hearing it too much these days..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

hearing it too much these days..

Post by mickbr »

Too many folks getting cancer. When I was growing up I knew of maybe 1-2 people with cancer, it was rare like hearing someone got kidney disease. When did it become more common than male pattern baldness?They say it was always there but we didn't know because we didnt have the tests in the old days to prove what cancer was. I say hogwash, I grew up in the 1980's, not the 1930's. I'm not saying they are remiss in not finding a cure, there are probably a lot of types of cancer to fight. But I think they are remiss in not telling us what is causing it. All the billions spent on 'treatments', but where are the scientists and medicos lining up to work out why we getting it in the first place?
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Re: hearing it too much these days..

Post by mark »

Hmm!

I have prostate cancer.

I was born in 1949.

Regards Mark
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

my father died from prostate cancer he was born in 1924
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Plenty of people are telling us what causes it - we just don't like the answers, so we ignore them....

Smoking causes lung, throat, esophagus, tongue, bladder, ureter, kidney, among others.
Plastics leach out chemicals known to cause breast cancer and possibly prostate cancer.
All the 'make-it-easy-to-have-sex-without''consequences'' things like Mirena, Nuva-Ring, Implanon, Depo-Provera, and Birth Control Pills, have fake 'hormones' that unlike REAL hormones, cause all sorts of bad things, including cardiovascular disease and stroke - and cancer.
Having sex with more than one person in your life means you almost certainly have HPV virus (which most of us first acquire via simply kissing on the mouth), which causes throat, esophagus, tongue cancers (smoking is a co-factor), penile cancers, vulvar cancers, cervical cancers, vaginal cancers, and rectal cancers.

But life is too convenient and fun when we use/do all of the above, so we don't listen.

This is not to say people don't get cancer if they do none of those things, but the INCREASE in cancer is likely at least in part due to these things.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Although it can strike at any age, cancer is predominantly a disease of old age. Live long enough, and you will develop some form of cancer. It may not be what kills you, but it'll be there.

In 1900 the average lifespan of a US male was 58. Now it is nearly 80. Cancer has always been there; it just didn't get time to show itself as much in the past.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pisgah makes a good point also. We are all going to die of SOMETHING, and under age 50, it will likely be 'trauma' (car wreck, drug overdose, etc.), or for women - cancer (cervix, melanoma, breast), or for men - cardiac. Once we are over 50, for men, cancers start outpacing heart disease, and for women who make it to 50, their most likely cause of hospitalization or death is cardiovascular disease.

Unfortunately, young men just don't go to the doctor, and many young women only see planned parenthood or a gynecologist, so the majority of people coast into the last third of life without much medical care in any thorough, preventative, sense. Then they expect to turn things around somehow with a pill or two, and it isn't always possible.

In addition, how many guys get a complete physical each year, involving GOOD blood tests (not just the basic $20 stuff 'insurance covers'), and a prostate blood test, prostate exam, and head-to-toe skin check...? Women tend to take much better care of themselves (men take better care of their motorcycles and fishing reels than their own bodies), but even among women, I see new patients all the time who are in their fifties or older, and have never had a thorough physical - typically all they get is a pap smear and something that passes for a 'breast exam' but wasn't done thoroughly and no self-exam instruction worth a darn was given. Few have had any skin exam and know nothing of what to look for, and few have had their cardiovascular risk factors addressed properly (they haven't even had the proper testing - they get a fasting sugar but not a fasting insulin, and they get an LDL-cholesterol, instead of an Apo-B or LDL-P, and so on...)

We are fortunate enough to live longer because we have lots of technology and knowledge our ancestors lacked, but something will kill us all in the end. Health care is a matter of postponing or dodging each terminal event that comes to our horizon, and eventually one can't be escaped. But you do need to look (get ALL the appropriate screenings, not just the ones the hospitals market out to everyone) and see what is coming, so you can avoid it or stop it when it is stoppable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Pisgah wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 am Although it can strike at any age, cancer is predominantly a disease of old age. Live long enough, and you will develop some form of cancer. It may not be what kills you, but it'll be there.

In 1900 the average lifespan of a US male was 58. Now it is nearly 80. Cancer has always been there; it just didn't get time to show itself as much in the past.
Yep.

But AJMD429 makes a good point as well …… we have filled our lives with stuff that is convenient but not good for us. Processed foods, bottled water, and frankly we don't do physical labor like we should. We are products of millions of years of evolution to fit and thrive in a certain environment but in the last 100 years we have radically changed that environment. Our bodies are struggling to catch up.

I carry too much weight but as my Doctor points out I am reasonably fit. As he put it 200 years ago I would be considered 'stout & hearty' kind of guy but now because of the work I do I use more brain then muscle everyday and as result I don't burn as many calories as I should. My body/metabolism is suited for the 19th century and not the 21st. The guy that works next to me is the same age, 145 lbs and is considered a healthy weight but 200 years ago he probably would be sickly and lucky to survive a harsh winter.

Wm
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Nobody gets out of here alive...

