.458 SOCOM Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

.458 SOCOM Lever

Post by Paladin »

Anyone try one of these?
458-SOCOM-Lever-Action-Rifle-by-Bishop-Ammunition-Firearms-1.jpg
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/20 ... ewsletter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .458 SOCOM Lever

Post by GunnyMack »

That's interesting! If I had need for a big bore I'd think about one. I guess the price tag is covering a new gun as well. Wonder if they price differently with a donor gun?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So, $3000.00, oops excuse me $2999.99, for a rifle that will do almost as much as the 45-70. Hmmm, me thinks not!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

They only came out at SHOT this year. They had a few announcements through various Facebook groups. The only advantage I can honestly see would be capacity.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If I do get a .458 SOCOM, it would be in an ugly black rifle. My Marlin in .45-70 is quite good for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My son has a .458 Socom and It is a good way to get .45-70 performance on the AR15 chassis. But, ,,, :?:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I love all these boutique outfits going for levers but dang......at least make them affordable
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My first cell phone cost $800 and was the size of a two-slice toaster, had no video screen, and no memory.

So maybe if the concept took off, these lever guns would cost a lot less down the road.

I'm not quite convinced though, because other than a different chamber reamer and some adjustments to the carrier and so forth for proper feeding, there wasn't really any new technology involved.

However it doesn't really bother me, because I think this type of gun is targeted for a different market than those of us on this forum, and I'm glad to expand the number of markets lever guns can penetrate.

As for me, I have a 500 Smith & Wesson lever action that was embarrassingly expensive (...but really, really cool.... :mrgreen: ) and a 50 Beowulf, that is essentially the same cartridge in an AR-15, so I'm really not in the market for anything new. If I would have been 'practical' I would probably have just stuck with the 444 Marlin and 12 gauge shotgun for those needs.... :) ....but what fun is there in 'practical'...?

Ever since I told my wife I thought I had seen cape buffalo tracks back behind the pond, and I would really feel more comfortable with a 375 Ruger than just a 444 Marlin for protection when out mushroom-hunting, my descent down the Path of Sin and Excess was begun, and there's been no turning back... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Well Doc, since you have such a good start with lever guns, just use them for dangerous game and forget the bolt actions. If these of mine can do it, so can yours!
M1895 .405 WCF (Asian water buff, Cape buff, plus many exotics in the USA.)+ maybe a bison in three weeks.
1886 45-90 (multiple Cape buff, leopard, elephant, bison, lots of exotics, deer, etc)

Plus there are some even larger caliber levers if you are up to it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 pm Ever since I told my wife I thought I had seen cape buffalo tracks back behind the pond, and I would really feel more comfortable with a 375 Ruger than just a 444 Marlin for protection when out mushroom-hunting, my descent down the Path of Sin and Excess was begun, and there's been no turning back[/i]... :lol:
Just what type of mushrooms have you been hunting? And can I have some? It's been years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:02 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 pm Ever since I told my wife I thought I had seen cape buffalo tracks back behind the pond, and I would really feel more comfortable with a 375 Ruger than just a 444 Marlin for protection when out mushroom-hunting, my descent down the Path of Sin and Excess was begun, and there's been no turning back[/i]... :lol:
Just what type of mushrooms have you been hunting? And can I have some? It's been years.
I'd guess the 375 with solids does less damage to the mushrooms? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!