Lever action .410s???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Lever action .410s???

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I'd like to know if any of you have a lever action repeating .410 (not an Ithaca single shot) and what you think of it. I recently handled a Henry with the long shotgun-style barrel and sights. It wasn't cheap (but I am) and I wondered why someone would buy one (although I love both .410s and leverguns).

If you have one, Winchester, Marlin, or Henry, what do you do with it? How does it shoot (smooth repeat action? birdshot? buckshot? slugs?)!

I do notice that the ASKING prices for Winchester and Marlin LA .410s have gone up dramatically since they were discontinued.

Just curious. (And kinda interested in one....).

Mike Armstrong
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Lever action .410s???

Post by gamekeeper »

Good question, I've never had one but they're very tempting... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:02 am
I'd like to know if any of you have a lever action repeating .410 (not an Ithaca single shot) and what you think of it.

If you have one, Winchester, Marlin, or Henry, what do you do with it ?

Just curious. (And kinda interested in one....).

Mike Armstrong

Besides Winchester/Marlin/Henry, there's Rossi, Bulwark, Adler & Larsen-Winteross lever-action shotguns:

Color me...….. an ENABLER…………….... :mrgreen:

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and the kessler also
cable
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ve had the winchester 9410 and currently have the Henry 410 lever carbine and have to say I prefer the Henry better as it feels more solid.The winchester 9410 I had was the traditional model with the longer barrel ,straight stock,removable chokes and the tang safety and it cycled rounds with out a hitch(there was a magnet in the breech bolt I believe that helped cycle the rounds and you couldn t shoot federal shells in it' as they didn t have a steel head.The earlier 9410s had cycling problems and this was their fix).It was a good gun and it never gave me any problems and I killed a few rabbits with it, I sold it off as I was offered big money for it as they were rare at the time and I got almost triple what I paid for it.
A couple of years later Henry came out with their version and found a new carbine model that was offered for sale with an extra tube for the mag that gave the gun a 3shot capacity (The Winchester version came with a plug)Originally I would have preferred the longer barreled version as it also comes with chokes but the carbine I got which was basically brand new was less than half of the cost of a new one and a spare tube.I mainly use it for rabbit hunting and as the brush is thick the shots offered are under 20yards so the carbine is ok for this type of hunting ,but if I had my druthers I would still prefer the longer barreled version.
The Henry loads from the tube like all Henry's but it differs in that there is no half cock safety, it has a transfer bar system instead.It is a nice solid feeling gun that cycles shells very slickly even better than the Winchester version.One problem I did find with mine was it wouldn t cycle remington shells,as it seems that the overall length of the remington shells are just a wee bit long enough to hang up and cause cycling problems.All the other shells I ve tried worked like a dream.
These are niche guns that are fun to shoot and I think in my opinion are at their best for hunting rabbits
Last edited by barbarossa on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I forgot to say the the Henry carbine version has a front and rear sights and cyclinder choke and the longer version has a bead sight up front and no rear sight
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My original Marlin 410 lever action built in the very early 1930's is a wonderful gun! A real .410 shotgun lightweight barrel that allows the gun to swing beautifully and handle as good as any pump .410 ever made. I've even taken it to our gun club to shoot trap with it just for fun, and it did very well.
But the newer Marlin .410 version is more of a rifle with a .410 bore, and clunky and heavy compared to the old original. Same for most of the other maker's .410 lever actions I've seen. They are all more like rifles in .410 than lever action .410 shotguns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have the newer Marlin and I mainly have used it for skeet!! Have been thinking of using it for a truck gun when I travel, using buckshot.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

I have a 410 LG. I just posted about it in the who likes 410s thread.

BB
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

My dad had a Winchester .410 lever and I really loved to shoot that thing. I have always wanted one but just haven't forked out the money they want for them. Anything .410 is expensive.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought one of the recent manufacture Marlin 410's when they first came out brand new . I sat in the safe for a year or two before I ever shot it . Took it out unslicked up and shot two rounds of skeet . This gonna sound boastfull but I honestly didn't miss any singles or first shot on doubles in either round , But I did miss a couple second shots on doubles . Of the misses two times I couldn't get the lever to work quick enough , I missed either 3 or 4 second shots on the doubles for a 46 or 47 out of 50 . I thought that wasn't bad for a gun I'd never shot before etc etc .

