Fresh thoughts on concealed carry choice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Fresh thoughts on concealed carry choice?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just completed the two-day New Mexico concealed carry course yesterday -- a full day of classroom work, then most of a day doing live fire drills before qualifying. NM law is peculiar: you must qualify with both a revolver and a semiauto if you wish to carry either one, and you may only carry a handgun of the caliber you qualified with or smaller; if you qualify with a 9mm, you may not carry a .45.
So I shot the drills and qualified with my Ruger SR-1911 commander in .45 ACP, then borrowed the instructor's Smith Model 25 to shoot the revolver targets.
Several observations:
I am more familiar with 1911s than any other platform, and carrying cocked and locked is second nature. But I have owned Glocks and done well with them.
The 1911 is on the heavy side, suffers from limited capacity and is much harder for me to clear a double-feed error or even change mags than with a Glock or similar auto. My thumbs are short enough that I have to totally regrip the 1911 in order to release the slide. I also find I have to really slap the butt of the magazine (if without a bumper) to ensure it is fully seated. No such issue with a Glock.
So I am thinking a lighter and more compact arm with greater capacity is in my future. I could probably live with -- and survive an encounter -- with a 9 or a .40 with top-shelf defensive ammo vs. the .45.
Among the striker-fired polymer guns, I also like the Springfield XDs, although I found the XD compact in .45 ACP bulky enough when I owned one that I did not often carry it.
Who else has been down this road lately?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fresh thoughts on concealed carry choice?

Post by crs »

Recently bought Springfield XDE 9mm with ambi safety, ambi mag release. I like hammers, so mine is not striker fired, but is DA for first shot.
My local gun range also sells a variety of weapons and will order most anything you like.
I showed the clerk my S&W M39 and told her I wanted a compact auto with ambi controls, DA, etc and she went to work.
Next time in , she laid out several options and the Springfield 9 made in Croatia had it all - so I bought it.
It functions flawlessly and at close range (5-7 yards) is just the ticket. At longer ranges I have other handgun options and then rifles. :):):) .

Hand guns are very personal items and one size rarely fits all. For instance, the 1911 .45 seem too large for me to grip, but the M39 is just right. Be sure to try before you buy.

PS the same clerk packs good iron (Sig) and was also able to provide a nice selection for my wife to review. Wife chose Sig 238-380-xtm with green laser - a very slick package that is easy to operate and to shoot accurately.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm a dinosaur, so a big semiauto is what I prefer. Either my S&W 745 .45ACP or my S&W 59 9MM. But in summer months when it's lighter clothing wear I end up with my little S&W .22LR semiauto, and I am still pondering a compact 9mm for a better choice.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks Pete, but Glocks do not fit me either.

I had to put down a wounded Gemsbok and my PH handed me his Glock, but would not shoot the animal for me, despite my protestations. Even standing just above it, I took two shots to kill it.

My wife even out shot me on our first concealed carry shooting test because the range provided Glock 17 pistols and insisted we use them! BTW, she also shot better scores using our M39 pistols on succeeding tests.
Fortunately, Texas no longer requires such long term testing.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Bill, take the course with a 9 and then again with a 40 and carry whatever ya darn well want to! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. Gunny, by shooting the course with the .45s, I can carry any similar or smaller caliber including 9, .40, .380, .357, .44 Special, .45 Colt etc.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Steve, thanks. I did have a Model 40 for a while, and found it pretty darned controllable. But gee it was big.
I had a Glock 23 not long after they first came out, and liked it. Will handle one again.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When WA starts testing :evil: , I'll have my S&W 25 and Glock 30S....
What did that two days cost? Here in WA I'm sure whatever Commie EssoBee is governor will want to pad the general fund. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, the course was $150 plus ammo; license is $56 to the state and $44 to the electronic fingerprinting contractor.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm Blaine, the course was $150 plus ammo; license is $56 to the state and $44 to the electronic fingerprinting contractor.
WOW! Can we all say "Infringed"? :evil:
Now that my 10-22 and old Browning .22 Auto are Assault Weapons...you read that right...I'll need a license and class for THOSE, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah gotcha, I musta misread your post... day day light savings ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well its not an original idea but ever since I went with the S&W Shield I've been pleased by its performance and portability. I tried one of the M&P 45 ACP single stack shortys and offered by S&W and it felt good in the hand and I thought the recoil was less then I expected. I will probably buy one before I'm through.

