Smooth sleddin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Smooth sleddin'

Post by OldWin »

Got home from work this morning and hit the trail. Just a super day. Thought of you guys and snapped some pics. Rode 120 miles. Saw some deer and stopped to keep them from running. They need every ounce of energy this time of year. Snapped some of some views but it just don't do it justice. Ran the track bed along the Kennebec river to Bingham. River is froze but the swift and shallow water is open. There is some excellent rainbow trout fishing through here. Snapped one of those stupid windmills. For those that haven't seen the size, my sled is at the bottom in front of the column.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Smooth sleddin'

Post by GunnyMack »

Here I thought you were riding a trash can lid down a hill! :lol: looks like you had a great day for a ride!
Those wind mills are huge! Ya see them from the highway and they dont seem that big- its not until you are standing next to it before you realize just how tall they are! They also kill 10s of thousands of insects.... maybe they should put CO2 generators on them to attract black flies and skeeters!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Gunny. It was a great day.
Yeah, I hate those #$%&!*@ windmills. What a waste. Let alone they ruined some beautiful country.
This is a friends camp up by our property. The snow is level with the porch. That porch is between my waist and chest from the ground.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's called Clear Up snow.... clear up to yer butt!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice pics bro, 120 miles :shock: i remember the old days riding a old ten horse Ski-do we thought 20 miles was a long ways. :lol:
Looks like a fun day. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha thanks buddy! Well that old crate is a 2002. She's no spring chicken. It's a 600 liquid cooled twin. Makes about 105hp. I've had it up to 90mph a couple times.
I used to ride these trails with with my old 71 and 73 Rupps back in the day. Had an 89 Ski Doo Formula Plus before this 02 Ski Doo Grand Touring.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Nice pics and views OldWin, except for the wind turbine! And don’t get me going on the proposed CMP corridor which our newly elected governor endorses! :x Anyway, looks like you had good time. Just in time before the next storm this Sunday :D . Some of the guys last weekend took off up to camp (East Carry/Pleasant Ridge) to check things out. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go, busy with work as usual :| . Snow is averaging 4’ to 5’ deep which is a lot more than I thought. Heading into Augusta tomorrow for the Antient One’s gun show. Haven’t been to this one in many years but I’ve been told it has changed in the past 2-3 years becoming more gun oriented so I’m heading over there in the morning to have a look.

Mainehunter
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Super cool pictures Jay! Me and mom loved em......and talked..."how in the hell do those people deal with that much snow?"

105 miles......do you stop to get ⛽️ gas or do you guys eat broccoli and hard boiled eggs in the morning and just fanny burp in the fuel tank every now and then? Guess you'd have to remove your snow suit every 20 miles or so.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

MH,
Yeah, I hear you man. Don't get me started. The pic where you see the open water in the river is right across from your stomping grounds. Yup, there is a lot of snow. Luckily, it has some body down deep or it would be impossible to get through for anything.

Six,
The state is made up of interconnected trails that get you into towns where there is stops for food, fuel, hotels, snowmobile dealers, and or whatever. Everywhere is very accommodating as it generates a lot of income. Up in the "county" its crazy. You could easily just use a sled for transportation.
When I got to Bingham, I could ride right down a row of business's for gas, groceries, sled rentals, dealership, etc. I pulled up to the lot pump and topped off.
That said, for the way I returned home, there was a lot of nothing. Just woods and mountains, so you need to have some idea if your range and where you're going.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Jay.....back in my day we had to pre mix the gas for our Polaris...same way today or is it automatic mix?---6

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It got into the 50s here today. None of that white crystalline precipitation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm Thanks Jay.....back in my day we had to pre mix the gas for our Polaris...same way today or is it automatic mix?---6
All oil injected now. Yamaha sleds have been since the 70's.
Many sleds now are 4 strokes. The engine technology has upped the power and lightened them up so much they work well in a sled.
Oh yeah, ours and many others have a reverse by actually shutting off the engine and automatically restarting it running backwards. This saves weight by not needing any gears or larger chaincase.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Very nice pix, thanks for sharing!

That snow-load on the camp looks pretty heavy -- maybe we need a Mid-winter Maine Levergunners Get-Together to shovel off the roof while the camp heats up, and then we'll cook up some steaks & fixins, accompanied by your favorite adult beverage, of course!

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 pm Nice pics and views OldWin, except for the wind turbine!
I agree, I'm not a "fan" (pun intended) of those either.

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 pm And don’t get me going on the proposed CMP corridor which our newly elected governor endorses!
And don't get me going on her...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Now there's a plan No.7!😁
Yeah, I hear you. All that stuff grinds my gears too!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

A REVERSE!!!!! Wow!......I am antiquated on "sled talk"....pelosi, we'd get stuck, jump off, lift it up and swing it around.....now they have a reverse...and automatic injection! Geeze.....next thing you know they will make a mini refrigerator out of the little compartment in the back where we use to stash our beer and bottles....and joints.---6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Another beautiful day. Went for another ride, and this time the wife came along. We had a great time. Gotta have some fun, it's winter for a long time. :D
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Hey OldWin! My business partner belongs to the Dexter antique snowmobile club. My favorite, the twin track Caribou! They usually have club runs during this time of year. When Dexter has their annual ice fishing tournament they are out and about.

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, I got a buddy that restores and runs old sleds.
Kinda wish I'd kept mine. Be cool to have now, but I can only keep and store so much, haha.