Nice day for a walk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Nice day for a walk

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Finally had a "serious" hike at White Sands National Monument today. We hiked the Alkali Flat Trail -- at five miles, the longest in the park. The going is pretty tough where the dunes are steep and the sand is really soft, but much of the surface is nicely firm. Our weather was perfect -- low 70s, with almost no wind. Once temps warm into the 80s and or the wind is up, a hike here can be miserable and even life-threatening if you fail to hydrate. The gypsum sand is coarser and sharper than beach sand and can actually abrade skin when being blown hard enough -- which happens regularly.
Conditions were so nice that we ended up doing the hike barefoot. I have never, ever hiked five miles in bare feet, but this was a total pleasure.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Nice day for a walk

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow. Bare feet that far would do me in....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Glad you had nice weather.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

For some reason the photo was too big to post, so trying this. My feet are feeling a little abused this morning, but not bad considering.

https://flic.kr/p/24pQeiz
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now that looks like some fine walking there Bill -- glad the old back is letting you walk through that stuff.

We have similar around your old stomping grounds in Central Oregon right now. But you'd sink knee deep in the this white ash and you sure wouldn't want to be barefoot. I'm hoping our "sand" does some melting soon 'cause I have a batch of loads to test out and I'll need to be able to see some dust when trying for the long gongs.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice !

I woulda had to take a camel with waterbags along with me...….. :roll:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, have to stop every mile or so and decompress the "old back," as I am getting a second opinion right now on a third fusion, dang it.
Sorry your frozen sand is getting in the way of your shooting, my friend. But those snowpack/water year figures bode well for Oregon's river basins!
8)