As for revolvers ...... I still favor the Charter Arms 44 spl. I won't try to justify it to a skeptic but it hits where I aim and it hits hard.

Wm

P.S. My Michigan CHL is up for renewal and it will cost me 4 hours (3 hours class room & 1 hour range) and $120
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For 3 seasons, I carry a 1911. I have all three sizes, and in steel and LW. Even with these options, I carry a 5" steel Gov't. The secret with any pistol is the holster.
However, if the pistol doesn't fit your hand, it don't fit.
For many years, for weather or convenience, I carried a J frame or small pistol.
Couple years ago, I decided to stop this habit. The smallest pistol I carry now is a Glock 19. I carry it in a Dale Fricke appendix holster and can conceal it with a t-shirt. Took some getting used to, but I am much better armed.
Carry the most gun you can. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with it and shoot it well. That always trumps caliber.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill, the Smith M-P compact with factory laser comes up nice and to point of aim, fits my hand well for a small pistol. I like the 40, lots of good deals on them. Palmetto State Amoury has daily specials, every day keep checking. Tidd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Never was much one for polymer pistols, and I am partial to revolvers, but I did stumble across a neat gun a while back.

I was in the market for something a little different, but I wasn't crazy about getting a striker fired gun. Very nearly got a Canik. I believe it was the entry level model I was looking at, originally, but the sf Elite or Elite-S probably would have suited a little better. They reviewed very well, and reportedly have very good triggers. But then came across a Sarsilmaz B6C on sale.

Built on a CZ-75 type platform, which appealed to me, stainless barrel, and with what seems to be some sort of tennifer, or nitride coating on the slide. Has easy to view 3 dot sights, that are glow in the dark. Of course if it was stored in a dark spot, a quick blast with a bright flashlight will get them glowing. Comes with a couple mags, and Mech-Gar CZ-75 (compact) mags work well also, though they are a hair longer. I took off the pinky rest on the mags, and replaced it with the metal floor plates.

I rounded a couple corners, and cut "CZ" scallops in hopes of making the gun compatible with a wide range of holsters. though the trigger guard is a bit wide. I hit the frame with a couple different colours of "Camo" paint, which sticks pretty well.

Seems to be an accurate gun, and fun to shoot; though the sights as it came seem to be slightly off, and the large profile maybe aren't the best for target work. It's digested everything I've put through it, though a few times (maybe with lighter bullets), the stiff extractor hasn't quite snapped over the rim. I haven't tried tuning or polishing, as it just took a light tap on the back of the slide to seat. If I get concerned about it, I might go to a heavier spring, and just shoot heavier grain +P, though I don't recall if it's recommended.

Over all it's a quality gun, and I like it a lot. Fairly light, quite a bit more compact than a full size CZ-75/85 type in steel. Easy to shoot, nice safety and quick to bear when carried as intended with chamber loaded on half cock. Take down and reassembly is easy as well.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Got to shoot the new Beretta/Benelli/Stoeger glock 19 clone this weekend. Really nice clone. $300 OTD

Carry what you will carry everyday. Settle for nothing less.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you like a 1911, you don't have to sacrifice capacity. My P-12 'Officer Model' is a double-stack fistful of power and holds 12 rounds; the grip is only 3/16the inch more circumference, and you can put an extended slide release on it if you want (with 12 rounds you probably won't change mags in a fight though).

The 'regular size' double-stack I have holds 14 rounds.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've got three that are carry compatible with holsters I like ,

Kimber 1911 5" 45 ACP

S&W 19-3 4"

S&W 36

With the 1911 I usually carry two extra mags on my belt , with the 19-3 I usually carry two speed loaders in my pocket and same with the 36 .

