Winchester 25 Questions and Opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Winchester 25 Questions and Opinions

Post by wm »

I just saw a Winchester model 25 shotgun for sale at local shop and I took a bit of shine to because of its condition (minty) and price ($175).

But I confess shotguns have not been my passion. Utility is the beginning and end of my interest …… and as a result my experience is almost exclusively limited to a couple of High Standards that came and went, & Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, and a couple of SXS guns which have served me well.

As I understand it the Winchester 25 is based on the model 12. What is the difference? What are the strengths and weaknesses associated with the 25? The one I am looking at is a 12 gauge and it will be used simply as a hunting (birds) firearm.

Any experienced shared will be appreciated.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 25 Questions and Opinions

Post by GunnyMack »

I've seen and shot a LOT of shotguns...never a 25. For that kind of money in near mint shape what's to loose?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 pm I've seen and shot a LOT of shotguns...never a 25. For that kind of money in near mint shape what's to loose?
+ 1, sounds like a steal, wasn't the 25 just a non takedown model12?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd probably have bought it first, then checked it out later.... :D

....but that's why I have more guns than money.... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:38 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 pm I've seen and shot a LOT of shotguns...never a 25. For that kind of money in near mint shape what's to loose?
+ 1, sounds like a steal, wasn't the 25 just a non takedown model12?

The Model 25 was a solid-frame Model 12 (made from 1949-54), which in turn was one of the greatest classic repeating shotguns.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

From what I have read , during the 1950's sales of the Model 12 were down probably due to the popularity of the Remington 870 the Model 25 was an attempt by Winchester to hold cost down. The Model 25 for $175.00 in mint condition is a steal. Glad I didn't see it, I don't need another shotgun right now. :D .
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I had one years ago and it shot nice but was heavy compared to the 870's that I had been using for many years. From what I remember there were not that many of them made because they didn't sell that well just like the Model 12 Featherweights of which I also owned a couple.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yeah, just a non-takedown model 12. I was raised with one in 16 gauge (my Dad's). Still have it and Father in laws, a 16 also. I have a couple more model 12s in 12 and in my opinion they are one of the great bargains available in todays gun market. Go buy that 25. You won't regret it.
By the way, a model 12,12 that holds 6 in the magazine, hangs next to my side of the bed. Just in case.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS