Miroku is Manufacturing plant for Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Miroku is Manufacturing plant for Winchester

Post by crs »

I just read this on another forum; posted by the moderator of the lever action rifle forum in response to a shooter not liking the Winchester brand on a rifle made out of country:
==================================================================================

If it'll make you feel any better, Winchester owns Miroku through Winchester's owner - Fabrique Nationale (FN) - why Miroku can stamp "Winchester" on the guns.

FWIW- the fit & finish of Winchester/Miroku's is as good, if not better, than what once came out of the old Winchester Custom Shop in New Haven.

The only thing I have against the Winchester/Miroku's are the lawyer tang safeties that Winchester mandated for copies of Winchester leverguns.

The earlier Browning/Miroku's leverguns, however, have no such issues.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Miroku is Manufacturing plant for Winchester

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Charles. I did not know of the FN connection, but can attest to the very high quality of Miroku guns.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

crs wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 am I just read this on another forum; posted by the moderator of the lever action rifle forum in response to a shooter not liking the Winchester brand on a rifle made out of country:
==================================================================================

If it'll make you feel any better, Winchester owns Miroku through Winchester's owner - Fabrique Nationale (FN) - why Miroku can stamp "Winchester" on the guns.

Actually, Miroku and FN jointly bought out the Browning stock in 1977, and the Winchester name (owned by FN) and Browning shotguns are licensed to Miroku.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well crs I am sure you know some of the old designs are unlikely to exist in today's environment.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd disagree about one point. The fit and finish being equal to the old Custom Shop in New Haven is a bit f an exaggeration. I've seen a number of modern built Miroku High Walls with the corners rounded over on octagon barrels. Something you would never see on a older Winchester from their custom shop. The modern ones appear to be polished on a machine, and machine buffed prior to bluing. All had procedures back in the day.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

My Miroku 1873 is an excellent built rifle. Zero complaints.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm I'd disagree about one point. The fit and finish being equal to the old Custom Shop in New Haven is a bit f an exaggeration. I've seen a number of modern built Miroku High Walls with the corners rounded over on octagon barrels. Something you would never see on a older Winchester from their custom shop. The modern ones appear to be polished on a machine, and machine buffed prior to bluing. All had procedures back in the day.
Lord...I'll second that. Anyone who can't tell the difference does not know what real wood to metal fit is. Standard everyday guns coming out of Winchester, Colt, and Marlin up until about WW1 beats everything made in the last fifty years except custom stock makers or very high end guns.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just to bring everyone up to date:

On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning[9] to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. The production of Model 1885 falling block action, Model 1892 and Model 1886 lever action rifles are produced under licensed agreement by Miroku Corp. of Japan and imported back to the United States by Browning.[10]

In 2008, Fabrique Nationale announced that it would produce Model 70 rifles at its plant in Columbia, South Carolina. In 2013, assembly was moved to Portugal[11]

In the summer of 2010, Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN) resumed production of the Winchester model 1894 and the evolution of the Winchester 1300, now called the Winchester SXP.[12][13]

A number of gun cleaning kits, Chinese folding knives,[14] tools, and other accessories are also now sold under the Winchester trademark

From Wikpedia
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I like the Miroku's better than the originals.