Rolling Block project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Rolling Block project

Post by marlinman93 »

I feel like a kid on a trip asking, "Are we there yet"?
Well the answer is YES! The postman delivered a nice big shipping crate a few minutes ago, and I couldn't get it open fast enough! Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Blue really outdid himself! (Is that really possible?) His colors on the action are as good as it gets, and spot on for a Remington!

I let Al do the polishing on the barrel since it wasn't fitted when I sent it to him. He always does a little extra touch up work anyway, and this barrel is perfection! As is his usual great rust bluing! The work done by Pat at C Sharps to fit and chamber is equally great!

Wood is some of the leftovers from Remington's late 1990's run. This is their high grade custom shop wood.

Slipped the stocks on just to get a picture.

Barrel is a 34" #3.5 weight Green Mountain .40 caliber. It is chambered in the old .40-50 Sharps Straight.
Still need to mount up the wood I fitted prior to sending it to Al Springer, but I'll get that taken care of this weekend.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rolling Block project

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok now I'm drooling! That's a beautiful project you have assembled!
Like a moron I let a decent rolling block action walk away years ago, kick myself every time I see one.
Remington custom shop always had great wood!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:22 pm Ok now I'm drooling! That's a beautiful project you have assembled!
Like a moron I let a decent rolling block action walk away years ago, kick myself every time I see one.
Remington custom shop always had great wood!
Thanks!
I was lucky to get the last set of custom shop wood that Numrich had in stock two years ago! This project threw me some curves. First action had a crack and got tossed. 2nd action was too thin for my comfort level and will be used on a smaller caliber. The third was an $80 action a friend had, so kept the cost for this build down lower than any of the Italian based Rolling Block clones. It's an 1867 Black Powder action, and I left it as a round top for strength and the look of the early Sporting Rifles.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Please keep us posted with load development.
Great case colors by the way!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm Please keep us posted with load development.
Great case colors by the way!
Al is one of the best restoration guys in the country! And less expensive than anyone else doing work this good.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Simply outstanding! I can't wait for pics of the finished product and a first range report.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome, very nice indeed. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks. I hope it shoots a little better than my other original Rolling Block in .40-50SS. That one has a good barrel, but it is over 135 years old, so not minty bore. I hope this one with a new bore, and faster 1:16" twist will shoot even better.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I am just tickled that you chose .40-50 for your chambering. Unless a feller needs to lob slugs "way over yonder," this one will get it done with minimal fuss.
I have three rolling blocks at hand right now: a rearsenaled Swede chambered to .50-70 in a Green Mountain barrel by Taylor Machine that needs bluing; a Danish rolling block altered to accept .45-70; and an old sportered Swede military in 12,17 X 44.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Bill. You'd be very happy with Al's work on rust bluing your barrel. His prices are very reasonable, and never an issue with quality. Shipping the barreled action back and forth for him to blue it might cost as much as the rust bluing.
The .40-50SS is a wonderful smokeless powder chambering. It works much better with smokeless than it ever did with BP. My twist rate is 1:16" so should work even better than the old 1:20" they originally used. I'll be shooting 300 or350 gr. RCBS CSA molded bullets. They work well in my Roller in .40-65 Win. with the same twist rate.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

If it shoots as good as it looks, you'll get one-hole groups! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well heck you coulda gotten some decent wood !

All BS aside I like that wood .

I had a desire a few years back when I was in PA a lot to snag a RB action up there and have it rebarreled into 444 but never went thru with it . You're stirring those thoughts in me again :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't even like rolling blocks... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Beautiful Vall. Congratulations.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice!
What a fun rifle that will be. And a looker to boot!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've liked Rolling Blocks for many decades. Even before my love affair with Marlin Ballard rifles. Earlier because they were affordable, and plentiful, so I could afford them when all the kids were still home and funds were tighter. But a pistol grip original was always what I desired the most. I've got probably 20 Rolling Block Sporting Rifles, but all are straight grip. This one fills a void I've had for a very long time. Still not an original, but at least it's mostly Remington parts except for the barrel.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

You certainly have one handsome rifle there, I can appreciate the real craftsmanship that has gone Into your project..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am I've liked Rolling Blocks for many decades. Even before my love affair with Marlin Ballard rifles. Earlier because they were affordable, and plentiful, so I could afford them when all the kids were still home and funds were tighter. But a pistol grip original was always what I desired the most. I've got probably 20 Rolling Block Sporting Rifles, but all are straight grip. This one fills a void I've had for a very long time. Still not an original, but at least it's mostly Remington parts except for the barrel.
How many Hepburn’s are in that 20 or so ?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have four Hepburns. They are Engraved Midrange .45-70, DST Midrange .40-70SS, #3 Hunter .40-50SS, and Deluxe DST Match B .32-40 Ballard.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:57 pm I have four Hepburns. They are Engraved Midrange .45-70, DST Midrange .40-70SS, #3 Hunter .40-50SS, and Deluxe DST Match B .32-40 Ballard.
Nice ! My dearly departed friend had a Hepburn in 40/70SS , nonidea which model but I liked that gun . Tried to buy it from his son later but had no luck .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

From my experience looking at a lot of Hepburn rifles over decades, the .40-70SS seems to have been a very popular round to chamber them in! They certainly sold a bunch in that caliber.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Vall,
Good seeing you this morning and thank you for letting me handle the roller. The rifle looks more impressive than your photos show. Al's case coloring really does match up with the Remington buttplate.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nice to see you make another OAC show too! Sure love that factory engraved S&W too!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Is this the fellow you used ? http://smbgunrestorations.com/page3.html I think I might wanna get the action and forend iron re color cased on the Parker DH I have coming .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:42 am You certainly have one handsome rifle there, I can appreciate the real craftsmanship that has gone Into your project..... :mrgreen:
+1
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm Is this the fellow you used ? http://smbgunrestorations.com/page3.html I think I might wanna get the action and forend iron re color cased on the Parker DH I have coming .
Yes, that's Al's website. You wont be disappointed with his work, or his pricing. Give him a call and tell him Vall sent you.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm Is this the fellow you used ? http://smbgunrestorations.com/page3.html I think I might wanna get the action and forend iron re color cased on the Parker DH I have coming .
Yes, that's Al's website. You wont be disappointed with his work, or his pricing. Give him a call and tell him Vall sent you.
We’ve been using a place in Ohio if memory serves , but if this gentleman is a little more adept at doing kind of “original” Parker style I’d consider giving him the business . I’ll most likely send it to him prepped as that’s what we do with the other place . Since Dale Edmunds is no longer taking new work to bring Damascus barrel patterns back out and I never was big on Bachelder I’ll let my gunsmith buddy bring the pattern back out .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Probably Color Case Co. in Ohio. They've been around a long time, but their prices have gotten up there with the others, and not the kind of colors I like personally. Too gaudy, and just not correct for many older guns. Some places seem to just do one style of case color and use it for every brand of gun they color.