I realize mine is newer than many of yours ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I realize mine is newer than many of yours ....

Post by JimT »

but I decided today that I needed to strip down my old RCBS Rock Chucker and give it a good cleaning! I have been using it since I bought it about 1985 and I can't remember ever pulling it apart and cleaning it. I guess it was about time.

It was pretty dirty in places but cleaned up easily. A little rust removal in some spots, a light lube and it was back in business. I know mine is the new one .. the Rock Chucker II ... some of you guys have the old originals I am sure.

These are a great machine!

And no, I don't load all my ammo on the 310 Tool. Any suggestion that I did was purely misleading .... on purpose. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I realize mine is newer than many of yours ....

Post by Blaine »

Oh, the stories it could tell. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

:o You mean you have to clean them?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

A friend of mine called me up and said he was going to throw away that same style of reloader -- I told him to send it my way... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My first one was a Lee Turret, still have it, but I tore out all the auto pelosi and just save the time of switching dies.....Different turret for each calibre. The last 100 I did was on a Lee Hand Press....good workout.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess out of respect for their long life of flawless service, I should probably clean most of my reloading equipment. But I keep telling myself, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least that's my excuse for being lazy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My old Lee press might be about that old, but it hasn't taken the beating you've obviously given yours.

Mercy... Old reloading equipment might have latched onto a piece of your soul, and could have rights!

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jim, I have an old C&H press that my bought for me in 1960 and a set of C&H .45Colt dies that she bought with the press. I still load on it sometimes. When my son came home from the Marines he brought a used Rock Crusher, that was in 1989, it has been a good one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

JerryB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm Jim, I have an old C&H press that my bought for me in 1960 and a set of C&H .45Colt dies that she bought with the press. I still load on it sometimes. When my son came home from the Marines he brought a used Rock Crusher, that was in 1989, it has been a good one.
My Dad had one of those C&H presses. They were pretty rugged.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim...I know you've been moving around the world and the country and you said a few years back you sold a lot of stuff. I have lots of extras here as in scales, powder measures, loading blocks etc.....drop me a pm if you need anything and I'll get it to ya..free...---6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 pm Jim...I know you've been moving around the world and the country and you said a few years back you sold a lot of stuff. I have lots of extras here as in scales, powder measures, loading blocks etc.....drop me a pm if you need anything and I'll get it to ya..free...---6
Dang! Thank you! I sure appreciate that. I kept all the reloading gear in storage. After my wife passed and I moved back to the US I dug it out and put it back to work and it is doing just fine. What I really need is a nice old Colt SAA in 38 Special ... though I would settle for a newer one in .357. If you are giving any of them away I will take one of those. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhh Jim........only have big bores starting with 40 in single action Colts...for real, only had one .357 and it was an early 3rd gen in nickel of which only like 500 were made so......I did the American thing and sold it.

Funny thing, it's guys like you, Skeeter, Elmer, Paco, John T. and other notables who steered me towards the big bores, so indirectly, it's your fault I don't have any medium bores to give ya!

The offer is always open....in addition to reloading gear, I also keep large amounts of assorted brass laying around, especially in the common calibers..9, 40, 45, 38/357. 223. I'm at that age where I've accumulated a lot and no one wants to give ya anything for it so,I figure I'd just give it away to deserving folk.

I remember many years ago you gave me free advertisement on a wheelbarrow load of Colt single action parts I had. I never forgot that...or the cylinder you got from me and made a story on it.

pelosi, forgot..I have lots of Rugers in .357, even some early three digit flat tops.----6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

While I love those old Rugers and cut my teeth on them I am holding out for a Colt. And again, I appreciate the offer of help with "stuff". You are the kind of people that make the shooting world a better place my friend.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have two Rockchuckers . One from the 80’s and a new one from last years manufacture. The primer catcher on the new one is a piece of junk. There are aftermarket catchers available and the one I bought has been working just fine.
I also have an RCBS Jr. press I bought new in about 1965 . That old Jr. press will do just about everything I do today.
I wipe them down and lube them but have never disassembled one to clean it.