Winchester/Miroku 1873 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester/Miroku 1873 SRC

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Always wanted a '73 carbine, and I finally bit the bullet and bought this Miroku/Winchester. I am really happy with it! I loaded up a few rounds using my original Winchester loading tool, using jacketed bullets, since I don't have a mould as yet.... Hope to get one soon. Really smooth action, it's actually smoother than any of the original '73s I have owned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester/Miroku 1873 SRC

Post by Walker »

Nice setup! I wish they'd make a trapper in 38wcf to go with my old colt.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

"Nice setup! I wish they'd make a trapper in 38wcf to go with my old colt."

I hope they DON'T! I would have to have one, and I can't afford it...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got a Miroku 1873 short rifle in .357 and a Miroku 1866 in .44 WCF and am very happy with them. Just like the originals, they are COAL sensitive
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

vancelw wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 pm Just like the originals, they are COAL sensitive
That is exactly why I use the original loading tool, no fiddling around to get the proper length. Yes, I am lazy.... so shoot me! :lol:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have an original that the bore slugs .431 so I bought the Miroku hoping for a tighter bore but alas, same size! Forgot to say it's a 44 WCF. I agree it's a very slick action but when I backed off the lever and lifter springs it got a lot better. Also, I thinned the lever safety spring way down so I don't have to consciously grip the lever to de-activate that safety. I know, a lot of SASS shooters just take the safety out but I don't like to do that. I put a Lyman tang sight on and it shoots good groups with jacketed bullets I had that are .431 diameter. It is no better than the one from 1895 that I bought it to replace. I'll buy or hone out a mold to fit it but have been using the original more than the Miroku. Have you slugged your bore? Is it 44-40?
My 73 SRCs both 44WCF
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the miroku 73 deluxe sporters in 44/40 and like it a lot.The gun is very accurate and a joy to carry.The only problem I had with it was the trigger block safety would stick inside the frame,so I disassembled the action and found the trigger block spring was not in the proper position so after I corrected that it worked perfect
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

QCI Winchesters wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 pm "Nice setup! I wish they'd make a trapper in 38wcf to go with my old colt."

I hope they DON'T! I would have to have one, and I can't afford it...
Same here, 38wcf is probably one of my favorite cartridges that I'll never have a rifle for. Glad your 1873 is well made. Todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hey TODD3/leg, I think I have seen the Miroku advertised in 38 WCF. You NEED one. I'll look.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Beautiful rifles guys. I would love to pick up a new 1873 but I think I still want a 1886 so bad so I may do that first.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:05 pm Hey TODD3/leg, I think I have seen the Miroku advertised in 38 WCF. You NEED one. I'll look.
Nope, 357, 44 WCF and 45C.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:10 pm I have an original that the bore slugs .431 so I bought the Miroku hoping for a tighter bore but alas, same size! Forgot to say it's a 44 WCF. I agree it's a very slick action but when I backed off the lever and lifter springs it got a lot better. Also, I thinned the lever safety spring way down so I don't have to consciously grip the lever to de-activate that safety. I know, a lot of SASS shooters just take the safety out but I don't like to do that. I put a Lyman tang sight on and it shoots good groups with jacketed bullets I had that are .431 diameter. It is no better than the one from 1895 that I bought it to replace. I'll buy or hone out a mold to fit it but have been using the original more than the Miroku. Have you slugged your bore? Is it 44-40?
I haven't slugged mine, it's a 5 groove barrel so kinda hard to get a good measurement. I will be using exclusively black powder and lead once it's broken in, so I am not too worried about the groove diameter. .427 slugs will bump up no problem. How did you thin the lever safety spring? Mine has a spring like on a clothespin, I simply bent it until it matched the strength of the safety springs on the originals I used to own. Now, the lever spring overpowers the safety spring, as it should be. I also shortened the magazine spring by several inches, it was waaay longer than necessary! Oh, and yes it's a .44. None of that .45 Colt BS for me. Always wanted a '73 carbine, but they're impossible to find in Canada. Round barrel rifles in .32 and .38WCF seem to be the most common. This Miroku makes me happy, and I think we will be together for a long time.
Doug Jeffries
Levergunner

Post by Doug Jeffries »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:10 pm I have an original that the bore slugs .431 so I bought the Miroku hoping for a tighter bore but alas, same size! Forgot to say it's a 44 WCF. I agree it's a very slick action but when I backed off the lever and lifter springs it got a lot better. Also, I thinned the lever safety spring way down so I don't have to consciously grip the lever to de-activate that safety. I know, a lot of SASS shooters just take the safety out but I don't like to do that. I put a Lyman tang sight on and it shoots good groups with jacketed bullets I had that are .431 diameter. It is no better than the one from 1895 that I bought it to replace. I'll buy or hone out a mold to fit it but have been using the original more than the Miroku. Have you slugged your bore? Is it 44-40?
My 73 SRCs both 44WCF
That safety is to make sure you can't fire out of battery, an important feature with the toggle link system.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

[/quote]
That safety is to make sure you can't fire out of battery, an important feature with the toggle link system.
[/quote]

I had no intention of removing the safety, but the way Miroku has it set up (Uberti too) is wrong. The trigger stop is supposed to be deactivated as the lever closes, the lever spring being stronger than the safety spring. For some reason, they set it up like the 94, where you have to squeeze it to pull the trigger. In the 73, the lever lock shouldn't be under pressure when the lever is latched.