Cimarron crossfire carbine questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Cimarron crossfire carbine questions

Post by Walker »

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/a2cc ... cf6035daa2

Why did Uberti use the small ladder sight? I've seen larger 1876 ladder sights on the original 1876 rifles. Also, has anyone figured out a better front sight yet? I love this carbine bit it's dang near impossible to get a good sight picture... heck, I'm only 58.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cimarron crossfire carbine questions

Post by Ray »

Great fotos.......

Would opening up the notch with a file help ?
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest a small dollop of orange paint (hobby shop) on the upper portion of the rear face of the front sight blade; then maybe a small dot of white paint just below the rear sight notch.

(tip: to brighten applied colors on a blued sight blade, first lay on a thin coat of white, letting it dry prior to applying the color)

If it doesn't work out, it's easy enough to change the colors to allow for your color perception - or remove the paint altogether.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm .

I would suggest a small dollop of orange paint (hobby shop) on the upper portion of the rear face of the front sight blade; then maybe a small dot of white paint just below the rear sight notch.

If it doesn't work out, it's easy enough to change the colors to allow for your color perception - or remove the paint altogether.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they carry paint pens. Some Wal Mart stores have them in the craft section. Yes, they are easy to use and easy to find a color combination which works for you. I have a blaze orange, a gold, a white, and a neon green one. Those work for me. Silver does not work well for me. Red is OK, and yellow is OK.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Guys, I thought about filing that rear sight to a shallow V like an express sight but with a notch or just swapping it out with either an old Smith full buckhorn 1873 ladder sight or a 3 leaf tangent. I'll try the paint first. Thanks for the ideas,
Terry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Walker wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/a2cc ... cf6035daa2

Why did Uberti use the small ladder sight? I've seen larger 1876 ladder sights on the original 1876 rifles. Also, has anyone figured out a better front sight yet? I love this carbine bit it's dang near impossible to get a good sight picture... heck, I'm only 58.
Walker,

This is only a guess, but I'd bet Uberti made it that way to replicate the restored Winchester 1876 Tom Selleck used in the movie.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Joe, hadn't thought of that. They also might have followed Winchester's example and used whatever they had on hand. I might switch it with the smith ladder anyway. I've been wanting to see how the full buckhorn would work as a close range ghost peep.