Gun Show Find Winchester Low Wall 22 Long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Gun Show Find Winchester Low Wall 22 Long

Post by Shrapnel »

The Livingston gun show is this weekend, I went early Friday with a couple friends and when I got there, I was told about a Winchester low wall that was stamped "W.F. Sheard, Livingston, Montana." I looked at it and it is an original half round half octagon in 22 Long. Not many of those around and the bore is shiney, so I bought it. Gophers are only a month away from seeing the wrong end of the Winchester...

wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun Show Find Winchester Low Wall 22 Long

Post by wm »

That's an awesome addition. Color me green with envy.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice find!
I can hear Bill Murry now- DIE GOPHER!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that is Super Fine !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very cool. Looks like fun.
Reminds me of back when we sometimes bought 22 shorts or longs because they were cheaper than long rifles.
My Model 61 handles them all.

And just saw one for sale - NIB for $3900.00.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow. Super nice. Congratulations on a good one.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Very nice indeed!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh, you're gonna enjoy that. Are you going to put a tang sight on it?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

wm wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 am That's an awesome addition. Color me green with envy.

Wm
Me too :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have several other Sheard marked guns; 1876 Winchester 45-75, 1886 Winchester 40-65 and a Marlin 1889 44-40...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shrapnel, that is a rare bird indeed. Was WF Sheard a gunsmith? Hardware store owner? Any idea how long he was in business in Livingston?
I wish I had your gun show to attend. The one I went to here in Alamogordo on Saturday was infested with knitted pink beanies, scented candles and even kids' coloring books. The horror!
:lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sheard was a gunsmith, gun shop owner, and sight maker. You may have heard of Sheard marked sights? That's a great collection of Sheard marked guns. We never see them around my area, and I love old guns with maker's or seller's rollstamps. As long as they were professionally done by well known shops.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Question: Since the cases are the same for both the "L" and "LR", can you shoot long rifles in that rifle?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Vall!
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Very nice find. Like a bigger better made Stevens 44... my M44 drives tacks at 115 feet with a $7 Walmart Tasco on it.We supposedly have the correct scope around here somewhere.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Scruffy49 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:26 pm Very nice find. Like a bigger better made Stevens 44... my M44 drives tacks at 115 feet with a $7 Walmart Tasco on it.We supposedly have the correct scope around here somewhere.
That would be a great idea. I would like to find a vintage scope for that rifle...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Could be a tough one to scope and miss the various Sheard and caliber rollstamps. Need one back by the action, and another 7.2" forward. Quite likely one of the two would damage the stamps.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm Could be a tough one to scope and miss the various Sheard and caliber rollstamps. Need one back by the action, and another 7.2" forward. Quite likely one of the two would damage the stamps.
That was a good find for a regular gunshow...half rd/oct are hard to find in any model.

You can scope them with destroying anything. This special order Low Wall in 22 Long Rifle with an 28" barrel and set trigger has a contemporary 36" Stevens scope that uses the dovetails...(it does not letter with the scope but it's 99% the original owner put it on) .....pretty much the same as the modern MVA period scopes do which I have on a High Wall 40-82.

Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

J Miller wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm Question: Since the cases are the same for both the "L" and "LR", can you shoot long rifles in that rifle?

Joe
Some .22 long rifles will chamber .22lr but I believe the rate of twist is different between the two so accuracy may suffer.
I would use shorts if I couldn't find longs. I sure do love that Low Wall though....... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm Could be a tough one to scope and miss the various Sheard and caliber rollstamps. Need one back by the action, and another 7.2" forward. Quite likely one of the two would damage the stamps.
That was a good find for a regular gunshow...half rd/oct are hard to find in any model.

You can scope them with destroying anything. This special order Low Wall in 22 Long Rifle with an 28" barrel and set trigger has a contemporary 36" Stevens scope that uses the dovetails...(it does not letter with the scope but it's 99% the original owner put it on) .....pretty much the same as the modern MVA period scopes do which I have on a High Wall 40-82.

Wow, that is a nice gun. The only redeeming thing about mine is that the bore is bright and it is Sheard marked. Would you be willing to loan me that scope for awhile???
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Sure Shrapnel.....hey....your in the vicinity of MVA. Those guys make one hell of a scope...the blocks that fit into the dovetails are color casehardened...but you probably know that. ....those guys are probably buddies of yours as Montanans stick together, unlike us eastern guys.

We all make mistakes in guns we should have bought. I let go an 1892 Win. with the same scope on it ...hair shorter...the whole setup was 95% ...for 25...----6
Model A Uzi’s
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 am Sure Shrapnel.....hey....your in the vicinity of MVA. Those guys make one hell of a scope...the blocks that fit into the dovetails are color casehardened...but you probably know that. ....those guys are probably buddies of yours as Montanans stick together, unlike us eastern guys.

We all make mistakes in guns we should have bought. I let go an 1892 Win. with the same scope on it ...hair shorter...the whole setup was 95% ...for 25...----6
I don't want to defile and old rifle with a new scope. MVA makes a good reproduction, but I would rather have an original. I also need to find one for the McAusland Sharps I have, it already has the doevetail in the barrel...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Never had a '74 sidehammer....never could find one like yours that fit my criteria....decent, solid, good to excellent bore, original...finish is not important as there's probably not 500 '74's with 50% or more condition left........ones I found were either worn and loose junk with sewer pipes or $10,000 examples....similar to my experiences with a '76 Winchester.

Did own a '78 military Borchardt that was loaded with condition....that baby shot super....lost interest in it and moved it as there's nothing like a heavy barreled single shot which is what I wanted.

