Who likes the .410 shotgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Who likes the .410 shotgun?

Post by EdinCT »

A few weeks back I attended a Whitetail unlimited banquet and was drawn to win a prize. Well my ticket was about 4th to be drawn and out of the original selection there was a 12 ga semi riot gun and a .410 pump left. I choose the .410 and have been enjoying it pretty well. I shot a box of 3" Federal 7 1/2s I got from Walmart for 10.00 at clays launched by my Trius foot trap and hit very well with it. I think with #8 shot backed up with 7 1/2's it will be a fun early season woodcock gun in thick cover. I also know it will work for rabbits and squirrels with 6's because I watched my childhood buddy load the game bag will a Springfield single shot. I have to say that the screw in chokes are much better than the fixed full of my buddy's single. With the modified it throws a nice 25 yard pattern with 6's and 7 1/2's. I noticed the full that came with it was really small at .374 ID and rough so I reamed it to about .394 and ordered a Beretta imp mod which is threaded the same. Below is a similar shotgun shown. Its not bad for the price I paid. :D
So does anyone use a .410 for small game/fun.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/940549013/N ... Finish.htm
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who likes the .410 shotgun?

Post by .45colt »

Without filling the page , I can say I have been a fan of the .410 for 55 years. used in the realm of what it is it is a very fun effective shotgun. just have to re-member to match it to the situation . it's no goose gun for sure, but for rabbits, squirrels , hand trap or skeet it can be a blast. Gunny will chime in as I'm pretty sure He uses one on preserve pheasants. Enjoy. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They always seemed like a true hunter's gun (for small game at least).

I had a 410 Contender pistol that could also shoot 45 Colt (not very well though - too much bullet-jump), but never really hunted with it.

My mom used a single-shot 410 breakopeq to keep a guy who had just busted out her picture window in the living room and was trying to climb through.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes sir the 410 is much more effective than people think.
I find open chokes are better, the long shot column and tight chokes cause flyers .
I do use my 410 CZ with IC & M fixed chokes for preserve birds. I use 7&1/2s, 6s and sometimes 4s.(although I really prefer my 28)

410 slugs are quite effective as well. 2&1/2" factory slugs are available and Ballistic Products has load data and 2 types of slugs plus load data. I got both their Thug slug and light game slug, a wad/carrier for a single piece of 00. They claim 2000fps ! Haven't loaded any yet, this spring I'll try them out.
And yes it can kill beyond its means, #2 lead took some geese years ago, 5s for ducks before nontoxic.
Oh and I loaded some Hevishot 6s- just magic on birds!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love the .410 . If the cost of ammo was less I believe it would be much more popular.
When I was a kid , my cousin hunted with a .410 . He shot 3” shells in a 2 3/4” chamber. He pounded them in with the palm of his hand and had to fire it before he could ge the shell back out. If he didn’t shoot it he broke the gun down to travel to the next place to hunt.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I turned my old Mossy 500 .410 into “The Perfect Jeep Gun”. I guess you could say I like.410’s.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I was in my teens and didn't have a proper shotgun, just a single shot 12 ga H&R, I went to a skeet range and used a range gun, a 101 in .410....I really liked it and hit pretty good with it.
I don't shoot my 12s anymore...shoulder hurts too much.
I have an H&R single shot .410, and I hit hand-thrown birds real good with it. If I start hunting again, it'll be great for grouse.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The lowly 410 (called a 36 down south) has probably accounted for more Brazilian game than all other gauges/calibers combined. It was THE shotgun one came across most often hanging in settler's shacks. A couple years ago I picked one up while up north. Just wish I could have it here with me. Finally got to shoot it last fall, although didn't get a chance at game with it. They are indeed fun little poppers. My current one (up in the cache) is a Boito singleshot.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My grandson learned to shoot shotguns with a single shot .410. He has taken 3 wild turkey gobblers with his. :shock:
He then moved up to a family Weatherby Orion 20 ga O/U and became a good shot with it, killing more wild turkeys and a lot of clay pigeons .
He has outgrown the 20 and graduated to a Weatherby Orion O/U 12 ga - you guessed it, more dead turkeys!
Plus some quail and pheasant. Here he is figuring how to retrieve his turkey from the prickly pear patch.

