USS Constitution, Cross-Section Ship Model

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

USS Constitution, Cross-Section Ship Model

Post by Old No7 »

Totally off topic from our leverguns...

Yet a bunch of years ago, I had posted some images of a "Half Ship Model" of the USS Constitution (click for link) and I recall that many folks here had never seen or heard about such "half ship" models of hulls before. And I posted some other examples in a reply to that too, as these models are fairly common in nautical museums or antique shops on the east coast.

I just added another type of model of the USS Constitution to my office wall, above the other one, and this one is pretty neat as it's a cross-section of the hull so you can see the below-deck details, plus one mast and some rigging is included.

USS C cross-sec 01 (Small).jpg

This was in pretty rough shape when I got it used off of ebay; the rigging was damaged, the hull was painted flat black (no "Frigate" stripe) with a red bottom and there were few details on deck. So I invested a couple of hours work in it and tightened up the rigging, added additional lengths to the mast below decks, carved the copper plates into the lower hull and then repainted it copper, enlarged the gun ports and added the white "Frigate" stripe, then added buckets (cut-down 22 shells) and brass monkeys stacked with cannon balls (#9 shot from my reloading kit) next to each cannon, and put some ballast down in the hold.

Now I think it looks pretty classy, and is a nice addition to my office.

( Click on any image to enlarge )

USS C cross-sec 02 (Small).jpg
USS C cross-sec 03 (Small).jpg
USS C cross-sec 04 (Small).jpg

Anybody else like the 'ol girl Old Ironsides?

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: USS Constitution, Cross-Section Ship Model

Post by .45colt »

Thirty years ago We went on vacation to New England and I did see the Constitution . I love the Tall Ships. If I had ever won the mega millions or Powerball for a zillion $$ I would have had a modern sailing replica built. As it is about 50 miles east in Erie Pa there is a sailing replica of the USS Niagara. no where near the size of the Constitution but cool at any rate. those models are awesome, Thanks for sharing. https://www.flagshipniagara.org/us-brig ... ara-about/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice!

Your models are nicer than mine (which you've seen in my office). :D
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Nice job on restoring that model!!!
Been on the USS Constitution several times over the years and have always felt in awe of the men who sailed her and fought on her!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I can't say it's true for sure but I have a copper hull spike and a belaying pin that are reported to be from the USS Constellation. They were given to my father as a gift by someone that worked on the restoration project of the ship many years ago. I know there's no way to prove they are authentic but it's at least a link to my father who passed in 1973.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.