JB-Weld fans will like this

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

JB-Weld fans will like this

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: JB-Weld fans will like this

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, locktite for wood and JB for steel. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yeah, JB Weld is my go-to product. One Marlin 336 had the "Marlin jam#1" JB weld fix done over 20 years ago and is going strong.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

That was pretty good, I can’t believe the video received that many thumbs down.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those were awfully small surface areas...I can't think of a real world application where you would want to use any of that on such small surfaces and require that much integrity. In Jr. High Wood shope, using the old yellow wood glue, and clamping it those joints would break almost anyplace but where it was glued/clamped.
When I used to spend lots of time in a fibreglass boat in Puget Sound, I carried a package of two part putty...used it a couple times. Best stuff in the world. I always have JB Weld, duct tape, and WD40 on hand.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 pm Those were awfully small surface areas...I can't think of a real worldI always have JB Weld, duct tape, and WD40 on hand.
DITTO!!!, and loctite... But, Gorilla makes a specific glue for wood... and I always have that on hand also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

When building bows Tite Bond III is usually recommended.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Let's just say the joints were designed to fail.
A butt joint in wood is never going to be strong without some kind of reinforcement.
As for gluing pvc pipe without a coupling is never going to stay together.
The flexseal , I haven't had very good results with the spray can stuff.
The caulk type stuff is for large flat areas, no load applications. However there is a caulk product called FLEXX that is truly awesome- it sticks to glass and stays stuck. If it sticks to glass itll stick to anything!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:50 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 pm Those were awfully small surface areas...I can't think of a real worldI always have JB Weld, duct tape, and WD40 on hand.
DITTO!!!, and loctite... But, Gorilla makes a specific glue for wood... and I always have that on hand also!
There's a learning curve on Gorilla Glue....it expands so much that it pooches out at the joint and is very, very hard to remove.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually the expansion is why it works so well. As for the clean up dont wait until all the foam is dry. Best to get it when just tacky. Use a razor blade as a scraper, chisel works too if its SHARP.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've had mixed results with JB.....and when the results were not good it was usually my fault...as not waiting long enough..they say 24 hours but a week is better...surface preparation is of utmost importance as is temperature.... temps on the project and curing temps.

Now.....if JB Weld sees this I will get a commercial out of it so I'm leaving out the details.

I had an 1892 Winchester in 44-40 with a bulge about two inches down from the muzzle. Good sized bulge that was noticeable from the outside but only with finger feel. The rifle was an excellent shooter despite the bulge. It bugged the hell out of me everytime I looked down.

I filled in the bulge with JB Weld....let it cure......after the work was done you could not tell there was any issue with it whatsoever by looking at it with a bore light....nice shiny rifling. I'm sure a bore scope would show it but not the naked eye.

That was 1100 rounds ago.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm I had an 1892 Winchester in 44-40 with a bulge about two inches down from the muzzle. Good sized bulge that was noticeable from the outside but only with finger feel. The rifle was an excellent shooter despite the bulge. It bugged the hell out of me everytime I looked down.

I filled in the bulge with JB Weld....let it cure......after the work was done you could not tell there was any issue with it whatsoever by looking at it with a bore light....nice shiny rifling. I'm sure a bore scope would show it but not the naked eye.

That was 1100 rounds ago.---6
Wow.....how did you trim/bore it back to normal...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I too am really curious about how you did that.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Does JB weld have an expiry date?
I had some for some years and when I actually used it, it didn't work :(
My first child - '94 30-30
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! I got friends again!

For answers, please remit $6,000 payable to the "Pitchy Pitch Pencil Club". Payments can also be made to the "North American Pencil Manufacturing Inc.".....Pitchy is President. GunnyMack is VP......Jay (Old Win.) is trustee and naturally, I'm treasurer.

OK.....it took several coatings........keep in mind that this bulge was only a couple of inches down from the muzzle.....ones farther down would be more difficult, if not impossible......I figured this out myself so maybe someone can improve on it. I hold all rights. :D

..after degreasing get or make a tool of some sort and smear the JB into the bulge...let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then get a rod with the proper tight jag and push it down, kind of evening it out. Next day, before it gets real hard, do it again. Next day do it again but this time instead of using a jag, get a cylindrical piece of lead about an inch long that's a couple of thousandths over groove diameter.......gently tap down.......the lead cylinder with form with the rifling twist so as you pass it over the bad part, it's still being driven in the twist.......this will form the rifling in the epoxy and will be continuous as the front of the lead will catch before the rear loses contact.

This forms the rifling and makes it look like one continuous land and groove

Let's it sit for a couple of weeks in a warm dry area...I like behind the wood stove. Smart people may do something different but I'm a redneck who uses common sense. Ain't many people like that left anymore.

Shoot it....light loads.....I use 6 grains of Bullseye......Because my bulge was near the muzzle the heat from the cartridge combusting was minimal by the time it reached the end.

Works for me.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I saw you were filling a bulge I was a bit confused. Then I realized it was the bore side you filled. Then I scratched my head about that until I realized you were going to 'lap' the JB down. Good solution and as they say you thought outside the box! However if the gun shot well before I probably would have left it alone.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a Jep CJ5. Engine was tired so he bought a short block 258. We pulled the engine, pulled the good stuff off to reinstall on the short block. All was well for a few months when the engine started loosing oil. Seems the company that did the short block was filling cracks with JB WELD. Apparently JB, engine oil and heat don't mix. He got the short block replaced free and we changed the engine a second time.

JB is good stuff in the right situation but it's not the answer for everything like duct tape is ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Been a JB weld fan for many decades. If everything is clean it never failed me. Occasionally I didn't do a good job degreasing, and it still held up longer than expected. After a 2nd try with better cleaning it worked forever. I've got some things I've JB Welded together many years ago, and still going strong.
Great YT video test, and all the thumbs down must be from employees of the losers companies.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/