Picked up a Grail Gun, Long Time Coming

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Picked up a Grail Gun, Long Time Coming

Post by David LaPell »

I have always wanted a Winchester 71 and over the years and either they happened to show up when I had no money or when the timing wasn't right. Lately the local gun shop had a hoard of them come in, two original Winchester 71 Deluxe Long tang rifles in near mint condition and three Browning 71's all new in the box, all owned by one guy. He is in his 70's and doesn't hunt or shoot anymore, the Model 71's Winchesters were his but he never did much with them. He bought the Browning 71's for each of his three sons but none of his kids wanted them so they all stayed in the boxes except for cleaning occasionally. I found the last Browning, this one a short rifle (carbine to some) still in the box for $925. I did some serious horse trading but ended up with the gun, and I do plan on using it. Another local gun shop had three boxes of Winchester factory ammo on the shelf so I snagged them all and I plan on getting dies and looking into bullets and maybe a mold to get back into casting my own again.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up a Grail Gun, Long Time Coming

Post by FWiedner »

Wow!

Very nice.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice find....always nice when you finally get something you've wanted for years. 8)

"He bought the Browning 71's for each of his three sons but none of his kids wanted them so they all stayed in the boxes except for cleaning occasionally."

That would suck to have three kids and none of them shared your interests... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It's a good job the seller had stupid kids... :D Congratulations..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you! There is something about scoring one you have been wanting for a long time.
This was mine. It don't look like much, but I never thought I'd get a 73src in 38wcf. Let alone that was mechanically perfect with a shiny bore. Had it many years now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice congrats and Jay nice one. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice find on an excellent rifle. Enjoy!

And post range report.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Nice find. I have on occasion been able to find a grail gun and it will make you smile every time you look at it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nice !! I did the same thing last month , My Grail Gun was a Browning Auto-5 only took Me 55 years to get one. :D .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That is one fine gun, go out & shoot the heck out of it!

Brad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

About 10 years ago I dropped into a local gun store on my way home and saw a very minty Winchester 71 for sale for $1,000. It was a very late gun from the last couple years of production, and not being a Winchester guy, and not having interest in "newer" guns; I passed on it. I told a friend about it, and he rushed down and bought it quickly. Then he turned around and put it on an auction site and sold it for $3500.
It was one of those "duh" moments when I told myself, "Why didn't I just do that?"
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/