Damko Martini Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Damko Martini Rifles

Post by TANGO 4C »

These may be of interest to some here:

Standard Model: https://www.damko-usa.com/damko-martini ... -p-33.html

Peep Sight Model: https://www.damko-usa.com/damko-martini ... -p-36.html

wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Damko Martini Rifles

Post by wm »

I always wanted to take a Martini like that and rebarrel/chamber it to 32 S&W long like C.E. Harris did as a sort of next step up from a 22 rimfire small game hunter. But a 25-35 Winchester might be just as good for my needs.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Wm
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Spiffy!, thank you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I like their cartridge line up: 25/35, 30/30, and especially the 30/40 Krag. 44 mag just doesn't seem right to me,not period correct.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The peep sight version would be my choice, but I'd prefer 303 British. I guess the 30-30 would do.
The 6 to 7 pound trigger pull would definitely have to be corrected. Waaaaayy to heavy for me.
I wonder what the the price will be?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

J Miller wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:34 am

Joe
I wondered that as well. I guess it may be in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" category...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 am
J Miller wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:34 am

Joe
I wondered that as well. I guess it may be in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" category...
Yep, most likely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

Greetings everyone!

We're very excited to see such interest in the new Martini rifles. As a matter of fact you guys are the first to know that we have just announced pricing!

Our new Martini Rifles will be available starting at $1699.00 for the standard version. We don't currently have any pricing available on the website but we hope to finalize everything soon.

If you have any questions at all about the Martini please feel free to ask away.
DAMKO
DK Precision Outdoor, LLC
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Interesting news. And I wish them success.

Noticed that the trigger was 6-7 pounds and thought a bit heavy. Now, if this is a replica of the military Martini-Henry rifles, there was no safety and that might be the reason for the heavy trigger pull?

As for calibres and overall weight, 6 pounds in a .30-40 seems light, but about right for a .30-30.' Sorta' surprised me that there was no mention of a .22 LR or a .303 British. Problem with a .303 might be rifle weight versus calibre.

Have no idea if the quality will be commensurate with the MSRP or the "street price". My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) is that there will be a limited demand for these rifles and this will have a bearing on the price. I have a 1884 Mark III Martini-Henry, 577-450 and always find it takes some adjustment to shouldering it. Due to the action design, the trigger is/seems too far forward. It takes some time to become accustomed to shooting. Heard other Martini-Henry shooter make the same comment.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

Ray Newman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:31 pm
Noticed that the trigger was 6-7 pounds and thought a bit heavy. Now, if this is a replica of the military Martini-Henry rifles, there was no safety and that might be the reason for the heavy trigger pull?
We're currently displaying the rifle at the 2019 SHOT show in Las Vegas. We're hoping to get some excellent hands-on feedback from enthusiasts regarding things just like this. We're already speaking with our engineers about possible changes to trigger pull weight. We're now thinking about 4-5 lbs.
' Sorta' surprised me that there was no mention of a .22 LR or a .303 British. Problem with a .303 might be rifle weight versus calibre.
This is just the sort of info we're looking to get from the enthusiast community. We will initially offer the martini rifle in 25-35, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, and .44 rem mag. Which one of these calibers does everyone find interesting? Which ones did we miss but should have included (ie .303)?
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Any chance that Damko will consider selling actions to people who want to build up custom rifles?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm Any chance that Damko will consider selling actions to people who want to build up custom rifles?
Hey marlinman93,

We're seeing a lot of interest in people wanting just the action for custom builds. You bet we're listening and passing all of these suggestions onto our engineers!
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

DAMKO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:20 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm Any chance that Damko will consider selling actions to people who want to build up custom rifles?
Hey marlinman03,

We're seeing a lot of interest in people wanting just the action for custom builds. You bet we're listening and passing all of these suggestions onto our engineers!
Excellent!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DAMKO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pm
We will initially offer the martini rifle in 25-35, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, and .44 rem mag.

Which one of these calibers does everyone find interesting ? - [.25-35, 30.30 & .30-40]

Which ones did we miss but should have included (ie .303) ? - [.22LR, .303 British, .357 Rem Mag, .375Win/.38-55, .444]

We hope you get positive responses & plenty of publicity @ S.H.O.T. !

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm
We hope you get positive responses & plenty of publicity @ S.H.O.T. !
Thank you for the well-wishes! We are seeing quite a bit of buzz. The more people talk about us, the more exposure we can get, and the higher the likelihood that we can offer these rifles in enough shapes and sizes to fit everyone who wants one!
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

DAMKO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pm
We're currently displaying the rifle at the 2019 SHOT show in Las Vegas. We're hoping to get some excellent hands-on feedback from enthusiasts regarding things just like this. We're already speaking with our engineers about possible changes to trigger pull weight. We're now thinking about 4-5 lbs.
' Sorta' surprised me that there was no mention of a .22 LR or a .303 British. Problem with a .303 might be rifle weight versus calibre.
This is just the sort of info we're looking to get from the enthusiast community. We will initially offer the martini rifle in 25-35, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, and .44 rem mag. Which one of these calibers does everyone find interesting? Which ones did we miss but should have included (ie .303)?

