question, Traded for 336sc 35 Rem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

question, Traded for 336sc 35 Rem

Post by Walker »

Guys, just traded into a late 50s 336sc 35rem with a broken butt plate. https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/f0dc ... 96ee8327d1

Would you guys replace the butt plate with a reproduction or stick a pad on it. It cycles very smoothly and I think the weight should compensate for any recoil. It survived the decades better than Dad's 94 carbine. Also, this is my 1st marlin, what's your favorite peep sight setup?

Thanks. Terry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: question, Traded for 336sc 35 Rem

Post by 3leggedturtle »

A steel Lyman or Redfield peep from the 70's or earlier would be my go to sight. Tidd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If the LOP is good then just replace the plate, try to find an original. If it's short then put a pad on it. Otherwise you might need to cut the stock.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The only advantage to a rubber pad on that gun would be it won't slide if you put it against the wall or shelf and the floor is slick. Hardly any recoil. Plus, the rubber can 'stick' too much to clothing if you are trying to get the gun to shoulder and positioned quickly.

As far as sights, I'm not a 'collector' so while I enjoy the sometimes-superior workmanship of 'vintage' sights, all my Marlins support the Williams FP if they are going to have an aperture sight. The one (FP-94/36 I think) that mounts on the side-tapped holes (if they are present) is a more compact installation, but if your gun isn't tapped, the FP-336 I think is the model that mounts on the top 'scope mount' holes.
Williams FP's.png
This is the FP 94/36 - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71288 ... inum-black and this is the FP 336 - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96815 ... inum-black.

On the long-action Marlins (336/444/45-70) it goes well on the rear, but on the short-action ones (1894) I mount the 336 sight up on the front two holes and it works better and doesn't overhang the rear of the receiver that way. I use the aperture off the bench to sight the guns in, then take the aperture out for hunting and most shooting. The sights are durable and accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

In my opinion it would be a shame to cut the stock at this point, however it is your gun. I have several 336 in 35 and see no reason for a “recoil “ pad on that gun. They are one of my favorites and if interested I can help you sort out some ammo choices for it. Do you reload?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys, I'll be looking for a factory butt plate then.

Doc, your post reminded me I've got a new williams 94/336 FP in my parts box.

Thanks Tom, I'll have to reload nonlead to hunt here until my wife retires. Then we're likely headed to Texas or Oklahoma.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is no recoil problem. I have an old Weaver 3x on it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Here is another rear sight option. http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Here`s my 35 to give ya a idea what it would look like with a Williams.

I see yours is missing the bullseye, should be able to find one easy.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

No you did not get an S/C you got an S/C Deluxe. Highly collectible and very desired. Your gun! but I would highly suggest not cutting that stock. The bullseyes are available from MidwayUSA. That appears to be in excellent condition and I would be willing to give it a thorough appraisal at my place for 15-20 years just to make sure it’s as nice as it looks at first glance. If interested in replacing that bullseye pm me and I will give you a couple pointers I use. Tommy likey
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am
Thanks guys, I'll be looking for a factory butt plate then.

I would advise you to first accurately measure your rifle butt's length and width prior to shopping - or (better yet) take the broken BP with you for size comparison when shopping brick & mortar gunsmiths (your best bet, as any worth their salt will usually have a scrounge box with some BP's).

The reason is that every butt can be a slightly different size due to sanding (but still within specs) - and you wouldn't want to install a BP that's too small (too big can be reduced).

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd look for an original buttplate, but if one doesn't show soon I'd get a repro from Vintage Grips. I'd certainly never do a buttpad.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just noticed that the white spacer under your broken BP has shrunk - a very common occurrence.

If you want to keep the white line spacer, you can easily replace it.

Obtain a new BP spacer via slicing open a white (not semi-transparent) household laundry bleach (Clorox) bottle, and cutting a big hunk out of the side.

Once you have cut out the material, use the new BP as a template to punch the two holes through it so the BP screws can pass into the stock.(be sure the material is left larger all around than the new BP)

After installing it, the white spacer is easily pared down to the stock/BP level with a sharp penknife.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yes you did get a beautiful classic. As far as peep sights go I would get the Williams Fool Proof if you will be using different loads. If you will be using the same load a Williams 5D is less than half the price of the Fool Proof, I have the 5D on several rifles and really like that sight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's not an SC. It has a 24" barrel. It's a 336A-DL. Checkering and sling eyes were on the DL.

Nice looking rifle.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a very nice find in a great cartridge....thanks for sharing... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I don't think I got the right angle on the pic of the entire rifle. Got a couple of better photos added of the barrel marking and barrel length - 20 inches. In the current shape what do these usually go for?
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Pitchy, nice rifle. Someone also suggested Old West Scrounger for vintage butt plates. We're getting a little thin around here on gunsmith shops and I don't blame them. Life's easier east of the state line. Can't wait to see how she shoots. Thanks for the tip on the spacer Pete. And I won't be cutting the stock, wood's too nice.

Thanks Guys
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Very hard to tell exact value from a picture but it looks very nice and in this area it would be $650 up depending on exactly how nice