I'm in that stage of my life where it's time to cash in from time to time to supplement my retirement. I find myself gravitating towards high condition .22's....especially bores..:D ......I love the low wall with the 5x Stevens...busts clay birds out to 150 every shot. Like you, with the exception of a few early Wins & S.A.Colts , I shoot em all.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm Never had a '74 sidehammer....never could find one like yours that fit my criteria....decent, solid, good to excellent bore, original...finish is not important as there's probably not 500 '74's with 50% or more condition left........ones I found were either worn and loose junk with sewer pipes or $10,000 examples....similar to my experiences with a '76 Winchester.

Did own a '78 military Borchardt that was loaded with condition....that baby shot super....lost interest in it and moved it as there's nothing like a heavy barreled single shot which is what I wanted.

I'm in that stage of my life where it's time to cash in from time to time to supplement my retirement. I find myself gravitating towards high condition .22's....especially bores..:D ......I love the low wall with the 5x Stevens...busts clay birds out to 150 every shot. Like you, with the exception of a few early Wins & S.A.Colts , I shoot em all.----6
I love guns of The American West. I have some Sharps rifles that all have local provenance as they were shipped here, to Bozeman in the 1870's. I have tham on display in the local museum. Many people are not aware of the historical evidence of the past that still exists...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not Winchester 1885, but I have a full length Stevens scope on my Ballard #3 also. Originally a .22 Long, but was sent to Stevens and is marked as "Rebored by J Stevens A&T .25 Rimfire"

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Shrapnel wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:48 pm I have several other Sheard marked guns; 1876 Winchester 45-75, 1886 Winchester 40-65 and a Marlin 1889 44-40...

those are really nice !!! you have an amazing collection... makes mine look like a pauper !

i had a winchester 1886 in 45/90,with extra heavy 28” oct barrel and mirror bore, WF Sheard livingston marked - sold it to two brothers who were ranchers and big game guides in montana , for clients to use ; i was living in idaho falls then and had a table at the gun show in helena ... bet it has taken some elk and deer now

should have kept it , of course
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What a collection, thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 amWhat a collection, thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Aye it tis! Very nice addition Shrapnel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

To have them resting in a museum is even more spectacular! Ain't nothing like an original '74 Sharps......wonder what happened to all of Elmer Keith's Sharps he used to write about.----6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Target Sports has 22 Long and 22 Short at a decent price, whether it's by the box, brick or case! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:00 pm Target Sports has 22 Long and 22 Short at a decent price, whether it's by the box, brick or case! Todd/3leg
Turtleman....pick some up for a possible future buy...I picked up a brick of CCI longs and a brick of CCI "quiets" a few weeks ago. IIRC they were $35 a brick. That stuff is great for shooting around the house or in original black pow. guns.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 pm
wm wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 am That's an awesome addition. Color me green with envy.

Wm
Me too :mrgreen:
Me three. What a find!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I upgraded this nice old gun with a Lyman tang peep and a rare Sheard front sight. The gophers are in trouble if it ever thaws out...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Some day I'm going to finally get hold of one of those Sheard triple-leaf sights. There was a guy in NY making a run at reproducing them but I don't think he ever did more than a couple.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Shrapnel, that is a great gopher rig now !

I love shooting those lttle pests when I am in Bozeman !

Rimfire, l I have a lot of unusual sights, but on ly one of those and It needs a little repair. very hard sight to find.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That Marbles front and rear sight looks like it was put there when the rifle was made! I too, like the Sheard front sight having them on at least a dozen of my shooters. I like the fine bead ones like yours....well, I really can't remember seeing any of big beaded Sheards. One of the best, if not the best front hunting front sights. For target, it's hard to beat the standard straight front blade like you see on military guns.

I don't find Sheard front sights hard to find..if you know where to look. I have a couple of dozen of them around here, most all Marbles marked from back in the day. In fact, the other day I put a real nice clean example on my smallbore silhouette rifle, a model 63 Winchester.

Marbles made them for decades. The ones that are rare are the original Sheard marked sights.

Damm Shrapnel, consider yourself lucky to be able to still see the front sight. For some reason, most of my front sights have been assaulted by some fuzz machine. :D ------6

Model A Uzi’s
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I also found a die made by Neal Waltz that can put a hollow point in the 22 long bullet. It is hard enough to find 22 lons, but you can't find any that have hollow points.

This tool is finely machined and it is made to put an adjustable depth to the hollow point and it also has a top punch that you can just flatten the end of the bullet. The process of putting the hollow point, also swages the bullet into the die and makes the bullets a perfect .225 caliber, which is supposed to help accuracy too.

I put 50 of them through the die, now I need to go shoot them and see what the performance is. Then I will be after gophers with this low wall as well as the Winchester 1873 I also have in 22 long. As rare as these guns are, it is even more rare to find them with shiney bores like both these guns have...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ain't that somethin! Does the die also work with long rifles?

That 73 of yours looks to have plenty of condition......will it take high velocity ammo? ....yea, weird question ...big rifle with a puny cartridge but as you know the early pre HS Marlins 39's would crack the bolt with high vel ammo. Could have had several Colt Lightnings over the years in 22 Long but did not know whether they could take the higher speed ammo so I let them pass.

Funny thing...we all start with .22's then when we get our own money we buy the big 45 caliber rifles, then 40 caliber, then 38 and so on....but I find myself nowadays finishing where I started..back to .22's.....----6
Model A Uzi’s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have a real nice 73 in 22 long, but have only used standard velolcity ammo....has the proper tang sight..i need to get one of those tools
cable
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I got it out for snow gophers and got it christened...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What a Great Rifle and all of the other treasures . Thank You for the post. Keep Up the Good Shootin... :D .