PS The same .410 was used to train my son and daughter to shoot.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It seems I've always had one .410 or another over the years.

First were a few different Savage 24's O/U, a similar Stevens 22-410, a Stevens 311 SxS, a Remington 11-48, a Remington 1100, a couple of Bay State break-open single shots, a Browning Model 42, and now a Chiappa Double Badger.

All of them were lightweight wands that were (are) perfect for woods-roaming & taking targets of opportunity (usually small game).

Heck, I even turned down an 8mm Mauser milsurp barrel with the old .318" bore, to slide inside a break-open .410, that made a nice little .32 S&W Long Rook Rifle. :mrgreen:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A patient gave a Marlin lever action made in the early 30s. Very nice condition. Have not shot it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have just bought another .410, an INVESTARM folding O/U the only downside is it has a single trigger. I have used .410s since I was 13 years old and love 'em, even have a .410 gaugemate for my 16 gauge. I too prefer more open chokes, full choke can be very unforgiving but my old Cooey single shot does occasionally drop wood pigeons dead in the air if I do my bit.
When I was a full time gamekeeper (long time ago) a single shot .410 was my trapping gun, killed a lot of foxes and badgers with it, mostly in snares but if I called them in to about 20 yards they didn't seem to notice that I wasn't using my 12 gauge.
Having good results recently with Eley 3" magnum English number 5s, I only bought them because I couldn't get my usual 7s but they seem very effective.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the henry 410 lever carbines and a springfield m6 scouts in 22/410 and both make great little rabbit guns
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

great thread here! Another fan weighing in, not as much experience as some above but about 30 years use anyway. I don't bird with them but they are common farm guns where I am. A 410 is light enough for anyone to handle, easy fo snakes and pests. I also use them for dispatching trapped hogs, even birdshot will spilt a hogs skull point blank. We also used them for headshooting sharks we pulled in. Also an old single 410 worth less than a few packets of 12ga ammo you can bang it about, leave it in the boat, drop them overboard without getting upset. For self defence the federal 5x 000 buck load is no slouch, that payload is 70% of standard 12ga.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have a 410 double Stevens that I have limited out on rabbits with a few times. I also have the single shot that the family all started hunting with. Reloading will save money.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I do......my first gun!!!
J Stevens, tube fed; bolt action repeater. I purchased it from a classmate in the 8th grade, for $12.00. I was told it spent most of its life on his Granddad's tractor. The stock was cracked (still is), and otherwise in good repair...with no corrosion and a shiny bore. My first Pheasant, and several rabbits fell to that old gun.

A few years ago my daughter and family moved to an acreage in rural Texas...and along with a few boxes of shells, I passed it on to her and the SIL. I'm told it lives a quiet life there in Texas.....as they dispatch the reptiles there with a rake.

:wink:
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

A. 410 Snake Charmer was always in one of my boats when I lived in Louisiana. Worked well on sharks caught out in the gulf, and water snakes when in the Geenoe while in the bayou. Had some slugs also for 2 legged critters. Son has it now, and it's presence to convinced a large drunk ner-do-well that he wasn't going to take him boat riding at a remote boat ramp in western MN.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I guess if we would all buy more .410 the price would come down, but I don't know how we jump to that.

Like so many I started with one. A Stevens magazine fed bolt action that my Dad got from someone at work. He wasn't all that interested in guns but he thought a rusty, beat up project might be just the thing for a gun crazy 12 year old. It took me from mid October until just before Christmas to sand down and refinish both the stock and metal learning about cold bluing and stock finish along the way. Shells were $4+/box so as soon as I could handle the 12 ga SS his friend gave Dad so he could take me hunting the .410 got left at home. 12 Ga. was just under $2. Don't remember what happened to the little Stevens but it would be 25 years more or less before I owned another .410.

