Browning B92 barrel thread size vs original Winchester 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Browning B92 barrel thread size vs original Winchester 92

Post by kaschi »

Is is possible to use a Browning B92 (44 Magnum) barrel on an original Winchester 1892 carbine? I recently re-connected with an old friend in Germany after 30 yrs who is totally dedicated to shooting anything that goes bang. He is especially fond of old West guns and ran across a Winchester 92 44-40 Carbine with a shot out bore. When I mentioned that I'd give him a Browning B92 barrel to use for his project, he was elated, but we don't know if this is feasible. A mutual friend of ours over there is a competent gunsmith who could do the work.
I mentioned maybe relining the barrel might be an option. Where could a guy buy a 44-40 barrel liner here in the US?
Thanks for your help in advance! We do appreciate it.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning B92 barrel thread size vs original Winchester 92

Post by model55 »

I think the first problem would be going through customs, if so you may want to see if someone like Green mountain Barrels can export one to him. Hopefully someone will come along with a better idea of customs rules.
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

Hello Kaschi -

The B92 is made by Mikuro and has Japanese (metric?) threads and will not likely fit the Winchester receiver (unless, of course, it is also a Mikuro manufactured rifle).
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Both model 55 and Patientwolf have hit the major snags you will encounter. Not only are the B92's most likely metric I highly doubt you would be able to export or he would be allowed to import.
As for barrel liners there are makers out there, not sure if Brownells still has these or not, they would be a good place to start looking.

Brownells does list a 44-40 liner, out of stock at the moment.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Maybe "Track of the Wolf" might have barrel liners, or possibly Buffalo Arms
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

redmansrifling.com/liners
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The outfits mentioned for the liner would be than likely be able to handle export and a good smith could install it without any outward appearance change of the rifle once done.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not condescending on your buddy but does he have the knowledge to accurately determine if the barrel is truly shot out? Over my years of playing with many hundreds of old guns it has been a rare occurance that I could not make it shoot decently...say 3-5" at 100. Perhaps a talk with him on using properly sized bullets might help.---6
Model A Uzi’s
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

^^^ Oh yes he is indeed capable of determining if a barrel is shot out as does the gunsmith who works on his guns! Based on the way he described the barrel's condition, I told him the simplest solution would be to just have the barrel relined or get another original 92 in better condition. At least that way, he could keep the one with the bad barrel and always have a source for parts---something that may be difficult to find in Europe. He is well aware of Rossi, Italian and Miroku 92s, but being an Old West buff, he has his heart set on an original right now (something we can all appreciate!).

The July 1979 issue of Guns & Ammo mentioned that when the B92 was in its planning stage, an original Winchester 92 was taken and used to get the exact dimensions necessary. I somehow took that to mean that even though Japan uses the metric system, maybe the B92 would follow the inch pattern. If this is the case, my B92 barrel won't work on his original 92.

In the meantime, the least I can provide as far as assistance goes is to follow up on the avenues some of you have given regarding barrel relining. If that's the route taken, we'll see if sending a liner requires a permit. Otherwise, my friend is planning on visiting this year, and he could possibly take it back with him.

Thanks for all your posts, input and advice! I'll let you know how this all unfolds.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The nice thing about re-lining is the original markings are retained. I have had both 44-40 and 32-20 model 92s re-lined with Redman liners and they both shot exceptionally well. Sounds like your friend might like the idea of retaining the originality of the piece in question.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Agree with you totally. I did a little looking on the websites other forum members suggested regarding barrel liners and noticed that some of the businesses made mention that they would not export. So, one can assume that liners either 1) fall under the export laws or 2) they don't want to get into shipping overseas.