A .303 chambering may create some interest in Commonwealth countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Last edited by TANGO 4C on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had a Martini action chambered in .256 Winchester mag years ago. That was a beautiful cartridge for it. (.357 necked down to .256 like the ruger hawkeye.)
You could also do the same with the .22 Remington jet.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not sure how much interest there would be from Australia. At $1699 US, the price converted to AU dollars would be $2144. Add to that a 10% goods and service tax, plus the usual rip off hikes that occur whenever anything gun related comes to us from overseas and I don't see us having any change out of about $3000.
We have a good supply of Martini's available in 22lr, 22 hornet, 218 Mashburn, 222 rimmed, 310 cadet, 450/577and also 303, which are already in good shootable condition, or good for donor actions. I've also seen them here in 357 magnum 32-40 and 45-70.

Me, personally, I would prefer one in a caliber useful in a one shot one kill role, as the Martini is not going to give you the opportunity for a quick follow up shot if you are hunting deer in the bush. Here in Oz the 22 hornet, 218 Mashburn, and 222 rimmed Martinis would see a lot of action over rabbit warrens, or spotlighting foxes from a vehicle. Sitting over a rabbit warren or prairie dog town with a Martini and a box full of 219 zippers would be entertaining.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

DAMKO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pmWhich one of these calibers does everyone find interesting?
The 4 choices on the web site are all good. Among them, I'd likely select .30-30.

My .30-40 is 6-3/4 lb and I find the recoil quite acceptable, but I hand load to the original specs, 220 @ 2000 from 30" (which my rifle has). Factory ammo in 6 lb might be rather stiff, but not brutal.

In a single shot, I feel 24" is a bit stumpy; 26" is always a good minimum. However, among single shots, the relatively long Peabody action doesn't look silly with 24", I must admit. Perhaps standardize on 24" and offer 28" as an extra cost option.

A 4 lb trigger pull would be adequate. The price mentioned is reasonable.

The DAMKO introduction is very good news. For those wanting an even older look, exposed hammer Peabody rifles are available new from Wisconsin.
Last edited by KWK on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

wm wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:07 pm I always wanted to take a Martini like that and rebarrel/chamber it to 32 S&W long like C.E. Harris did as a sort of next step up from a 22 rimfire small game hunter. But a 25-35 Winchester might be just as good for my needs.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Wm
I’m starting my build of a 32 S&W long using a handi rifle doner. As posted before maybe offer actions or rifles in 22 25 30 32 and so on with no chamber cut so the buyer make whatever they want. Also offer barrel D&T for scope base.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Is this a full sized action or something slightly smaller?

No safety? That's what always limited my hunting use with my Martini's, I didn't care for walking around with a empty gun or sitting around with the action open. :(
Slow is just slow.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

It does have a safety, a push button safety at the top of the trigger guard on the right side
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Interesting indeed. The 25-35 Ackley Improved would be a nifty coyote rifle in that action, easily done by running in a finish reamer in that caliber. Damko, welcome aboard here at the Leverguns Community Forum. We appreciate you taking the time to listen to our input. We wish you success in this endeavor. You might also search Facebook for the Martini Henry group there and see if the administrators would allow you to interact with that community as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

Good morning, all.

We taking lots of notes based on your feedback on caliber, weight, barrel length, and trigger pull.

To answer a question: The action is sized right between a full-size and cadet-sized action and our engineer assures us that we can chamber it in .303 very easily if the demand is there. The trigger also has an independent sear and trigger block on the lever to make it even safer.

Keep those comments and questions coming and we'll do our best to address them all!
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

.38-55 would be another great choice in calibers; especially in a heavier barrel.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Any idea as to then these rifles might be on dealers' shelves??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

Ray Newman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm Any idea as to then these rifles might be on dealers' shelves??
The word around here is that we're shooting for late Q1-early Q2.
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I think .41 magnum,6.5 x 55 and 7 mm Mauser would be nice.Was also wondering if the rear peep sight would fit a martini enfield ?
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

model55 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:00 pm Was also wondering if the rear peep sight would fit a martini enfield ?
Hello there model55! I just asked the engineers about your question. And the answer is: Unfortunately no.

The back of the DAMKO action body is 5 deg. steeper than the martini enfield thus we would not be recommended using the DAMKO peep sights.

It will be interesting to see how many request we get for "aftermarket" parts for the original rifles.

I hope this answers your question!
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I always had an itch for a single shot 25-35. But getting one in 30-40 Krag, boring it out to 35 Win has my attention!

Mainehunter
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Thank you for the reply, hope to see more from you down the road . Good luck.
GUN-DMC
Levergunner

Post by GUN-DMC »

Do you guys plan on exporting these rifles to Australia?
DAMKO
Levergunner

Post by DAMKO »

GUN-DMC wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:29 am Do you guys plan on exporting these rifles to Australia?
Hey there GUN-DMC,

We don't currently have any plans to export them directly to Australia. However there is the possibility that these could get picked up by an international distributor that may offer them in Australia.

I hope that answers your question!
DAMKO
Firearms Manufacturer
White City, Oregon, USA
(+1)541.826.3743
www.damko-usa.com
argie1891
Levergunner

Post by argie1891 »

cadetlong1.2.JPG
I have started saving my money I want one in 25-35 I quarter bore cast bullet rifle. 2 of my shooting buddies and I imported 14 martini cadet rifles from down under in 2000 I have 2 of them. I left them in the 310 caliber but did re stock and shorten the barrel on one of them because it was in pretty rough shape. The 310 cartridge is a pretty good cartridge and once you figure out how it is easy to reload. My other rifle has been left as issued. My Grandkids love the little rifle that I cut down and re stocked I am going to try to post a picture. argie1891 aka joe g.
DSC01458.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.