Have you seen my old buddy latety?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Have you seen my old buddy latety?

Post by jnyork »

I see this guy running around the gunshow every time I go to one, regardless of the location.

He's the fellow all decked out in cammies that the top doesn't match the bottom, cruddy old combat boots with the pants legs tucked in, his version of bloused. Mostly gray hair with a little pony tail sticking out from under his black USMC style "cover". Gray beard with bits of yellow egg yolk stuck in it from yesterday's breakfast, bleary old eyes from too much firewater the night before, along with many many nights before for the last 40 years. Probably hasn't had a shower in 2 weeks. Big ol' beer gut pooched out over his belt with the "Gott mit Uns" buckle. Delivers long boring commentary on every black rifle or milsurp he sees. When asked where he served and with one unit, always replies that it was Top Secret and he will go to jail if he discloses it. Walks out without having spent a cent.

Didn't see him at the last gunshow I went to, kinda miss him. :roll:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Have you seen my old buddy latety?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Have a small show coming up here in Alamogordo the first weekend in February. I'll keep an eye out. Pretty sure I have seen him, too. Does he sometimes carry around a beat-up Mossberg .22 with a "For Sale, $300" flag stuck in the barrel?

:D
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No, but there is a 24yo version of him at the shows around here. Tho he always seems to spend quite a few $'s at every other table, and isn't too obnoxiously know it all.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I went to a fairly large show here last month. 300 tables. He was there with all of His Kin...It was crowded, a lot of the young ins was in a big hurry to see everything before anyone else. several of them bumped into Me, everything there seemed high priced, from ammo to all the tables of military gear. I did buy a pair of mill surplus trigger finger mittens with wool liners. leather palm. to run the snow blower. As I left I thought Boy I'm getting old, the best Gun show I can find is on the internet.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't get to many gun shows anymore, but I have seen someone who resembles that at a show somewhere. Me, I wear jeans and a T-Shirt and cowboy boots with a Bass Pro Shops cap. I should be easy to spot as I look like half of the men in there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Piller, what types of rifles and pistols are selling well in your area? Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Todd, I don't know. I haven't been to a gun show in almost a year. My weekend off and the weekend that gun shows are held are opposite weekends.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad you missed me jnyork. I try very hard NOT to go to AZ... so close to CA... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A long time ago there was a big gun show in Los Angeles ('70s?).I would go and drool and it usually took several hours to go through it and I don't remember any "mall ninjas" or LEO wannabes. Lots of fellers carrying openly. But there were so many guns!. It was closed down by the county (city?) and there were a few smaller ones in So. CA after that, but I stopped going to them. Moved to Oregon and the closest gun show is a 3 hour drive. Ain't been to a gun show in a while... :cry:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mikld, when I lived in the Rogue Valley, I ws known to drive all the way to Lakeview for a relatively tiny gun show. These turned out to be darned good ones -- almost as good as the ones put on by the Rod and Gun Club in Roseburg.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Member of the "Black Ops Long Range Hunter Killer Patrol" ? Yep, ive seen him
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Yeah I've seen that guy usually sitting in the back-seat of a patrol vehicle, hand-cuffed, hurling a mix of profanity, apology, threats, and complaining that the cuffs are to tight...but he earned his ride, either due to a DUI or a DV...yeah I've seen that guy too... :(
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mikld wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 amA long time ago there was a big gun show in Los Angeles ('70s?).I would go and drool and it usually took several hours to go through it and I don't remember any "mall ninjas" or LEO wannabes. Lots of fellers carrying openly. But there were so many guns!. It was closed down by the county (city?) and there were a few smaller ones in So. CA after that, but I stopped going to them. Moved to Oregon and the closest gun show is a 3 hour drive. Ain't been to a gun show in a while... :cry:
Might that have been the "Great Western Gun & Knife Show" at the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona, CA? It died because the county passed an ordinance prohibiting gun sales on county property. LA Times, Dec 1999.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!