ATV scabbard

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NC Long Rifle
Levergunner

ATV scabbard

Post by NC Long Rifle »

I am 66 yrs young and retired last year. Amongst the many changes in my life, I was given a fine 4-wheeler with only 40 hours on it. This is my first ATV. I picked up an ATV trailer that you tow behind it. Now I have found that this combination is mighty handy for covering the 20 acres where I live and grew up on. I spent a good part of my youth helping my Dad put up barbwire on the property and one of my many projects is that of taking down all that barbwire. Most of has fallen down anyway and I never was fond of barbwire. I always have a pistol on me, but would like to incorporate a scabbard on the ATV for my favorite rifle - a 94AE .45LC Trapper.

So. Below is your canvas. How and what kind of scabbard would you incorporate? Show me pics of your ATV arrangement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ATV scabbard

Post by GunnyMack »

Kolpin makes a hard shell scabbard. I have one for mine and it worked well. My quad has been trailered open to Colorado twice. The scabbard survived just fine at 80-90 mph. I've taken it off when not needed.
I'm sure Kolpin has a bracket per manufacturer or a universal bracket.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:03 pm Kolpin makes a hard shell scabbard. I have one for mine and it worked well. My quad has been trailered open to Colorado twice. The scabbard survived just fine at 80-90 mph. I've taken it off when not needed.
I'm sure Kolpin has a bracket per manufacturer or a universal bracket.
Worth the money to protect a valuable firearm. https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product ... prd2171443
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Now that you have an ATV you should get friendly with Rocky Mountain ATV. I buy almost all my quad parts from them and their prices and quality beat almost everyone's. I got my Kolpin 6.0 ATV case from them for $60, but they're $63 now. It has a removable liner and is easy to get the gun in and out of.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... 0-impact-p

I buy tires, and all sorts of items from them. Always cheaper than anywhere else.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the koplins are nice
I just have the typical atv gun racks...
if your going through thick stuff....get the koplin
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm the koplins are nice
I just have the typical atv gun racks...
if your going through thick stuff....get the koplin
I started out with the open rack and quickly decided it was going to be tough on my gun. Even when I wasn't in brush the constant bumps and rough trails made the gun jostle around a little and left wear marks on it. Add some dirt or rain, and it really ends up with even more damage to a rifle. Most of the hard cases will even survive a minor rollover, where a rack means definite damage if you lay your quad over.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got the Kolpin hard scabberd setup on my first Kawasaki Prarie 360 4x4 and it was transferred to my first Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and is now on my second and most likely last 750 Brute Force (it should last me the rest of my life) . But two years ago I added a single gun rack mounted on the front basket . A lot of times during deer season I carry a rifle and a shotgun so this second device comes in handy . Let me add the rack on the front basket also works very well for carrying my weed eater . The Moose brand metal basket on the front of my Kawasaki is big enough to carry my big Stihl chainsaw my medium Stihl saw the oil jug and gas can .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

6point was the church bombing around your family??
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm 6point was the church bombing around your family??
Thanks for asking ! They all live in the northeastern part of Mindanao . The place this bombing took place is on a small island maybe 100 miles off the southwestern corner of Mindanao. When the rebels went crazy in Marawi a year or so ago that was maybe within 100-150 miles of Cagayan de Oro City which is where the majority of my relatives reside . Again I appreciate the concern !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As I said earlier I have a Kolpin scabberd on the side . But my front rack I bolted on a Moose basket then put a single gun rack .
E0694A46-A57D-45B1-8B8B-B88366B70A62.jpeg
Works very well for guns , deer , chain saws and the gun rack can double as a weed eater rack !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NC Long Rifle
Levergunner

Post by NC Long Rifle »

Hey, thanks everyone for your replies and info. I'm not sure just what I want to do about my gun carry on the ATV. I don't do any rough brush busting - at least not yet. With my Winchester Trapper, I may just use a padded tactical scabbard that the gun fits well into and strap it on the front or rear tubular rack carrier. I do like 6's Moose basket and rack. That looks like something I would do.