C- note value challenge or how two guys entertain themselves

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

C- note value challenge or how two guys entertain themselves

Post by wm »

I don't know how many of you follow Military Arms Channel blog (YouTube or Full30) but the host and his best friend have an on again / Off again challenge where they do a tour of gun shops and they see who can buy the best value firearm for specific amount. Sometimes they do rifles other times handguns. Dollar value fluctuates but is generally around $200 or less.

Well …… my buddy and I are going to do the same thing when we go to the gunshow the end of the month. We decided $100 (or so) to see who can get the most enjoyable firearm. Not necessarily the best for any specific purpose, just a fun gun to shoot or own. It might be the Mossberg Brownie or a Remington 1858 replica or Heiser pocket AK or whatever. Just something fun.

There is a turkey dinner riding on this …… so you can clearly see how serious we are taking this. :roll:

Anyway …… any suggestions on what to keep an eye open for? My gut says to watch for muzzle loaders and/or rimfires. But beyond that …… ??????? Any firearms you can recall be all sorts of cheap fun?

Wm
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: C- note value challenge or how two guys entertain themselves

Post by marlinman93 »

Seems somewhat tough to determine who won? How do you decide who got the most "enjoyable" firearm out of their purchase? I bet if I did this with my buddy I'd always think my purchase was the most "enjoyable"! :)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

wm wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 pm
Well …… my buddy and I are going to do the same thing when we go to the gunshow the end of the month.

We decided $100 (or so) to see who can get the most enjoyable firearm.

Anyway …… any suggestions on what to keep an eye open for ?

Sounds like a good way to have fun w/o spending $100. :mrgreen:

FWIW, in over 45 years of attending New England gun shows, I've never seen a firearm for sale for $100 or less, unless it was a rusted tomato stake.

If it were me, I'd buy whatever floated my boat at whatever price, then tell him ""You win - let's get that turkey dinner !" :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't remember the costs, and they were probably over $100 (because like was said above, it is hard to find ANY firearm for less than $200 these days), but some of my favorite guns over the years were not that costly:

Ruger 10/22's
Handi-Rifles in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 500 S&W, 223 Rem, and 7.62x39 (sold most after a bit, but liked 'em all)
Many 22 LR revolvers
a silly little Raven in 25 ACP
a breakopen 10 gauge one of my friends
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I always wanted a broom-handle Mauser. The closest I ever got is a Charter Arms AR7 Explorer II. It has been the most fun $125 I ever spent at a gun show.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 pm Sounds like a good way to have fun w/o spending $100. :mrgreen:

FWIW, in over 45 years of attending New England gun shows, I've never seen a firearm for sale for $100 or less, unless it was a rusted tomato stake.

If it were me, I'd buy whatever floated my boat at whatever price, then tell him ""You win - let's get that turkey dinner !" :mrgreen:

This is a man with a head on his shoulders.

:idea: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Picked up a Jennings 22 at the last gunshow I went to. It's a fairly accurate and very reliable little popper.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last gun I bought was a 1939 Polish trainer that I got from my LGS for $119.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.