How About a Model 94 Chambered in Winchester's New 350 Legend?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

How About a Model 94 Chambered in Winchester's New 350 Legend?

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: How About a Model 94 Chambered in Winchester's New 350 Legend?

Post by Blaine »

COSteve wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm Blowing out the neck in a .223 completely to make a straight walled case gives you room for a 35 cal bullet. Winchester's new 350 Legend ammo in a Polymer Tipped 150grn bullet at 2,325fps load sound like a 357 Mag cartridge on steroids. With a polymer tip, it should work as well in a levergun as Hornady's do. However, with a lower recoil than the 30-30, it might be a good candidate for a rebarreled Winchester 94 sized action.
Winchester Power Point 30WCF 150 are loaded to 2390fps, and are much heavier for calibre ergo better SD, penetration etc....It might be a fun project, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I would like to see a pump action in 350 Legend (300 whisper/blackout, 223 Rem, 7.62X39mm, 9X39mm, 35 Rem etc). It seems to me you could tweak a shot gun design by scaling it down & with some upgraded metallurgy produce a darn fine hunting rifle. Years ago IMI produced a rifle called the timberwolf in 44 & 357 mag that was similar to the Remington 870.

Besides being a good hunting rig the fact is there are some restrictive environments around the world and here in the USA where a semi auto is out of the question but a pump action is considered acceptable. There is a market there to be exploited IMO.

Wm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know a few years ago trying to figure out a way to make a short action Winchester 92 or Marlin 1894 into a 357 Maximum was all the rage, and the consensus seemed to be you really needed a slightly longer action, but once you went to the longer action 1894 and 336 actions you may as well escalate to a 35 Remington. It sounds like this cartridge fits in there somewhere as well...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I think the levergun applications would be limited by what seems to be a primary feature of this round -- headspacing on the case mouth. To me this would seem to rule out tube-magazine designs since the crimping necessary to prevent bullet set-back in tube mags doesn't mix well with headspacing on the mouth. Of course, you could go to a box-mag or rotary magazine design, but then you might as well step up to a .308 or some-such. It's an interesting cartridge, but one pretty clearly designed to get around a legal restriction on hunting cartridges, and not to offer any other advantage.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pisgah wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 am I think the levergun applications would be limited by what seems to be a primary feature of this round -- headspacing on the case mouth. To me this would seem to rule out tube-magazine designs since the crimping necessary to prevent bullet set-back in tube mags doesn't mix well with headspacing on the mouth. Of course, you could go to a box-mag or rotary magazine design, but then you might as well step up to a .308 or some-such. It's an interesting cartridge, but one pretty clearly designed to get around a legal restriction on hunting cartridges, and not to offer any other advantage.
Not to mention the factory POINTY bullet in a mag tube.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Could load them with Hornady gummy-tips.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

350 in a Ruger MIni 14 would work as a nice woods rifle for deer hunting.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 am Could load them with Hornady gummy-tips.
Yes Bill the FTX would work- my opinion is Winchester is trying to get in on the AR craze with this round. They only list that pointy plastic tip for use in box mags.
I think this round could be a fun endeavor for load development in different types of firearms but it's probably going to be a flop...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

My opinion is Winchester is trying to get in on the 450 Bushmaster craze without involving the 450 Bushmaster. :D

(that same niche market driving 450BM bolt guns and single shot sales)
Slow is just slow.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This cartridge intrested me when I first saw the blurb in the retail magazine , but after a little thought I’m not intrested any longer . I would however be intrested if they could get the 6.5 PRC to function well in an AR-10 . If they did that I’d already have a barrel and the rest of the pieces on the way !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont believe this or any other rimless cartridge will work in a Winchester 94 action. The rim is part of how the 94 lifts, retains and feeds cartridges. There may also be problems with retaining the next round in the magazine in place while the action is cycling.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

you can keep it! I'll take a 336 in 35 Remington or a 94 in 356 Winchester.