Still ridiculous priced, but I shoot my M6 Hornet/.410 and Contender as often as I can afford. The M6 is my preferred woods walking gun if I'm not carrying my .32 muzzle loader.

Post by Marvin S »

My favorite is an old Iver Johnson tool and cycle single shot. I also have the little CZ sxs. Does anyone know if someone is making a copy of the Lee loading kit in .410 bore?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Its like the 30/30, 38 Special and 22 magnum its only used by real people that know what they are doing. I like it alot! I just pick up a Super 16" Contender in 45/410 vent rib barrel. I'm extremely happy with it. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a bunch of .410s and still have my first one, a Sears single shot bolt action that I couldn't hit anything with when I was 10. My dad gave my his Model 12, 20 gage the following year and the rabbits were done after that.
The .410 is still one of my favorites to shoot.
I have two converted Enfield No. I shingle shots, the Old Sears ( Marlin) and my mom's Mossberg 500 in .410 that's really does a number on the Red Squirrels.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It seems to me that in the US only two sizes of .410 cartridges exist the 2 1/2" and 3", in the UK we also have a 2" shell with 9 gms of shot. It is a useful little cartridge for rats etc in or near buildings, I use them when I run out of hard to get 9mm Flobert shells.
Not a lot of noise and zero kick but did once kill a young fox that came in too close when I took GKjr aged 4 rabbiting for the first time. One of the reasons I love .410s is the range of factory cartridges, #9 to slugs, good for mice to small deer all in a lightweight package. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hard to argue with your thinking, Gamekeeper. There used to be a lovely U.K.-based Web site devoted to the .410. I'll look for it.
Jason, I had one of the SMLEs converted to .410 as well. Shot loads in .444 Marlin cases worked nicely in it.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I almost forgot about my Hi- Standard Flight King pump 410 skeet gun! 3" 5s were fantastic on the little duck pond on my buddies farm . Shot quite a few mallards & black ducks with it. It also was a favorite cat gun with slugs!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

do they make double barrel side by side in 410?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes. The cheapest come from Brazil, but CZ imports some nice ones from Turkey.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My CZ SxS has 28" barrels, 4 &3/4 lbs HAD 10 lbs trigger pulls! I scattered it out and deburred the receiver where the triggers were dragging and cut the pulls in half. Still a little heavy but with heavy gloves I'll keep 5 lbs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm Yes. The cheapest come from Brazil, but CZ imports some nice ones from Turkey.
Hey Bill, you ever watch iraqveteran8888 try to blow up one of those cheap brazil 410 shotgun? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd, no, but I'll look for it. I like Iraqveteran's Youtubes.
Gunny, yes, some of those Huglu-built CZs do need trigger attention. I wonder if the QC has improved since I owned a Bobwhite several years ago.
Here's that great .410 site from the U.K.

http://www.fourten.org.uk/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rossim92 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 pm do they make double barrel side by side in 410?
There was also Ithaca, Savage/Stevens, & L.C.Smith/Hunter/Fulton .410 SxS' (Stevens also made the Model 240 O/U .410 double.)

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Well, I guess you guys about said it all on .410s and I don't disagree with any of this. Thinking about it, I think I don't NEED a lever action .410 (actually my T-C G2 carbine w/its custom 26" .410 barrel IS a lever action!). But what's NEED got to do with it for most of us? (Terry Wieland's article on Rock Island Armory's auctions in the latest "Gray's Sporting Journal"-- which is supposed to be the Fly Fishing Edition--deals with this issue very intelligently).