After that I cleaned the gun put it back in the safe and sold it a year or so later .

I wish before I got out of collecting marlin's I had gotten one of the Marlin 410 levers that was built in the 1920's on the 1893 action .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought a JM Marlin XLR 410 when they were introduced. It was incredibly heavy, maybe part of it was the stainless/laminate version?
I patterned it with 7 1/2, 8 and 9 shot in several manufacturers product. I used a life size squirrel paper target. I found that with any shot size and any manufacturer I could place no more than 3 pellets on the squirrel at farther than 15 yards. 20 yards, generally yielded 1 pellet and 25 yards a prayer.
With slugs it shot 4 inch groups at 35 yards. Remember this one had rifle sights on it.
After the testing, I was torn between having it fitted with Briley choke tubes or sending it to Doug Turnbull to have it set up in .50 Alaskan.
I ended up taking option 3 and selling it for several times the price I bought it for.
My friend has a Winchester Packer version with choke tubes and it shoots and carries great.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now we know what you been savin' up all that book-sellin' money for....!

Never had a levergun in 410, though it always sounded 'fun'. Not sure about the 'practical' part though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Now we know what you been savin' up all that book-sellin' money for....!

Never had a levergun in 410, though it always sounded 'fun'. Not sure about the 'practical' part though.
What the ......... does practical have to do with ANY gun purchase !!!! From a “practical “ standpoint guns ARE a luxury .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:36 am
I patterned it with 7 1/2, 8 and 9 shot in several manufacturers product. I used a life size squirrel paper target. I found that with any shot size and any manufacturer I could place no more than 3 pellets on the squirrel at farther than 15 yards. 20 yards, generally yielded 1 pellet and 25 yards a prayer.
With slugs it shot 4 inch groups at 35 yards. Remember this one had rifle sights on it.
I have no earthly idea how the one I had patterned . I do however know it was relatively easy to break skeet targets with it . Of all the 410’s I’ve owned I NEVER worried about patterns . In the skeet game one dimensional patterns of the 410 will play mind games with most relatively new shooters . Now I realize we’re talking about s gun that’s not a tournament skeet gun , none the less I had no issue with the one I had other then the lever needing to be slicked up but then what would one expect from a brand new gun .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a few of them, 9410, Rossi Rio Grande and one of the more recent Marlins. They all functioned perfectly, the Winchester was my favorite of the three. It was smoothest and really did a number on the red squirrel population. The only thing I didn't like about all three of them was they were kind of difficult to load, especially the Rossi. The edges around the loading gate were so sharp that it would take the plastic of the sides of the shells. I like the idea of the tube loading Henry and will pick one up eventually. Haven't had a Henry yet, but would like to try one. I've been shooting .410s since I was a kid and enjoy all the different loads that are available now.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Always wanted one, still do not know why. But I still intend to have it.

FP
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I shoot skeet and have hunted quail and pheasants with my Marlin .410 lever. I personally love mine, so I bought a couple extra to hand down to the kids someday. I have two of the blue/walnut and one each of the stainless/laminate in black and brown. Pretty cool guns and lots of fun, but truly not practical.

Good shooting!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I know Adler does a lever 410 as well. There are a lot of lever shotguns from turkish manufacturers these days. Adler, Uzkon, pardus etc. Not sure what is going on in turkey but they love their lever guage guns.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

oops pete already mentioned adler
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was never real good with a shotgun, but hunting cottontail out in the pastures near my home town was fun. My oldest brother had a H&R single shot that he used for rabbits. At close range he was fast with it.

I am curious about the Rossi with the cylinder and lever. It looks as if it would be handy in the brush and the tumbleweed choked fence rows.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost