Bore size on old '73 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Bore size on old '73 SRC

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hey 6, You know a while back I was talking about my old '73 and lamenting the fact it has .431 bore. I even bought one of the Miroku Japchesters just like it thinking it would have a tight bore like the vintage Colts in 44-40 do. But that silly thing slugs .431 also. Just wondering if you've run into that phenomenon before? The old one is from 1895 and could have a lot of wear in it to explain the loose bore but the Miroku is new. So what gives?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Bore size on old '73 SRC

Post by Stevie »

.44-40 bore size....well....published specs claim .427" but that ain't true for an old Winchester. I own two early 1900's Winchester M1892's a rifle and a carbine. The rifle bore slugs .430" with a fair/decent bore. The carbine has a pretty poor bore and it slugs .431"

I do own a Rossi M92(older version) in .44-40 and it's bore measures .427" as published. I have a nos Winchester 94 .44-40 barrel I got to replace my Winchester carbine's barrel...but I have not slugged it.

From what I gather .44 magnum rifle barrels commonly measure .430" or larger too. I have a later model Rossi carbine .44 mag however I've not slugged it either.

Now lets talk published commercial bullet diameters....buy some various lead .44 bullets and mic them. Jacketed bullets too. Bullets tend to be small in .44 caliber.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya M.M.....with the original 1873's and '92's the 44-40 groove diameters are all over the place from .427-.432, with most running towards the large end. This was due mostly because of the large amount of the 44's. with tooling wearing out.....this is from what I have read. Dunno, I was not alive at the time.......now original 1894 Marlins are a different story, with the ones I have slugged are usually right on....on the tight side.....I have one late example made in the twenties that has a .425 groove diameter and I have to shoot separate ammo for this gun.....427....and that's the largest it will take.

Fast forward to modern times.......I've bought and immediately resold several new Colts, Rugers, and a Marlin due to their large groove diameters. I suspect yours is the same as to the manufacturers thinking......cheap bastards.....they use 44 magnum barrels and tooling ..............another reason is to keep pressures down. They know lots of guys will be using .429-.430 bullets designed for the 44 magnum to reload the 44-40 so I speculate the lawyers have had a hand in this too.

Yea...sucks....be thankful you have the knowledge to cast/size appropriately.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW SAAMI specs are different for .44 Mag handguns and .44 Mag rifles. Handguns are .429 while rifles are .431. I would imagine that same would be true for other .44 offerings as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.