Still a Kid...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Still a Kid...

Post by .45colt »

When I was Young in the early 60's I would sit and wear out My Dad shooters Bible and Gun Digest's every year. of course I wanted at least one of everything. one shotgun that I always wanted and never got was a Browning Auto 5. last week I picked this one up and boy is it fun to shoot. varmints beware. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796970066
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Still a Kid...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was the same way with a Ruger Single Six convertible revolver. I had to choose between it and the Ruger Mark 1 pistol, to "go with" my 10/22. I figured stick with the accuracy of the Mark 1, and who cares if it is a semiauto and flings brass, since it isn't reloadable (my centerfires were a Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger M-77 in 6mm Rem....I liked Rugers :wink: ), then I got levergun sense and bought a Marlin 1894 to "go with" the Super Blackhawk. :D

So I had quite the five-gun collection for a poor country boy....but missed out on the Single Six. :(

Around age 55 or so, I stumbled on a used one though, and BOY WAS THAT COOL.....! I can't hit a darned thing with it though (i think Paco's Ac'u'riz'r or however he spells it might help, as I've heard the barrel bore is set for 22 WMR not 22 LR).l, but I do have FUN.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As a kid back in the early sixties I too wore out Gun Digest and Shooters Bibles but with little to no chance of ever getting my hands on those firearms. However even in England I did manage to own a few of the guns I idolized. Still a heck of a lot on my list though.
Congratulations on getting that Browning.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice .45colt, congrats on getting it, nice price too. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Congratulations on the find, now wear it out as you would have then.
It is not the critic who counts
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I did the same thing. Would run home from school and spend time in my dad's gun room.
I spent a lot of time drooling on the pages.
Must of left some sign. My dad bought me a S&W 629 for graduation. No small thing for him in those days.

Glad you got your A5.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:00 pm I was the same way with a Ruger Single Six convertible revolver. I had to choose between it and the Ruger Mark 1 pistol, to "go with" my 10/22. I figured stick with the accuracy of the Mark 1, and who cares if it is a semiauto and flings brass, since it isn't reloadable (my centerfires were a Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger M-77 in 6mm Rem....I liked Rugers :wink: ), then I got levergun sense and bought a Marlin 1894 to "go with" the Super Blackhawk. :D

So I had quite the five-gun collection for a poor country boy....but missed out on the Single Six. :(

Around age 55 or so, I stumbled on a used one though, and BOY WAS THAT COOL.....! I can't hit a darned thing with it though (i think Paco's Ac'u'riz'r or however he spells it might help, as I've heard the barrel bore is set for 22 WMR not 22 LR).l, but I do have FUN.
Congratulations on the Auto 5.

FWIW I've never been able to shoot a SA with plow handle grips. A Bisley grip is a game changer for me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks To All... :D . It for sure isn't a light weight in todays sense at about eight lb. I have had all of My 12 ga reloading stuff put away for some time. I went to wally world and they have "Estate" 12 ga 1 oz. loads @ 1180 fps. I figure if It will shoot these It's a big bonus. I set the friction rings up for light loads and it wouldn't cycle, My Boss at work who has been shooting A-5's His whole life says oil the mag tube. So I put about six drops of light oil under the rings and it runs like a clock. not much recoil at all. Looking forward to shooting this one a lot more.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

On the advice of an old Auto 5 shooter I cleaned my 16 ga thoroughly after having some cold weather issues and lubed everything with graphite powder. Runs perfect since then though I still like a few drops of Remoil on the mag tube.