I'm beginning to think the actuary tables set up for social security back when is fairly accurate, the gov't didn't really expect you to live much past 65, When I witness the breakdown of folks my age (mid 60's) it seems like thats your programmed avg. lifespan . Modern medicine is able to prolong that, and so we see more cancer, alzheimers, and lingering in nursing homes.
What good is living into your 80s if your spending time in a home drooling in front of the weather channel. :?

So.... my thought for the day, take reasonable care of yourself, try not to do anything too stupid, love your family, and....when the bus comes climb on board. :mrgreen:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Born in 1938, had prostate cancer in 2003. Eight weeks of radiation five days a week, took care of it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 am Plenty of people are telling us what causes it - we just don't like the answers, so we ignore them....

Smoking causes lung, throat, esophagus, tongue, bladder, ureter, kidney, among others.
Plastics leach out chemicals known to cause breast cancer and possibly prostate cancer.
All the 'make-it-easy-to-have-sex-without''consequences'' things like Mirena, Nuva-Ring, Implanon, Depo-Provera, and Birth Control Pills, have fake 'hormones' that unlike REAL hormones, cause all sorts of bad things, including cardiovascular disease and stroke - and cancer.
Having sex with more than one person in your life means you almost certainly have HPV virus (which most of us first acquire via simply kissing on the mouth), which causes throat, esophagus, tongue cancers (smoking is a co-factor), penile cancers, vulvar cancers, cervical cancers, vaginal cancers, and rectal cancers.

But life is too convenient and fun when we use/do all of the above, so we don't listen.

This is not to say people don't get cancer if they do none of those things, but the INCREASE in cancer is likely at least in part due to these things.
Thanks AJMD429, its a worry if its plastics and chemicals, dfficult not to use it
Last edited by mickbr on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Pisgah wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 am Although it can strike at any age, cancer is predominantly a disease of old age. Live long enough, and you will develop some form of cancer. It may not be what kills you, but it'll be there.

That was my point though, people use the olden days to try and find an explanation. But the rate of cancer has risen since 1980 when we were living about as long. Also cancers that effect kids and young women has jumped up, so its not about 58+ ages.
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I too have prostate cancer. My father and his brothers, all in their 50's. I'll be 56 next month. I have been on an "active surveillance " regimen for 2 years. PSA every 6 months and biopsy every 18 months. It is slow growing and I'll probably die with it, not from it. Trust your doctor, or find one you trust! Life goes on and you should live it. I've also been diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma stage IV. Six months of chemo and God's help I have been in remission for 18 months. Fight the beast and live your life. You and your family deserve it. MK.
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In addition to Doc saying what he did....I think our world is chock full of chemicals. There's some type of chemical for every need and problem that arises in our lives...FOOD is full of it..from gene altered crops with pesticides to every type of anaimal we eat. Eggs have chemicals..milk..all dairy products....bananas are sprayed with chemicals for them to ripen...on and on and on..

In our area, there are countless supermarkets and THREE that specialize in organic food...and they are packed.

Gasoline is no longer made by the old methods....a buddy who works for a major ccompany tells me they add all kinds of chemicals.

Some people's bodies can handle it....some can't....and no one knows the lottery number we each pic.---6
Model A Uzi’s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJ is right about everything he said.

also many cancers, such as bladder cancer for example, and stomach cancer are far more rare theman they were 70-80 years ago....why? because of improvements in working conditions...in factories in the 30’s thru the 50s toxic chemical exposure was terrific compared to now

except for certain cancers, the age adjusted rate have dramatically declined
cable
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Well I think that the mortality rate has declined, but as the doc says the incidence rate is higher due to those modern influences he mentioned. But anyways, probably not the best forum to post about it. Was just frustrating seeing other fellas and their kin suffering here. And I hope didn't upset anyone about their conditions, past or present.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure why cancer seems to take so many people, or affect so many today. But considering how much money is going into cancer research, treatment, etc., you'd think they'd have found a cure, or a much better treatment by now. But if they did, there'd be a bunch of folks out of work who make huge money now. Might just be me, but I can't help but wonder if they might have a cure, or some way to treat it better, but that would essentially stop all the donations to cancer treatment and research, and they don't want that to happen!
Lost my mother to cancer, and my daughter went through breast cancer, and a double mastectomy in her early 40's. I hate cancer, and find myself frustrated by the fact nothing seems to be getting better, even with all the money thrown at it for decades.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I had throat cancer and often thought about why cancer happens. I smoked until I was 30 and I also breathed Los Angeles air from 1946 to 2009... :shock

My parents were the last generation to have a diet almost entirely of "natural" food and after WWII, more and more "processed" food worked it's way into our diets. Today one must hunt down food that is not processed/coated and chemically washed, steroid dosed, antibiotics and even antidepressant dosed, or genetically modified. I read a bottle of green tea the other day and for ingredients tea was third or fourth followed bu about 15-20 chemicals.

I'm not so sure cancer is a predominately "old age" disease, as I support St. Judes, and they treat a lot of kids...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been told that prostate cancer is inevitable if you live long enough.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV