Did you here the one about the 59 year old college student?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Did you here the one about the 59 year old college student?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Dat be me! I graduated high school in 1978, haven't been to school since except for annual week long management seminars when I worked for the State of Hawai'i. I'm at the tail-end of industrial injury rehab, and the state decided they wanted me to return to school so I just started my first semester of college at age 59. I have a full spring semester of prerequisites- math, English compositions, etc., and in the fall I start my major (should I pass English and math): Architectural, Engineering and CAD Technologies. This is 2 year associates degree course. The State has said if I don't pass with a C average they cut all my WC benefits and close my case so they gave me incentive to pass at gunpoint. My VR counselors thinks the State is setting me up to fail so they can close my case quickly. I'm not through with PT or epidural injections so I have to schedule these in after classes. There is no campus parking so I catch the bus to and from the college and an hours ride each way. I used to design piers, order all the materials, then build them in-house as construction and maintenance superintendent. I did ALL my math using a calculator. Now I have to relearn math using just paper, pencil, and my brain. NO calculators or smart-phones allowed in class. It's allot harder than I remembered, and if I should graduate in 3 years (62) I doubt I'll use these relearned math skills again trusting a calculator more than my aging foggy brain. Anyone want to hire a 62 year old CAD greenhorn 3 years from now? Didn't think so. :lol: By the way I'm older than most of the teachers, and my fellow students parents. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Did you here the one about the 59 year old college student?

Post by fordwannabe »

I went back to nursing school at 35. The instructors were used to 18-19!year old young women, whom they could intimidate with things like I will put that on your record. The whole time I was thinking lady MY record says I can drive a 80,000 pound vehicle with a stretch trailer into Nee York City to help build a stadium, my record says I can own machine guns, and suppressors, you go ahead and mark down something dumb on my record.
College is way more fun when you know the smoke they be blowing up your stuff.😎
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

And I thought I was one of the "old guys" when I returned to college after the military detour. But I remember that my attitude was much better at age 27 than it had been at 17. I'll bet you have a really fantastic attitude by age 59 Ji!

And a lot better work ethic than your competition :D .
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My two least favorite classes in college were you guessed it math and English. All I thought about were hunting, fishing, and surfing. I don't do much of any of those activities nowadays with my bum back and lack of energy so much easier to concentrate on lessons today even though my mind not as sharp as when I was a kid. My math teacher is a brilliant professor from China who arrived in the US in 2000 with absolutely no knowledge of English. She still speaks with a strong Cantonese accent, and speaks very fast so I have difficultly comprehending what she is saying. They do offer tutoring so I just starting taking advantage of that just to verify what i am learning, that I am following her train of thought correctly.

I actually look forward to English like I never did before. In high school I got straight As in Hawaiian Language but actually flunked one semester of English and passed with a C-. My English composition teacher is very enthusiastic and loves his job so very easy to follow. Amazing what difference 40+ years can make. :wink: College unlike high school everyone is there to learn so the atmosphere much more conducive to learning. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good luck Ji !
I'm 10 yrs your junior and have debated going back to school. But do I really want to write papers again? Deal with the left attitudes? I'm sure there would be many other frustrations as well. Post pics when you graduate! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 am I went back to nursing school at 35. The instructors were used to 18-19!year old young women, whom they could intimidate with things like I will put that on your record. The whole time I was thinking lady MY record says I can drive a 80,000 pound vehicle with a stretch trailer into Nee York City to help build a stadium, my record says I can own machine guns, and suppressors, you go ahead and mark down something dumb on my record.
College is way more fun when you know the smoke they be blowing up your stuff.😎
Yep. Having a pharmacy degree and license 'to fall back on' was what made me (barely, sometimes) able to stomach the mind-games and nonsense that infest medical school...! If you ever saw the movie 'The Paper Chase' it is about Law School, but shows the same kind of stuff (like hiding reference books so other students couldn't get at them) that went on.

My wife says nursing school was so many 'papers' to write it drive her nuts, but like you, her age and overall don't-mess-with-me attitude kept her going. She actually helped the younger classmates by calling out fairly bluntly a couple teachers who weren't doing their job.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was pretty sure I could handle nursing school wasn’t so sure nursing school could handle me. When I see Pelosi I call it Pelosi. Back to the original thread. Go get them Ji.
It really can be fun with the right attitude.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I went to Pharmacy School as a fresh out of the Army 23 year old. The 19 and 20 year olds thought the professors were to be worshipped. Most of the professors had never been outside of their academic careers. It was funny to me that our Valedictorian passed by 1 point on the N.A.B.P.L.E.X. exam to get her license. All of us older students passed with better scores because we studied and used information available outside of the school.

Ji, use your life skills to find your pathway to learning the material. Yes, tutoting can help.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm Ji, use your life skills to find your pathway to learning the material. Yes, tutoting can help.
+1 - both counts.

Good for you Ji! :D
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mahalo gentlemen for all your words of encouragement. So far I haven't heard anything political on campus but then again I'm never listening for it either. I guess when 99% of the population is blue (remember Elvis hit "Blue Hawai'i) there's nothing to debate. I found out one fellow student hunts as one of his essays was about his hunting adventure. Teacher did make a quick remark about his not personally believing in cruelty to animals when asked by another student about his opinion on hunting but he had no problem if a student chose the subject of hunting to write about. I didn't feel like countering his comment about "cruelty to animals" as he is actually open to the subject and not pushing any politics. I just want to complete this semester with the highest grade this old brain can produce in it's current condition. I tend to forget things within a matter of minutes so I do my best to take notes. :oops:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a full career in manufacturing and took a job teaching in the local Jr. College. Went back to school to get a teaching degree at 50. I enjoyed the experience of spending my summers in school, living in a dorm and eating in the cafeteria with the football team. You can do it man!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Go for it Ji !! I know you can do it...

I'm curious about the major, is that a high demand field? I have no idea. I read somewhere the medical field is insatiable, but I have no idea. I probably couldn't get a job as a burger flipper.

I took some college classes a few years ago and got a cert in lan administration, something I was already doing. I did way better than when I dropped out of school a half-century ago. So I KNOW you can do better than that. I mean, look how Young you are, and motivated.

Grizz sends
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Parts of the medical field are overrun with job seekers. There are about 120 new graduates for each 100 jobs as a Pharmacist. Too many new schools.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks! I'll shy away from that zone !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

And in Pennsylvania we can’t get or in many cases keep up with the demand in Registered Nurses. One facility I monitor and that just can’t keep staff (I wonder why) is paying new grads no experience $45 an hour to start with a $10,000.00 sign on bonus after 6 months plus shift diff and weekend bonuses. If I wasn’t so far into the retirement system with the State I would be GONE. Food for thought JI.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

" Don't let the Old Bastards Wear You Down"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

OK, countdown to Ji's graduation. We should all head to the islands for a big blowout to help our brother celebrate. We all know he's got it.

I've had a conversation with several people of late about the quality of some of our teachers. Three people I know have had a terrible time with algebra. I'm getting the feeling that it's not the students. Eisenstein said, "if you can't explain your concept to a 3 year old, you don't understand it yourself." I'm beginning to think there are teachers out there today that don't understand their own subject.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ji,

I'm ten years your senior and if I could, I'd go back to college to get my advanced degree... I'd study to be a thief... no, no... I meant politician... no, no.. lawyer... AW hell, I was right first... THIEF.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I plan on going back for a law degree when I retire. I have some plans on being a thorn in the side of a bunch of politicians. It sounds like fun now, and may irritate them into doing some good.
D. Brian Casady
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Are you a trend setter on campus with your Hawaiian shorts and cowboy boots? :D

You will get through English, just write about what you are passionate about.You have have a lifetime of knowledge in your brain on subjects you like, no reseach needed.
Good Luck!
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Good for you! I've got a friend I graduated high school with (1975...so that guy is old) who plays guitar in the southern rock band Molly Hatchet. He is in his last semester of Law School right now. He attends class in between touring and playing shows. He told me he'd been on the other side of the contracts for 40 years, and he was specializing in Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property so he can advise others coming up in the industry..... so you're never too old for college.
gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

Well, you've got me beat, but only by 10 years. I started in the fall at the age of 48. I acquired some credits over the years through the USMC and so that helped some. So far I'm mildly disappointed in some aspects of it and pleased with others.

I'm at a state college and it has multiple campuses. It's amazing to me to see the differences in campus relative to its location. The campus that is in a rural area is the one I prefer. Staff, administration, and students all seem more respectful. The other campus I attend is in a metro area and the kids are spoiled brats. Poor work ethic, as evidenced by attendance and participation, and their ideas manifest like you would suspect. The "something for nothing crowd" I call them.

All I can tell you, after completing my first semester and starting on my second, is to enjoy it as best you can. I'm currently taking 4 classes and a lab. One of those classes is online and the others are me sitting in a chair at the college. I generally keep to myself, but on occasion, I have the opportunity to add my 2 cents in and it's usually accepted due to experience. The kids generally take my cues off of things better than the professors sometimes as well. I try to encourage them when I can. Most of them need it and seems to me that they don't have a lot of support at home. Almost all are from broken homes somewhere along the line.

Good luck.