I NEEDED the first gun I ever bought, a Winchester Model 37 .410 single shot in 1951--it was our main ranch gun for years, along with my Mom's bedside S&W .38 "Lemon Squeezer" and a Win '92 SRC in .25-20. I still have it, and if I needed to get rid of the rest (PERISH the thought!), I would still need that one. They are surprisingly useful, as y'all point out.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep shot my first pheasant in Iowa at about a hundred yards with the right barrel with a four hundred and ten.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Pitchy that is a beautiful SXS I had a Stevens 311 20ga when I was young that I sure wish I'd kept! I did find out what a .410 will not do and that is kill a coyote at 35 yards with #6 copper coated shot. I took this pump out to the orchard hoping to see a rabbit or two and mister coyote ran by me. He jumped about 5 feet and really picked up speed at the shot. I really need to get serious with the coyotes.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 pm A patient gave a Marlin lever action made in the early 30s. Very nice condition. Have not shot it.
that is my favorite ! have shot a lot of grouse and ptarmigan with it - and nasty little squirrels too

well balanced , fast handling little gun
cable
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

EdinCT wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm Pitchy that is a beautiful SXS I had a Stevens 311 20ga when I was young that I sure wish I'd kept! I did find out what a .410 will not do and that is kill a coyote at 35 yards with #6 copper coated shot. I took this pump out to the orchard hoping to see a rabbit or two and mister coyote ran by me. He jumped about 5 feet and really picked up speed at the shot. I really need to get serious with the coyotes.
You killed it, just not right there!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve taken a few coyotes with “The Perfect Jeep Gun”. A were with slugs. Didn’t go very far. One was DRT. One of the shotguns advantages is tailoring the load to the target.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

EdinCT wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm Pitchy that is a beautiful SXS I had a Stevens 311 20ga when I was young that I sure wish I'd kept! I did find out what a .410 will not do and that is kill a coyote at 35 yards with #6 copper coated shot. I took this pump out to the orchard hoping to see a rabbit or two and mister coyote ran by me. He jumped about 5 feet and really picked up speed at the shot. I really need to get serious with the coyotes.
Thanks i bought it when i was eight or ten years old for 35 bucks, it`s tight as new. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 pm Yep shot my first pheasant in Iowa at about a hundred yards with the right barrel with a four hundred and ten.

I better say something about what i said or you guys are going to think i was lying, i was just a kid the pheasant flew straight away from me and i let it go a long ways before i shot.
It may have only been 50 yards who knows, seemed like a long ways at the time.
It was the first and only one i`ve ever shot.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Refinished a 1958 Stevens 94c for the wife last month. She loves loves loves .410 and .22lr, pretty much won’t shoot anything else. Except an old beater no name 16g Featherweight clone (actually mine) that she swapped me a humpback Remington 20g (her grandfather’s) for. There is also an H&R Handi-gun snake pistol floating around here somewhere, needs the grip worked on.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 am
Pitchy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 pm Yep shot my first pheasant in Iowa at about a hundred yards with the right barrel with a four hundred and ten.

I better say something about what i said or you guys are going to think i was lying, i was just a kid the pheasant flew straight away from me and i let it go a long ways before i shot.
It may have only been 50 yards who knows, seemed like a long ways at the time.
It was the first and only one i`ve ever shot.
Lenn,
The .410 can pull off some amazing shots sometimes, the winter of 62 I was shooting wood pigeons that were stripping all the brussel sprouts due to deep snow and freezing conditions, a friend asked me how far a .410 would kill, I told him about 30 or so yards, he pointed out a pigeon about 60+ yds out and said see if you can hit it, well it was decimating the sprouts so I fired my little .410 more to scare it off than anything and it dropped dead right there, that was a 2 1/2" #6 through a full choke. Lucky shot but one I will always remember.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There's not much more fun to be had with a shotgun than what can be had with a .410 pump shotgun. Or even a good .410 over/under, side by side, or semiauto. The .410 is fantastic on small game or small upland game birds. Minimal damage, and very quick pointing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I have a Savage Model 220 single shot, which I feel is a great single shot platform, very well made too. It has been in the family for over 60 years and the family story is my grandfather won it in a poker game back when. Have no idea if that is true, but sounds good anyway. I'd post a pic if I knew how.

I have to admit that the neatest little 410 I think I've ever handled is a Winchester Model 42. It's basically a mini Model 12, only 410 bore.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

EdinCT wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm

I had a Stevens 311 20ga when I was young that I sure wish I'd kept !

