Marlin 1894 versus Winchester 1892

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 versus Winchester 1892

Post by David LaPell »

I have been trying to decide which rifle I want to pick up in .32-20, a Marlin 1894 or Winchester 1892. I have had the 1892 before and a couple of newer 1894CL rifles from the late 1980's, but never an early 1894. Both guns are around the same time period, the late 1910's-1920's. Which of the two tends to be stronger? I know the 1892 is strong and the action slick, but the 1894 has a good reputation as well.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin 1894 versus Winchester 1892

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I have always been a Winchester fan, but in this case I think it's comparing apples to apples. Both are excellent rifles, I have had .32WCF's in a Winchester 1892, 1873, and an old Marlin 1894. I loved all of them, all were accurate. Only one I still have is the 1892.... But it was a case of "eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe"!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good evening
Only solution I know is get one of each and enjoy them both. After 30 years then you can decide which you like the best.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Any older gun of either type will probably be smooth, and strong enough for vintage loads. If you're looking for a 'modern load' gun, then later manufactured, stronger-steel ones would be needed.

I like the Marlin's lack of tiny parts, and fewer parts, than the Winchester, but it really hasn't ever made a real difference to me. Suppose it could if in a life-and-death situation out afield and a small part got dropped and lost, or broke and I had to make one out of an old camp-fork or something, but if so then I guess I'm just screwed.... :D

32-20 brass is a bit delicate, so perhaps the Marlin would fling it less far and less likely to get stepped on, but that's really splitting hairs.

Probably if barrel wear and overall condition were similar, I'd just go by 'gut feeling' if I could handle both, and whichever one 'spoke to me' would be the one.

Maybe go by whichever one has better sights, unless you plan to upgrade those.

Bottom line - it's one of those 'win-win' choices - neither is likely to disappoint, especially if you're a 32-20 fan.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Price and condition should be your guide.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello David,

I only collect Winchester so I can give a comparison opinion. I own 40 Model 1892's in all calibers and they are very fine rifles. The "modern Loads" are no problem to shoot in these vintage rifles since they are loaded to the exact original pressure and velocity characteristics as the original ammo. BEFORE you purchase a Winchester I will be happy to advise and comment on originality and possible value. I have more than 12,500 of these rifles in my research data base.

Good luck
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's funny you mentioned the 1894 Marlin as today, while practicing today for our long range high power silhouette match tomorrow, I brought along a Marlin 1894 in 44-40 for fun in between strings with the 22-250 and letting the barrel cool. I ripped out a hundred rounds out of this today....tightest groove diameter on a 44-40 I've ever had...425....I shoot .427 sized bullets and this rifle will stay in 2" at 100 meters..easily.

I'm a Winchester guy having most all models in most common calibers but also have a smattering of most Marlins also. Like Doc said, Marlins are much simpler and comparing the different models against each other...1893 M. vs 1894 W. ...1892 W. vs. 1894 M ...1886 W. vs 1881 M and so on, there's not a lot of difference in shooting accuracy. Both brands show excellent workmanship up until around WW1 and then both brands start to drop steadily until around the sixties and then both brands turned to junk, with Winchester turning junky sooner than Marlin.

It's a personal preference. Both are quality....Marlins can usually be had a tad cheaper but not much anymore. One thing about Marlin...their chambers have longer bodies on them and resizing the fired cases take more of a beating than Winchester chambers ...even up to and including the CL models. ----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Most of my few rifles and shotguns are Winchesters, but I have shot a Marlin .357 and it was OK. Not as slick action wise as my 100+ year old Winchester 1892 .357 tho.

This is my Pig Pak- dual .357 Magnums:

They just keep on doing the job. In close or far out.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Buy'em both.

:D

Wm
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Both the 1892 Winchester and the 1894 Marlin are plenty strong for the calibers they were offered in. There's nothing I've ever seen reported about either gun that would indicate a weakness. I will say that the 1894 Marlin is about as simple an action as any levergun ever made. With a screwdriver you can quickly disassemble it right at the range in a couple minutes, (if you needed to) and reassemble just as quickly. The Hepburn design is a huge advancement over the earlier 1888 Marlin that was more complicated.
Either gun would be a great choice, and in a vintage original they both are pretty equally priced. I'd go with whichever you found to be in the nest condition, and best priced.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/