Lately I'm finding myself carrying the 36 more then anything . On a side note I’ve run across a rather nice 19-3 , 2 1/2” if I can get it that might be what I carry more often .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hey Wm, I too have relied on the .44spl for every day concealed carry. I carry it in a cross draw CME holster because my right shoulder won't let me draw form the right side. This rig is completely concealed under a T shirt. If the .44 can't get it done you better go back to the house. It is loaded with 240 gr. hard cast or 250 cast hollow point and lots of Unique.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Quite often I have a Star PD on me. Or a sixgun. I am comfortable with a single action sixgun under my belt. Funny thing. I have never had a failure to feed or a stovepipe with the single action revolver! :D I can be found with a 1911 sometimes and have even been caught carrying a S&W revolver! I am an old fanny burp who does not care for the modern made polymer stuff. That's my preference. I ain't trying to convince anyone else to think my way. Use what you like and what works for you.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my Walther &Wesson model 99 in .40 caliber. The slide is Walther and the frame is Smith & Wesson. The last time I had to shoot to qualify for my license to carry, I used it and shot left handed only. I am right handed. My score was 247 out of a possible 250. That is the pistol with the Double/Single action striker fired and has a button on the slide to de-cock the striker back to double action. It also has a one quarter inch trigger reset. Double taps are accidental and often unless good trigger control is in muscle memory. Most everyone on here would be able to handle it without any issue whatsoever. People who are new to firearms tend to shoot all 8 shots with 1 squeeze of the trigger.

Pierce Brosnan's James Bond carried the same pistol in at least 1, maybe 2, movies. It is my favorite pistol to carry when the weather is cool enough to carry something larger than a Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm I am an old fanny burp who does not care for the modern made polymer stuff. That's my preference.
So that's why you look so much like Lee Marvin now. :)
m.A.g.a. !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glock 43X - 9mm 10-shot...plastic has worked well since 1984... :)
IMG_E0367.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm Quite often I have a Star PD on me. Or a sixgun. I am comfortable with a single action sixgun under my belt. Funny thing. I have never had a failure to feed or a stovepipe with the single action revolver! :D I can be found with a 1911 sometimes and have even been caught carrying a S&W revolver! I am an old fanny burp who does not care for the modern made polymer stuff. That's my preference. I ain't trying to convince anyone else to think my way. Use what you like and what works for you.
Star PD! There's a blast from the past. I had one of those many years ago. It was one of my first carry pistols. Snappy little bugger if I recall.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 pm Bill, the Smith M-P compact with factory laser comes up nice and to point of aim, fits my hand well for a small pistol. I like the 40, lots of good deals on them. Palmetto State Amoury has daily specials, every day keep checking. Tidd/3leg
Bill, my bad. Itsa S&W 9mm Shield.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Call me old school. Call me a dinosaur. But if at all possible a full size 1911A1. I tend to want what works.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I prefer a short barreled Smith 19 on the belt or an old Colt Agent with a hammer shroud slipped in my pocket, often both. That said, I recently installed a trigger kit on a Smith M&P 45 Compact for shooting buddy and it handles wonderfully. It is light and points very naturally for me.

Eric
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I pocket carry either a s&w model 40 or a sig 238. In cooler weather where I wear a vest or jac shirt to cover it I belt carry a 3" s&w model 36.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

One consideration for me that lets out the .380s and 9mm Maks is the availability of a CCI snake load, to make the handgun versatile here in the desert. So that means 9mm, .38/.357, .40 S&W, .44 Spl., .45 or .45 Colt.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 am
JimT wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm I am an old fanny burp who does not care for the modern made polymer stuff. That's my preference.
So that's why you look so much like Lee Marvin now. :)
Yes! I looked like John Wayne when I was much younger. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, y'all mean like this, taken in 1930, when the Duke was 23?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Was JimT ever that young? :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm Was JimT ever that young? :lol:
Wow. I can't remember that far back!!