Felt Artistic.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Felt Artistic.....

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I was walking an old pioneer wagon road and took a side trip into this bog. Had to take a picture with my Winchester and my hat! The little trees grow in pools of stagnant water, and some of them die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Felt Artistic.....

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice, thanks for sharing... 8)

Glad you didn't leave it there like the 132 year old 73 in Nevada..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lovely! Late winter on the west coast of B.C. I can almost taste the smoked salmon.

8)
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

A few more from last week, I climbed a hill and found an old cabin from a century ago. Pretty big one, about 25 feet long by about 14 wide. I don't think it was completed before the builder left for WW1, because his firewood wasn't even used, and I could find no sign of a well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I hope he married a pretty French girl, instead of dying in the trenches.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:36 pm I hope he married a pretty French girl, instead of dying in the trenches.
I hope so too, I have been researching all of the old cabins I find, by who occupied the property, then finding their war record. So depressing. :cry: Vast majority were either killed or badly maimed, like lost limbs etc. We know that AT LEAST 120 left the island to go to war, but my research is showing that the number is grossly underestimated. I would say that 200 is a conservative figure. Many of them had only just arrived in 1914 and didn't even have their cabins completed. There is no paper trail on them, because they left before they had filed their paperwork.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, thanks for the pics. We still have 3 feet of snow cover in North central MN. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm Nice, thanks for the pics. We still have 3 feet of snow cover in North central MN. Todd/3leg
Never really got any snow here, you can't really tell in the pictures but it's actually a few degrees below freezing.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beautiful! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't understand....why would these guys go to war when nobody probably even knew they were there? I'm thinking they could have gone about their lives out there in the wilderness. Did they want to go?
Interesting....like the pics!----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Beautiful country there QCI, thanks for sharing those images.

And thanks also for sharing the info about the boys & men who left and never made it back.
Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm I don't understand....why would these guys go to war when nobody probably even knew they were there? I'm thinking they could have gone about their lives out there in the wilderness. Did they want to go?
Interesting....like the pics!----6
Six; I'm betting that they did want to go...

I recall comments that a Maine-based Civil War reenactor, historian and dialect coach (for the 20th Maine accent, ayuh) for the movie "Gettysburg" shared when he spoke about the 2 years that he spent preparing the cast for the movie and touring with them as the movie came out. He was responding to a question from an older woman about Pickett's Charge asking: "Why would these men go to war? And why would they line up shoulder to shoulder and march straight into the cannons, rifles and swords waiting for them across an open field, when death or injury was almost certain? Especially after having witnessed and having heard about so much horror and horrible losses from all the prior battles or wars?"

His response was something like this...
"Times were very different back then, and a number of factors combined to make them do it... First of all, folks had incredible pride in their country (which applies to the Canadian soldiers too!) and they were very eager to defend their lands and the future prospects of their children's & grandchildren's heritage from any foes. They felt a responsibility to themselves, their families and to future generations to 'do something' and not just sit at home on the sidelines. For many, it was an opportunity to see something or someplace much bigger and different than their little house back at home; and it was a chance to be a part of 'something big' that would be written about for future generations. Some sought fame, others wanted glory, and others just wanted to get away from where they were and have a chance to start over, even if it meant there was a risk they could die while doing so. While many people were more religious than they are today, most were much more spiritual as well; meaning that they believed in 'fate'. If they were fated to die at 3PM on July 3rd 1863, then it didn't really matter much whether they were marching straight towards Cemetery Ridge, running the other way, or sitting by a stream with a fishin' pole back at home... Pride in their country was also bolstered by 'pride in their states and units'; many of them fighting together with their brothers, cousins, uncles, friends and neighbors. They were too proud to turn and run and leave their family and comrades behind, and so -- all together -- they took one step towards their ultimate fate; then another step, and another, and..."

I think that captures his remarks, which I found fascinating -- and I do hope this adds something to this post.
(And sorry for the tangent if not...)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Six, that’s one of those if you have to ask questions.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Shades of "Crusoe of Lost Lake" (If I remember the title correctly). He was from Maine, homesteaded in the back of beyond B.C., pulled the door closed behind him when he marched off to join the war effort, came home, married the daughter of the closest settler (about 20 miles from his holding, IIRC) and raised a family. In his case, he came back to find everything he left just as it was before he left - and took up where he left off. It's a book worth reading.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Crusoe of Lonesome Lake

https://www.amazon.com/Crusoe-Lonesome- ... 0345238737

Ought to be a great reade.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you 'ole #7.......I do believe that there is something to learn everyday no matter how old you get. I read that...."fate"...."duty"......"adventure"..... makes lots of sense......today, people think they make their own fate......today, not many people believe in duty to their country, only themselves........adventure....I get all of that I want right here on Leverguns, my back yard and the gunclub.

Yea...different breed back in the day. One thing for sure, their testicles were much larger then, maybe the size of grapefruits......I would not even think of going into a mindless sacrificial battle ...which all battles are.....without the best of gear, medical attention, and of course, one of my M-4's all tricked out.---6

Whew....noon...gotta start getting up earlier.....---6
Model A Uzi’s
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hawkeye2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am Crusoe of Lonesome Lake

https://www.amazon.com/Crusoe-Lonesome- ... 0345238737

Ought to be a great reade.
Thanks for sharing the link. Yes, a very good read. He decided he wanted his own airplane, so he taught himself mathematics so he could teach himself aviation engineering. And a lot of other things as well. Ralph Edwards was his name.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Nice pics! Thought the terrain looked very familiar, then I realized that I've experienced it for a time.

Lived on Haida Gwaii for about 1.5 years back when it was still QCI. Or maybe it never stopped being HG! I lived in Masset and about halfway between Masset and Port Clements.

Miss it, and will return someday.

This summer maybe, I will take the wife and kid out there for a couple weeks to show them the islands, and re-explore the area.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:37 pm Very nice, thanks for sharing... 8)

Glad you didn't leave it there like the 132 year old 73 in Nevada..... :wink:
I get a kick out of how crazy people are with the camouflage. I like camo, but don't need to camo everything.

Reminds me of when I first got my stainless Marlin Guide Gun. I needed an extra hand free, so I found a place to lean my rifle. I walked about 30 feet away to hold stuff.
When I turned around and walked back, it took me a minute to find my rifle! The grey bark of the trees, stainless, and brown of the wood, and all the earth tones blended together like I couldn't believe! :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.