Ed, please check your PM's. :)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve had a few 410’s over the years .?my fav was the Krieghoff K-32 I used to have with the Kolar 410 tubes in the 12 gauge barrels , that thing would grind skeet targets and do pretty darn well on dove . Had a Remington 3200 skeet with Purbaugh tubes for the 410 and a Citori skeet four barrel set . Once upon a time I had a pretty decent Winchester pre 64 model 37 in 410 as well as a recent Manufacture Marlin 410 lever . But at the moment I have Four 410’s , an Iver Johnson Hercules SxS 410 that I shoot very well , a circa 1970 Belgium Browning Superposed skeet 410 that I shoot okay , a Crescent Arms SxS 410 and a Belgium O/U 410 pre war gun that I don’t know who made . If I get another 410 I’d like a Parker VH/VHE with 26” barrels , double triggers and a splinter forend ! But I doubt I ever get an original Parker 410 , the decent ones start at about 20G’s and it seems the sky’s the limit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

I have 2 functional 410s and another on the disabled list (60 yro 22/410 with a broken selector). I recently have switched to 410s for hunting because of medical issues that can be made worse with big recoil.

My favorite 410 is a Glenfield 30a that i had JES rebore to 410. Barrel is fully rifled, 1:22 twist 5 groove and will group 3 shots into 1.5" @ 100 yds with cast 260g WFNPB boolits. MV is 1,700 fps. My hand loads are significantly hotter than SAAMI specs for a 410. This is now my primary deer gun. FWIW, you can convert an old marlin or glenfield 30-30 LG to 410 for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a marlin or win 410 LG

My squirrel 410 is a 30 yro 500E with fixed full choke. I shoot 3" 5/8 oz loads of #6 chilled lead. I also plan to use it for turkey this spring. Maximum range on a Tom would be 25 yards.

BB
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire bikerbeans......... :D

It's been nice to hear such positive comments on the .410, no armchair hunters calling it a toy.... :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you want to reload .410s on the cheap follow Paco's page where he is selling the .22 tool. he also is making a Lee Loader type tool in .410 and 28 Ga. If you do some digging on the net you'll also find pages where people are blowing out .303 Enfield brass to load in .410s. I also saw someone that was using 9.3X63 brass that came out to being close t a 3" hull.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I was never a fan of the .410, simply because of the price of the shells.
My cousins all had them, while I had an ancient-handed down for generations- 16 ga. I could buy twice and many shells as they could. And our most common targets were cottonmouths, and I sure liked to pound them into the ground.

I have been tempted over the years to get one, maybe a lever action. But the price of the ammo always makes me pause. I don't currently reload shotshells.
I did try a judge a while back. Either the Judge or the Fiocci ammo would not let it extract after firing more than two. The brass swelled up too much.

My first less-than-100 years-old-gun was a Springfield 511 SxS 20 Gauge (A Savage 311 with cheaper wood) that my dad bought me at the Gibson's Discount store in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
He and I were squirrel hunting in Texas a few years later, without dogs. I was probably 13. I saw a squirrel run out an oak tree limb about 50 or 60 yards away and instinctively raised to shoot. My dad was trying to stop me, saying it was too far, but the wheels were already in motion and BOOM, down came the squirrel. My dad said, "Huh...."
The squirrel had one single hole right in the temple :lol:
I didn't realize until years later how lucky that shot was. The barrels of that gun cross over at 25 or 30 yards! I think I only ever hit one dove with it. :oops:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Over the years I have had several good .410 shotguns. Both of my sons first gun was a .22/.410 combo gun.

I have had double barrel, over and under, pump and crack barrel .410 shotguns. Some I still have and use regularly. Some I wish I still had. They are fun to shoot.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I learned shotgunning on my old Mossy 500 .410. It makes one concentrate and really learn how to shoot a shotgun. When I moved to a 12 it just seemed too easy. For about most of my shotgun needs I use a 20. But for the rest I still use a .410. I own 12's, 16's and even a 28 but for some reason I tend to use the 20 and .410 most.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"