Model 71 Winchester mag tube removal and also sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Model 71 Winchester mag tube removal and also sights

Post by coyote nose »

Cant find anything here using the search function.
1. Is the magazine tube on the 71 threaded into the receiver like the late Model 1886 Winchester tubes were? Having a tough time getting mine out and am afraid to start the rather severe twisting motion that may be necessary. If so I'll turn a brass rod to the ID of the tube, slip it in, drill/thread a small hole for a brass screw that goes thru the mag cap screw hole and can transfer torque for my unscrewing effort. No need to do this work if it isnt threaded in.
2. Have seen quite a few Model 71s with Marbles rear sights. Mine has it too. "Old Gunsights" book does not mention it is factory, but at local gun shows the majority of the old 71s seem to have them. So many that I am beginning to think the factory may have used them. Any comments?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 71 Winchester mag tube removal and also sights

Post by GunnyMack »

Here ya go-
20190120_171806_crop_604x604.jpg
From Gun Digest book of firearms assembly/disassembly
I'd think about a good soaking with a penetrating oil and maybe leave it in the freezer over night then let it come to room temp before trying to break it loose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Oh my and I have that book!!! Somewhere. Forgot all about it. Thank you.
I cant really soak it in oil as the wood forend is attached...but perhaps I can reach in and put a few drops in from the ejection port.
Thanks again.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome, good luck & keep us posted on your progress!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

coyote nose wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:37 pm
2. Have seen quite a few Model 71s with Marbles rear sights. Mine has it too.

"Old Gunsights" book does not mention it is factory, but at local gun shows the majority of the old 71s seem to have them.

So many that I am beginning to think the factory may have used them.

Any comments ?

While Winchester made many of their own sights, both Lyman & Marble's sights were factory options (a 1930's catalog states: Lyman sights adapted to Winchester Rifles; Marbles sights adapted to Winchester Rifles).