Buffalo Bore's 44-40 "Heavy"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Buffalo Bore's 44-40 "Heavy"

Post by Bryan Austin »

Has anyone tried this ammo yet? Just curious how it performed for you.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=513
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Buffalo Bore's 44-40 "Heavy"

Post by Blaine »

*bump*
FWIW, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about BB's ammo. It's just a bit expensive. IF you have a modern firearm that will take the beating I'll bet you could come close with your own hand-rolled and save a ton of money.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Blaine, I feel the same way. I have loads for the .44spl that would be close to BB. I also have loads for my single action .45 Colt with a 260 grain hard cast bullet that would be consider to heavy for the gun. They are John Taffin loads.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm pretty sure that my fffg loads of a full case compressed and loaded with 200 grain bullets cast of No. 2 alloy will just about equal the BB load. I know it kills deer just fine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Highly under rated round in these modern times. My grand dad killed a heckuva lot of critters with his.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Love that photo, M.M. There is just so very much that is "right" about it.

8)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 am Love that photo, M.M. There is just so very much that is "right" about it.

8)
And I ate some of him last night.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Hi guys!! Yeah, I get the hint no one has tried them. I understand cause they are expensive but certainly worth the money for those that don't handload. I purchased some a while back and used them in my pressuretrace MGM barrel for testing. Since I know they claim to be loaded to right at SAAMI max pressures, I used them as my control for testing handloads. It has been a lengthy process and fun as well.

This all started years ago when I wanted to learn the true history of the 44WCF. I will spare you guys the details and get to the point. You can upload my data here: https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44cen ... re-testing scroll to the bottom of the page. BUT REMEMBER this is my results and I could be wrong!!!

Buffalo Bore's "Heavy" is accurate and reaches past 1,300fps. This means a good four inches less drop at 100 yards compared to Winchester's Super-X loads @ 1,056fps 4 1/2" 6 shot group.

After some 232 targets and some 2,000 rounds, 82 pressure tests @ 10 rounds each..... Buffalo Bore's 1,300fps, Winchester's original 1,300fps and High Velocity 1,500fps are nothing to laugh at. I can get consistent 4" groups at 100 yards with certain loads.

44-40 History: https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44centerfire
Early Smokeless loads: https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44cen ... ss-powders
Pressure Testing: https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44cen ... re-testing
Much Much more.....

LOADS OVER 11,000psi MAY NOT BE SAFE FOR WINCHESTER 73' TYPE WEAK ACTIONS AND BLACK POWDER FRAME REVOLVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeesh, forums are all different and I cant get images to work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bryan Austin on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

ahhh, I am getting somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Typical Winchester Super-X results plus a few others
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jack, this is just a gold mine of .44 WCF data. Thank you so much for sharing the fruits of your dedicated labors!

8)
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Thanks Bill!!!

MM Wright, great score!!!

I tested some Swiss FFG in original Western headstamped semi-balloonhead cases and achieved 1,373 fps @ 14,285psi from a 20" tight chamber MGM barrel. I ran out of Swiss and tried Goex FFFG in original unheadstamped early 1880's semi-balloonhead cases and achieved 1,357fps @12,648 all with Lyman's 427098 hand cast bullets. Same Goex FFFG load in Starline brass gave me only 1,257fps @ 8,648psi. Compression in old cases was about .19"......and .21" in modern brass.

I get consistent higher pressures with original semi-balloonhead cases.

20gr of IMR-4227 with a hard cast Oregon Trail Laser Cast gave me 1,357fps @ 12,238psi

Again my test equipment is the Pressuretrace II and my amateurest ways!!!