Martini Rifles at "The Battle of Bronkhorstspruit"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Martini Rifles at "The Battle of Bronkhorstspruit"

Post by Old No7 »

Any Martini Rifle fans here??? As they DO have a lever!!!

Lots of Martinis in use in this 6-minute youtube video about a 15-minute engagement in the First Boer War on 12/20/1880 named "The Battle of Bronkhorstspruit" (click here for link).

The outcome of the battle was:
* 156 British soldiers killed or wounded; the rest taken captive
* 2 Boers were killed, 5 were wounded

I believe this may be the first ever video I've seen of action from any Boer War; and other than Zulu or Zulu Dawn, I've never seen so many Martinis in action before.

I think it also shows us that being behind cover, having an elevation advantage, wearing camo clothing (well, sort of, but certainly better than wearing red coats!), marksmanship and the element of surprise (even after a warning was issued...) were all great advantages for the Boers.

I am curious though, if any historians know for sure whether the Brits marched into the ambush like they were out on parade?!?!

Hope you enjoy it. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Martini Rifles at "The Battle of Bronkhorstspruit"

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl, please do not post anymore Martini videos, I'm fighting an urge to buy a Greener GP and you're not helping.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 pm Darryl, please do not post anymore Martini videos, I'm fighting an urge to buy a Greener GP and you're not helping.... :lol:
LOL, that's me John -- just ask The Ysabel Kid -- just trying to help!

Maybe you want to make your own "Martini" ? ? ? :wink:

Make a Martini.jpg

Cheers!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great action video clip, love all the BP smoke :D Those were the days Lions led by Donkeys.
They say in the UK every time Zulu is shown on TV sales of Martini rifles and shotguns go up. I am presently waiting to hear if a Greener GP in very nice condition is still for sale at only $158.00, it's only two hours away too.
Never did see the attraction of drinking martini's. Step 2 makes more sense.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Martinis I love them

TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:00 pm Any Martini Rifle fans here??? As they DO have a lever!!![/i

I am curious though, if any historians know for sure whether the Brits marched into the ambush like they were out on parade?!?!

Hope you enjoy it. :wink:

Old No7

Pretty much

From the article here: http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol052gd.html

"Other than the forming of a laager each night, no other noticeable precautions appear to have been taken and everything points to the fact that the column continued its march very much at ease - with only 30 rounds of ammunition per man in place of the 70 they had been ordered to carry; with the band, about 40 strong, playing, and therefore unarmed; with some of the rifles left on the wagons; and with an inadequate reconnaissance party, consisting of 2 scouts forward and 2 with the rearguard, far too close for complete coverage."

And from: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/03/2 ... rstspruit/

The whole column of marching men and thirty-four wagons extended nearly one mile and blissfully continued on its way with the band playing. It was about two miles from the intended campsite when a rider approached the leading wagons showing a white flag of truce. The British were unsure what was happening but Anstruther had the presence of mind to give the order to close ranks. The order was passed down the column and the band stopped playing. The rider approached Anstruther and handed him a document, which was an ultimatum signed by a Boer leader, Piet Joubert, and was countersigned by Paul Kruger. The order instructed Anstruther not to continue over the river until certain diplomatic negotiations between the British and Boers were resolved. It warned that if the troops advanced beyond the stream the Boers would construe the movement as an act of war.

The rider added that two minutes would be allowed for the column commander to decide his course of action. While Anstruther was considering his predicament and the two-minute ultimatum ticked away, the Boer commando, under the protection of the white flag, approached the column to within 200 yards of the wagons and positioned themselves behind rocks and trees. According to witnesses, Anstruther replied:

I have orders to proceed with all possible despatch to Pretoria and to Pretoria I am going, but tell the Commandant I have no wish to meet him in hostile spirit.

As Anstruther made his comment of non-cooperation, the rider holding the white flag turned his horse and made a signal to the Boers, who immediately opened fire on the helpless and unsuspecting column. The unprotected wagons and soldiers, many of whom were unarmed, were sitting targets for the Boer marksmen and within minutes Anstruther was shot and wounded six times and all the officers and most of the NCOs were killed or wounded, as were more than half the soldiers. To save the lives of the remainder, the seriously wounded Anstruther gave the order to cease firing and to hoist something white to signify their surrender. This done, firing ceased on both sides and the Boers closed in. They ordered the surviving soldiers to lay down their weapons, which they did. The Boers then collected up all available weapons and drove off the wagons containing arms and ammunition, and anything else they considered of use or value.
Last edited by TANGO 4C on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Makes me think of corporations of today.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

barbarossa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:16 pm Martinis I love them
Me too.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

TANGO 4C thanks for posting the information on the battle, very interesting.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Gamekeeper - there are four Greener GPs in the Holts Auction later this month. Guide prices from £50 to £120. After the auction they sell off unsold lots at the lower guide price.

Perry
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Perry,
I had an email this AM saying the GP was still available then an email PM sorry it's gone. :cry:
Prices seem crazy at the moment for GPs some low and some very high.
I'll check out Holt's.. :wink:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful film clip. Is there an actual movie about the First Boer War -- perhaps in Afrikaans?
Makes me miss the Martinis I have had.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hindsight being 20/20 we can pick apart the British army’s actions. Pretty much every military and nation has failed to see what’s right in front of them. Heck, happened to us twice big time. Once in 1941 and again in 2001. Looking at things today its obvious many have already forgotten the last time. I really doubt it will take 60 years before it happens again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A South African friend confirms this is from an old movie in Afrikaans: "Majuba, Berg van die Duiwe" ("Majuba, Mountain of Doves").
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I like the story Walter Bell writes of he being given 8 Snider rifles to arm his ivory party prior to leaving british east africa and crossing the turkwel into the rock and thorn country of abyssinia where the great herds of elephants had fled from persecution.

There were no Snider cartridges to be found so gave his camp guards martini-henry cartridges, the head being the same, the .455" bullets rattling down the 28 ga. bore. He said they fielded them to good use by means of instinctive volley fire, dissuading both four legged and two legged interlopers and actually killing a trespassing hyena.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:39 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 pm Darryl, please do not post anymore Martini videos, I'm fighting an urge to buy a Greener GP and you're not helping.... :lol:
LOL, that's me John -- just ask The Ysabel Kid -- just trying to help!

Maybe you want to make your own "Martini" ? ? ? :wink:

Make a Martini.jpg

Cheers!

Old No7
OH YEAH - Darryl is the CHIEF ENABLER here on this site - at least for me! You are barking up the wrong tree John! :lol:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Years ago I had [ HAD]an old .22cal match target rifle full stocked with a bunch of sights on the end of the barrel and some weird one on the receiver. I shot it some and traded it off. With a little more age and a lot of reading I realized that was a Martini match rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15