Shark vs Buck knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Shark vs Buck knife

Post by t.r. »

Bonnet head sharks are fairly easy to catch this time of year using shrimp as bait. We catch them from a public pier at Bradenton, Florida in the Gulf of Mexico. They are great fighters and having a ball catching them. The fillets are quite tasty. But it takes a sturdy and sharp knife to remove the fillets since sharkskin is so tough. But no match for my older Buck model 110. This knife has been very useful to me ever since I bought it in 1976.

Does anyone else have fondness for their Buck 110?

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shark vs Buck knife

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Had a similar Buck and lost it; probably lost knife No. 27 or 28 over the years. Most of them were Scout knives.
Glad you can eat those sharks. We mostly had Pacific dogfish where I fished in high school, and yes they had amazing skin!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Back in '71 the knife for a fireman was the 110. I bought one and used it every shift for over seven years. I still have it. It's a bit beat up, and doesn't get used anymore. But it has a place of honor in my knife drawer. I've looked at newer Bucks and they just don't seem to be made of quite the same stuff. That being said I picked up a titanium handled version of the 110 some years back. It's always performed. Maybe it just sentimentality on my part regarding the older Buck.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 pm Had a similar Buck and lost it; probably lost knife No. 27 or 28 over the years. Most of them were Scout knives.
Glad you can eat those sharks. We mostly had Pacific dogfish where I fished in high school, and yes they had amazing skin!
It was fun catching a 2' dogfish on light tackle. I even filleted a few for dinner. Have to soak the filets in salt water overnight, or they are super nasty.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My 110 I bought when I worked in the sport shop, it had been a constant companion from the mid 80s until a few years ago. I have no idea how many deer I gutted with it.
Its retired now but still kept shaving sharp! I wouldn't think twice about buying a new Buck with the S30V steel, buddy gutted 6 deer and still shaved with his S30V 110.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm My 110 I bought when I worked in the sport shop, it had been a constant companion from the mid 80s until a few years ago. I have no idea how many deer I gutted with it.
Its retired now but still kept shaving sharp! I wouldn't think twice about buying a new Buck with the S30V steel, buddy gutted 6 deer and still shaved with his S30V 110.
Do you find Buck steel a little brittle? Mostly my fault, but I twisted a Buck sheath knife in the pelvis of a big whitetail and snapped it off. :shock: :o Gerbers of that same era seemed too flexable for the job. Buck sure will hold an edge, tho...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I never broke a blade except for one kabar lock back when I was a kid. I did however find a fixed blade was much better for gutting. Now I'm using a D2 tool steel blade . My buddies & I actually discussed a gutting knife in depth and settled more or less in a 4" cutting edge, not too wide but enough spine(1/4") to take some abuse. I found the blanks on a knife supply house site and have put together 6 or 7 of them. Everyone loves em.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Buck 110X. The "X" denotes special. Mine has a carbon steel blade and stag scales. There were a lot of these made with Damascus blades. About 25 years ago I was Went to Smokey Mountain Knife works in Tn and saw a sign that said CHUCK BUCK WEEKEND. I asked about it and was told that this weekend anyone that bought a Buck knife could have it autographed by Chuck Buck. I bought a smaller lock back for my son and sure enough Chuck signed the blade with an engraver. He asked me if I had any more knives to be signed. I said well I do have my 110X but I didn't buy it here today. He was very gracious and said that doesn't mater, if it's our knife I'll sign it.
I later retired the Buck and started carrying a Puma that is built along the same lines as a 110 but it is about 3/4th the weight of the Buck.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm My 110 I bought when I worked in the sport shop, it had been a constant companion from the mid 80s until a few years ago. I have no idea how many deer I gutted with it.
Do you find Buck steel a little brittle? Mostly my fault, but I twisted a Buck sheath knife in the pelvis of a big whitetail and snapped it off. :shock: :o Gerbers of that same era seemed too flexable for the job. Buck sure will hold an edge, tho...
Send it back, they will replace it....
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a 110 that a friend gave me in 1969. It is a real working knife to this day.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 110, and my son got a 110X with the S30V blade for Christmas a few years ago. Both are good knives and do what they are supposed to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My 110 was a gift from my maternal Grandmother(other than my Dad, my most favorite person I have ever met) when I was a teenager. Remember this was the height of the “Duke boys” craze. I wore it everyday for a couple years and then doing something really intelligent(digging a bullet out of a tree) I broke the tip off pretty good. Well it was pretty much given up for dead, and used as a utility knife. Later the guy who painted my mustang found it in the car covered with bondo. He reground the tip so it was at least useable. He gave it to me and said boy this is a good knife not a piece of junk, so take care of it. That was 1983.
Fast forward to 2003-2004, I am divorced and in nursing school and broke broke broke, I am looking for things to do that cost little to nothing but give me a sense of accomplishment. I call Buck and explain my situation, “sure we will fix it, just pay the postage.” Well hot dam. Then the guy asked me a question that made me think Buck understood guys like me, do you just want the knife replaced or do you want THIS knife fixed? I of course said please fix this one, as some of the scars on that knife had meaning from a young mans life. In a short time the knife arrived and it was the same knife with a new blade( some of the scars told me so). They had cleaned it, buffed the brass, tightened it all back up and either refinished the wood or buffed to new. Did I mention it was SHAAAARP. I have several Buck products and as long as it is USA Buck, she’s a good un.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bought a 110 in a pawn shop once for 5 bucks. Really worn, short blade with hammer marks on the spine, loose, so I sent it to Buck and they sent me a new one. Still have it but I usually carry a Kershaw. It's lighter.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Got mine when I was in the 10th grade and carried it to school every day. Best friend got one too, but lost it a few years later when out plowing on the tractor. Amazing enough, two years later, when plowing, he spotted it, a bit worse for the elements, but still in good shape. You could shave with his, he kept it so sharp, me, not so much.

Still have it too, but haven't carried it in years.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Does a 112 count?
Been carrying and using one for years now. Was a honeymoon present from my wife.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:20 pm
BlaineG wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 pm
Send it back, they will replace it....
This was probably about 1980. A hair too late. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I used to carry a Bucklite in the Army. It was a 110 with polymer handle scales. It is still with me and still sharp.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been thinking about cleaning sharks... try going from nose to tail with your knife. The denticles on the hide are actually like teeth and they are point backwards. Also instead of using a good knife use a utility knife and throw the blades away- no need to wreck the edge on your buck.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

TWHBC wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 pm Does a 112 count?
Been carrying and using one for years now. Was a honeymoon present from my wife.
I too, carried and preferred the 112 Ranger. Bought it with my own money when I was 11. Still have it. In thise days, we wore em to school, and everywhere else we went. Even wore it to church.
I have a 110 NIB that's about 30 years old.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Originally had a 112. Not sure what became of it. Bought a 110 just to have one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We have been blessed with some great choices but have say I never carried anything that big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

This was my wife's Christmas Present. She said she wanted another auto knife for her range bag and I got an e-mail saying they made some Buck 110s as auto knives so I got her one. Her comment "It's pretty" but she likes it.
BUCK Auto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had no idea they made a 110 as an auto. Nice. How well does it work?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 pm I had no idea they made a 110 as an auto. Nice. How well does it work?
After some silicone oil, it works great she hasn't used it for anything except open boxes yet.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen those auto Buck 110s, but I carry a OTF by Cobra Tech. I like what I like.
D. Brian Casady