Winchester dropped the ball

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester dropped the ball

Post by HawkCreek »

Anybody else think that Winchester dropped the ball this year? It's the 125 year anniversary of the Model 94 and they offer a couple limited run specials at over $2000 a piece. Instead they tout their "new" cartridge that seems to be pretty similar to their old .351, granted I see the market they are going for there but it seems like lever gunners were forgotten about.

Doesn't give me much hope for next year, the 125 year anniversary John Brownings last and greatest lever gun, the 1895.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester dropped the ball

Post by jdad »

They didn't drop the ball, they just understand the market. It's business.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pmThey didn't drop the ball, they just understand the market. It's business.
As much as it pains me to admit it, (for I would have liked Winchester to do a better job of acknowledging their #1 selling firearm)... jdad's right... they have to cater to the marketplace, not a bunch of sentimental ol' fools!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'll be 36 next month, I may be a fool but I wont agree to being old yet. I understand they are trying to get a piece of the AR market but there is also a large levergun market out there they are sort of neglecting.

I was happy to see they are producing the 1895 in .30-06 and .405 for SHOT strange that they went with the rifle version though as those are easily found on gunbroker and such places while the SRC versions are rare and start a bidding war whenever they pop up.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Per Hawk Creek, "Doesn't give me much hope for next year, the 125 year anniversary John Brownings last and greatest lever gun, the 1895."

Well, the 1895 anniversary is at least something to anticipate. Maybe it will be something to increase interest in my Miroku-made unfired Deluxe 1895 .405.
I will plan to celebrate killing things with my two "shooter" .405 rifles(1895 and Simson DR). :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

jdad wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pm They didn't drop the ball, they just understand the market. It's business.

I see your point but I'd point out that Browning, Henry, Rossi, Mossberg, Marlin as well as a couple European manufacturers have demonstrated that the lever action market is still quite healthy and viable. When you factor in the law structures of places like Australia, Mexico, EU, Africa (whose rising prosperity is resulting in a sport hunting phenomeon and recreational shooting culture) as well as states like California, I think there is still a life in the lever gun market.

Wm.

P.S. I have been reading about Claifornia compliant AR platforms and honestly wonder if a lever action 357 mag is more tactically relevanent. Not to mention socially acceptable (which as much as we may cringe at the PC angle of it, is important in the jury trial system.)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

"I'd point out that Browning, Henry, Rossi, Mossberg, Marlin as well as a couple European manufacturers have demonstrated that the lever action market is still quite healthy and viable."

If you look at the price point of the 4 you mention above, they all are well below Winchester. Also, most of the 4 above have a very diverse product line other than leverguns.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Winchester still has a pretty diverse catalog with the model 70, shotguns, and rimfires. I'm not current on Winchesters price points anymore but I'd be surprised if it was significantly different then Marlin or Browning on comparable guns.

My point is the lever action platform is still very viable and perhaps could even be considered ideal in certain locations due to laws inhibiting semi auto ownership. If I could not have a AR or AK or similar black rifle for serious social rifle work, my first choice would be a Winchester 92 in 357 mag.

Wm
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My point is the lever action platform is still very viable and perhaps could even be considered ideal in certain locations due to laws inhibiting semi auto ownership.

Agree 100%