browning 1895 35 Whelen AI

Post by Leverluver »

Just one persons opinion but I have done pressure tests on some cartridges that have gone into modern 95s, both in dedicated pressure guns as well in 95s after the baseline was set. I think the 35Whelen is an excellent cartridge for the 30-06 Browning 95. There is basically no extra fiddling necessary beyond the rechamber and rerifle. Some of the sharper shouldered cases (AI or Hawk) will feed "OK" but not as smoothly as the original Whelen. The second thing, the factory 35 Whelen (don't know if Rem still makes them, even occasionally) has a more moderate chamber pressure than the 30-06, probably due to the arms that it was intended for when it was introduced, like the Rem pump and auto. Again, in my opinion, that is a good idea. Yes the Brownings and new Winchesters can and will take the full pressure (60KSI) of the 30-06 but as you mentioned case life if not action life is reduced, not a lot but it is reduced. No matter the cartridge, I found better case life in the 95s I worked with if pressures were kept in the 52-53KSI range which is pretty much the same as Winchester's originally intended 44KCUP for the 95. The 95 action is long and even if it is not stressed anywhere close to failure point it DOES stretch (and rebound) a tiny amount at every firing and that is what works the brass. Every rear lockup will do that to some extent but the longer the action the more it will do so. With the 35 Whelen (loaded to Rem factory specs) you have a cartridge that will exceed the original 35 Winchester by 100-150fps with 250 grain bullets and that is nothing to sneeze at. I love that dude in "The Last Alaskans" that still packs an original 95 in 35 Win and by no means is he under-gunned, even for Alaska.

I am sure many will disagree but, once again, just one guy's opinion and like all opinions, it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

One other thing, it was found that there is a hard spot in the barrel just under the front sight. It isn't a deal killer but whoever does the rifling job should be made aware of it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

roundshoes wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 pm
I recently purchased a Browning 1895 in 30-06 cartridge.

I am planning to re-chamber/barrel this rifle to 35 Whelen or similar.

Am I "splitting hairs" in the fact that even the new Browning (Miroku) higher pressure resistant rifles shouldn't be loaded to "maximum" loads.

Two things...………………..

* A re-chamber/re-barrel isn't needed - just have Jess Ompaugh rebore it to .358" ( www.35caliber.com ), like another board member did:

( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59990 ).

* While the new Browning/Winchester/Miroku Model 1895 is made of better steel than the 100 year old originals, it's more about the design - since it's still a rear-locking bolt design within a receiver that has no solid top/bottom that may/may not flex slightly with maximum loads.

That said, I had N.P. with my .405 Winchester/Miroku Model 1895.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pete44ru said "That said, I had N.P. with my ,405 Winchester/Miroku Model 1895."

+1
And my African DG loads of 400 grain Woodies at 2076fps generated 48,000+ psi in my .405 with extended chamber.
That chamber also lowered peak pressures of factory ammo and other hand loads with no change of POI, velocity, or accuracy. Good ROI on the $75 it cost me. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very cool project, always though that would be a cool one. When the Browning '95s came out Ken Waters had a 30-40 Krag rebored to 35 caliber, not sure it it was a 35 Krag or a true 35 Winchester but either way I though it was about the coolest thing going.

Eric
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Charles, your .405 is a candidate for "legendary." 8)
Leverluver, I have long thought the .35 Winchester deserves more respect and attention in this year of our Lord 2019.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I had a 30-40 Krag Browning 1895 rebored/chambered by JES, to 38-72. Took a bit of action work, but he got it running. I just need to change sights as it is way off
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If was inclined to use .35 Whelen AI, it would be in a bolt or single shot and not a levergun.
If you want to extend case life, shoot cast at moderate speeds.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
roundshoes
Levergunner

Post by roundshoes »

Thank you for the replies. So, as stated, would extending chamber be good for lowering peak pressures for this conversion? Is there calculations and/or formula that one can do to figure out exactness of extension. JES Enterprises is near where I am located. Thanks again.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The chamber extension lowered peak pressure in my 1895 .405 and it is logical for that to be the case. However, I had the chamber lengthened to allow crimping the Woodleigh 400 grain bullets at the cannelure, not to lower the pressure. I did use my Pressure Trace II after the work and loading tests and the pressures went down for my earlier hand loads and Hornady 300 grain factory loads. I do not have any way to accurately predict the effect on pressures of other loads in other cartridges or rifles.

There may be a way to compute or forecast such, but I cannot help with that.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/