Vortex Scopes?....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Etela
Levergunner

Vortex Scopes?....

Post by Etela »

Hey,
Anyone got Vortex scopes?
Good or bad opinions welcome.

Looking at a 6-24x50 for rimfire 3P https://tacticsfaq.com/vortex-crossfire-vs-diamondback/ , field and silhouette..
Last edited by Etela on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vortex Scopes?....

Post by fordwannabe »

I have several vortex from crossfire II to 6x24x50s . They have never let me down and have good optics but seem heavier than my leupolds. A 308 that I have gets shot a lot and it has the 6-24 no issues.
Last edited by fordwannabe on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a "Viper" 6-24 x 50 on an AR and I like it. Good clarity and light transmittance. The only one I found better, (brighter), was a Swarovski and a SWFA branded (at same magnification and objective size... both nearly twice the price of the Vortex.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have a couple Strike Eagles and a Viper. Very happy with them
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a Viper 4x16 HST. Great scope. Only used it for 100 rounds before selling the rifle.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Excellent scopes and warranty. I really like mine. 6x24x50 Hit over one mile using it with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it used and it took a fall and broke the turret. Sent it in and got it back in 10 days in much better shape than when I bought it. They even replaced the scratched up caps and cleaned it up.
I heard a story of a hunter that ran his over prior to a hunt in Alaska. Vortex had him send a picture of it and they overnighted him a new one so as not to ruin his hunt.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have two Vortex Vipers, one on a Savage Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and one on a Remington 700 SPS in 22-250. Both are excellent and I can clearly see ground squirrels at 500+ yards. I think for the money Vortex is the best buy out there.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I went hunting Red Stag in Poland, all the guides used Vortex scopes. They hunt by moonlight there, and my Nikon was just a couple of degrees less effective even though it cost more. My Nikon was good enough, but the Vortex was better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I've got a few that work well. I've had a couple the came with trades I've made. The ones on the trades helped me to make the deals. I noticed that one scope wouldn't allow the power ring to rotate thus a single power. The guy said he would just give me the scope on the rifle free, as is. I sent it to Vortex with the explanation that I am not the original owner. They replaced the scope. The original had a bent tube. I have purchased and used others after. Nothing but good to say for this company. Good product and customer service. MK
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't have any Vortex scopes, but I had been wanting to upgrade my binoculars for a while. My Nikons (2 pair) were just aggravating me
I finally compared a few in the $500 to $800 range side by side last fall at Red Rock Sporting Goods in Miles City. Perfect conditions for testing. Hazy/foggy, near twilight.
The Vortex won and it was $559 no sales tax.
So far, I likey.
I've a big Leupold scope fan, but I may try a Vortex scope next time, based on this experience.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m a die hard fan of “older” Leupolds Vari XII and Vari XIII . The profile of these scopes and the old Redfields just plain looks better on s nice older bolt action or whatever . Now with that being said I wouldn’t walk across the street for one of the new Leupolds . I have a Nikon 3-9 BDC scope on a 10-22 but I don’t like the look of it . We have had a bunch of Vortex scopes in the shop and then be used a number of them but owned none , they all worked well but again I don’t care for the look or profile . We started recently sells no Athelon scopes and again I don’t care for the look or profile of them on any classic firearm but I can live with them on an AR as I have one on my AR 22 . If I can get 25-30 more years out of my old Leupolds I’ll be good . In thirty years I’ll be 87 if still kicking and by then I oughtta be tired of killing deer etc .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Just remember to read and follow the torque instructions attached to the scope. It's real easy to over torque and damage the scope when mounting.

The tag on mine said 18 in/pds.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes.......Excellent ......I keep a Vortex on my long range silhouette rifle....I think it's a 6-16 ...dunno as I always leave it on 16x.

A week after buying it and installing it on a Remington 700 I dropped the rifle and damaged the objective lens...sent it back and got it back two weeks later with a hat, decals , shims, extra cover...those guys are great!

Fast forward 6 months and 500 rounds later....the rifle started printing groups in one area...then another area...changing point of impact.......sent it back and got it back last week ...again no charge......funny thing, they said the scope was fine....WTF?....dunno....remounted it it and everything is fine. Tested it at the match yesterday to one hundred percent satisfaction...on the scopes part....my loads in the wind left much to be desired.--6
Model A Uzi’s
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

jdad wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 am Just remember to read and follow the torque instructions attached to the scope. It's real easy to over torque and damage the scope when mounting.

The tag on mine said 18 in/pds. Somehow missed this,I'll have to check!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Big Vortex fan,have both scopes and binos. Exceptional quality especially for the money.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper