Price Check: Rem 03A4 Sniper Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Price Check: Rem 03A4 Sniper Rifle

Post by Mainehunter »

So I have an opportunity to acquire an original Remington 03A4 from my brother in-law. It was his father’s rifle that he picked up just before he left the military around the mid 50’s. My brother-in-law and my nephew no longer are interested in it so they asked if I would want it and I said yes but I’m still waiting on the price.

I’ve been doing some research for the past week particularly on CMP forum. Prices seem all over the place so I’m trying to figure out what would be fair.

The only thing that’s not original that I can see from pictures are the scope and rings. The scope which is a Weaver (don’t know the model) and the rings are somewhat high gloss blue not matching the parkerized Redfield base. My brother-in-law insist that’s the way it came when his dad picked it up before he left the service.

I do know the SN# starts with Z4 so it’s an odd one! I’m curious to know what you guys think what it might be worth?

Mainehunter
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price Check: Rem 03A4 Sniper Rifle

Post by marlinman93 »

Some did have Weaver scopes, (M73B1) but they should be serial numbered with an electric engraver. The Weaver scopes were just like the Weaver 330, but according to collectors of these sniper rifles the Weavers used on them did not have a model number on them, even though most people associate the 330 as a sniper scope.
Unertls and Lyman Targetspots were also used.
They should have a turn down bolt to clear the scope, and rings should be parkerized. Scopes were blued. Barrels should all be the 4 groove style, and usually star marked. Stocks should be the pistol grip C Stock.
There are more faked sniper rifles out there than the government ever built. A genuine US sniper 03-A4 can easily go in the $6,000 range.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 pm Some did have Weaver scopes, (M73B1) but they should be serial numbered with an electric engraver. The Weaver scopes were just like the Weaver 330, but according to collectors of these sniper rifles the Weavers used on them did not have a model number on them, even though most people associate the 330 as a sniper scope.
Unertls and Lyman Targetspots were also used.
They should have a turn down bolt to clear the scope, and rings should be parkerized. Scopes were blued. Barrels should all be the 4 groove style, and usually star marked. Stocks should be the pistol grip C Stock.
There are more faked sniper rifles out there than the government ever built. A genuine US sniper 03-A4 can easily go in the $6,000 range.
The stock is the "scant" type and I should of mentioned it does have the cartouche marking of "RIA/EB" which is Rock Island Arsenal rebuilt stamp. It does have the turn down bolt to clear the scope so that's correct. I need to get more info on the scope.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

This is a good site also for Remington info. If it's not dated 1943 or 44 it very likely wasn't a sniper rifle to start it's life.

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/wp-con ... _-2005.pdf
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks! That helps a lot!